Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

When I was an undergrad, tuition and fees were about a third what they are now.

Quote:
UC Berkeley students took over a campus building in protest this morning, a day after the University of California regents voted to raise tuition by 32 percent.

An undetermined number of protesters have barricaded themselves inside Wheeler Hall, which houses the English department. Several demonstrators wearing bandannas opened a window and used a bullhorn to denounce the regents' decision...

Protesters take over UC Berkeley building (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/20/BA611ANSAB.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
Glad to see that people still go out and fight for what they believe in. The tuition hikes are ridiculous, but I guess the people who are pushing the hikes don't care since after all people need to get educated and they can just take out more debt to pay for it.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
When I was an undergrad, tuition and fees were about a third what they are now.

Protesters take over UC Berkeley building (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/20/BA611ANSAB.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)

Couple of ?'s.. Where were these people and there parents protesting for the last 5 years when California was spending more than it took in? Where were they before crunch time came? Nowhere... Let them get the out there system.. As guaranteed as Monday next week is to come is as guaranteed that we wont hear a peep out of these kids going forward .

People will commit to taking action only after things get bad enough and impacts them.. Since that day hasn't come for the majority.. Look for nothing to be done about this and many other foolishness going on.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:30 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Glad to see that people still go out and fight for what they believe in. The tuition hikes are ridiculous, but I guess the people who are pushing the hikes don't care since after all people need to get educated and they can just take out more debt to pay for it.
I don't call this fighting.. I call this group think .. The result of procrastination and making a scene.. There are real ways they can get their point across... Hey, how about trying to go to a cheaper school elsewhere... How about doing so to reduce your stay to only 3 years.. How about protesting the general way CA handles the budget .. Thereby ensuring your benefactor's health is good enough to fund you.. How about organizing students and promoting the use of that wonderful thing called technology to expand class size (satellite lecture halls) and increasing the number of students that can be served by a professor.. How about getting a national body of students together to fight the every increasing costs of education....

Protesting seems to be in people's blood from what I see though in CA..
From the looks of it.. Nothing gets done from it... It's something to do I guess.. Makes them feel all warm inside like they stood up to the man... Whatever .. CAlifornia media isn't even giving this crap attention anymore.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:39 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Couple of ?'s.. Where were these people and there parents protesting for the last 5 years when California was spending more than it took in? Where were they before crunch time came? Nowhere... Let them get the out there system.. As guaranteed as Monday next week is to come is as guaranteed that we wont hear a peep out of these kids going forward .

People will commit to taking action only after things get bad enough and impacts them.. Since that day hasn't come for the majority.. Look for nothing to be done about this and many other foolishness going on.
They were in high-school 4 or 5 years ago!
Should they have been marching at the state capitol then?

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-20-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
The tuition hikes are ridiculous, but I guess the people who are pushing the hikes don't care
It's not that the people pushing the hikes care one way or the other. The fact is California is dead broke and there is no more money to hand out. And it's only going to get worse. We should all get use to it.

If you want to help out, you can write a check to the Franchise Tax Board and send it to Sacramento. They take all donations - but maybe, you were thinking OTHER people should pay more taxes, but not you?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
My problem with this is that the entire economy in California is in shambles..with the collapse of the housing bubble being a major factor, all the property tax that might have gone into the pot is now gone. It's just the hard fact of the matter. (Not to say that the government or university heads didn't budget wisely and more should have been done earlier).

BUT, where else exactly is the money to support these state run schools supposed to come from? It's still a bargain at 10k or so a yr to get a good education. It would cost around 30-60k a yr in tuition at a private university like Stanford or Yale. I think the students need to take a step back and be grateful that it's still very affordable compared to other schools. We're all hurting in this state..we all have to realize no one entity is going to be spared. Many other state programs (even several health programs for lower income people) have also been cut.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
How about cutting labor costs instead? I'll bet a lot of professors would work for free because of the prestige and the money they get from grants. Amazing how nobody in the public sector ever wants to consider this option. Many big private companies are doing it quite successfully.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I read online that it actually got violent and students and protestors are refusing to leave.

I remember the Wheeler Bldg. There's a huge lecture hall there.

Anyway, Its nice to see Berkeley echo its past political activism. I remember commeting with friends how its become a bit preppy as of late-ick.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
The money has to come from somewhere, the state does not have the money. How do you suggest paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California