Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I don't know which CA you're talking about but those sure don't look like California coast (Santa Cruz for example) rent prices to me!!!
I wish!!!
missoula apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I loved the add for the 2,400 square foot home renting for $1,250 I think and the place is new. You might be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment in Oxnard for around that price. It will be something built in the late 1950's to the mid 1970's. I don't know of any homes renting for less than $2,200. Most of the homes I know of start at the $2,200 range and that would be for somehting closer to 1,300 Square feet and at least 30 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Back to the OP, can you give us 1 example of a comparable sq ft, age, amenities and rent from Montana to California? I fail to see anything remotely close.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Back to the OP, can you give us 1 example of a comparable sq ft, age, amenities and rent from Montana to California? I fail to see anything remotely close.
And while you are at it compare similar type of towns. I can drive North to Santa Barbara or South to Malibu and both areas have very differant rents than in Oxnard where I live. I am not familiar with Montana but if the city you are comparing is their best, worse, or somewhere in the middle, let us know. If you are in the most expensive city in Montana and the rents are similar to lets say Fresno then your comparing apples to grapes. I can find 5 year old homes in Bakersfield selling for around the $100,000 mark and I can find 30 year old homes in Oxnard selling for $275,000.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The California real estate bubble was interesting,because the magnitude of the real estate rises were directly proportional to how "cool" a town was perceived to be by coastal Californians. For instance, Ashland,Reno, Bozeman, Kalispell, Durango, Bellingham, Arcata, Bend, Chapel Hill, NC, Santa Fe, Flagstaff,Asheville, etc.,etc. were blown through the roof.
Boulder
Fort Collins
Coeur d'Alene
Missoula
Sheridan
Boise
Sandpoint
Great Falls (you'd be surprised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
While Salem, Helena, Moscow, LaGrande, Colville, Baker City, Pittsburgh, Cheyenne, and Cincinnati were not. The result is that places that were quite nice are now simply not affordable to locals dependent upon a wage. Finding a good value in the West now means finding a place YOU like, but that would not appeal to the typical boomer in San Jose with a huge equity tailwind. While the quaint, progressive towns were always more expensive, recently it has become obscene. Although natalie456 would like it to not be so, I don't see it changing overnight. Best thing is to be smart about it. RESEARCH!!!
There's nothing overly impressive about Salem (natural beauty wise).

I got yelled at by the drive-thru lady at the Hardee's in Helena when I asked if they were only serving breakfast. Left a bad taste in my mouth. No wonder people don't want to move there.

IMO Moscow doesn't belong in this list. Moscow is trending towards the others, believe me. It'll be a "it" place soon enough, unfortunately. It has all of the elements needed...

Colville is one small slice of Americana still left in the West. A really small slice. The big attraction there is Wal-Mart. Very economically depressed place, but beautiful. Too small and tucked away for anybody to notice it.

Have you been to Cheyenne? No, really, have you?

IMO, for a town to transition to one of these CA transplant boom-towns, it's got to have at least one iota of natural beauty, (Cheyenne does not have this, unless the color brown really does it for somebody).

I really hope the OP finds what she's looking for. Considering she's on a budget, she likely isn't going to be able to afford to be around the people she wants to be around, but will probably have to put up with the people she can afford to be around.

I for one, wouldn't want to pay to be around any "type" of people. Who cares if the people in Missoula (for example) are _____, ______ and ______? Their supposed politics, beliefs, and "open-ness" don't outright make them good friends and neighbors, most of these "qualities" in these people are forced and fake. They're followers.

Not to mention, there are two waaay more fantastic cities west of Missoula on I-90. When you head east from them, Missoula looks a lot less impressive than the other two, actually, Missoula is quite underwhelming compared to the other two.

OP, first, find out where you can afford. Then narrow it down from there. You can't pick a place first and then find out that you can't afford it.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Don't get me started on Coeur d'Alene/Post Falls.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Don't get me started on Coeur d'Alene/Post Falls.

Now I want to get you started...

CDA was one of the two, PF was not.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 AM

I'm referring to the general area

Well, between the general surly nature of the inhabitants I encountered, the stereotypical "what you doing here, boy?" attitude of the local cops, the amazing amount of skinhead youth, the Nazis marching down Main Street (or whatever they call the main street) in celebration of Hitler's birthday, and the white supremacist compound outside of town... I didn't feel none too welcome.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm referring to the general area

Well, between the general surly nature of the inhabitants I encountered, the stereotypical "what you doing here, boy?" attitude of the local cops, the amazing amount of skinhead youth, the Nazis marching down Main Street (or whatever they call the main street) in celebration of Hitler's birthday, and the white supremacist compound outside of town... I didn't feel none too welcome.
and to think we used to say that about Fontana!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:10 AM

Then I moved here and classed the joint up.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Can't wait to see "The Real Housewives of Fontana".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California