Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I read online that it actually got violent and students and protestors are refusing to leave.

I remember the Wheeler Bldg. There's a huge lecture hall there.

Anyway, Its nice to see Berkeley echo its past political activism. I remember commeting with friends how its become a bit preppy as of late-ick.
LOL! This is just so 60s and so Bezerkeley! Some things never change and some communities just never grow up. Must be in their herb!

Now y'all be good and go demonstrate in front of the recruiting offices, ya hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I read online that it actually got violent and students and protestors are refusing to leave.

I remember the Wheeler Bldg. There's a huge lecture hall there.

Anyway, Its nice to see Berkeley echo its past political activism. I remember commeting with friends how its become a bit preppy as of late-ick.
A couple shots to the stomach with a nightstick or a few jolts from the taser should solve the problem.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Some things never change and some communities just never grow up.
Well at least it gives you something else to feel superior about.

Here's hoping Berkeley never changes.

Quote:
Now y'all be good and go demonstrate in front of the recruiting offices, ya hear?
We can't. Code Pink already has that corner covered.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,071,134 times
yeahthatguy, first students and parents of these college hopefuls as was pointed out were probably still in grade school the last 4-5 years and they had nothing to do with CA's spending/budget crisis issues. Not to mention a few years ago college students and the people of CA voted against proposed rate increases. Also, the students don't go to less expensive schools because they were less expensive schools in CA to attend and because they have a better opportunity to be recruited by a top employer. What do you want them to do, go to private school? With the increases students might as well go to a Private School.

VLWH, college students and their parents pay beyond what is asked for. If the colleges can't make their numbers work they should reduce their budgets and stop purchasing and improving buildings and increasing salaries to crazy amounts. I hate that college students and their parents have to go into debt over education. In these financial times putting more financial fuel to the flame for something that was/is already making money could make people stop attending college and or go the online route where CA will loose money. I'll bet colleges from all over right now have to do less marketing these days to attract California students to their online classes due to CA's fee increases.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Glad to see that people still go out and fight for what they believe in. The tuition hikes are ridiculous, but I guess the people who are pushing the hikes don't care since after all people need to get educated and they can just take out more debt to pay for it.
How about they get off their butts and get jobs to help pay the difference? They aren't protesting anything being taken from them, they want their government to go after the incomes of the hard working people to give them whatever it is they want.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
VLWH, college students and their parents pay beyond what is asked for. If the colleges can't make their numbers work they should reduce their budgets and stop purchasing and improving buildings and increasing salaries to crazy amounts. I hate that college students and their parents have to go into debt over education. In these financial times putting more financial fuel to the flame for something that was/is already making money could make people stop attending college and or go the online route where CA will loose money. I'll bet colleges from all over right now have to do less marketing these days to attract California students to their online classes due to CA's fee increases.
They could reduce their budgets, see how the liberal professors deal with salary cuts. Just cut all the wages of the entire university staff by a third and maybe they won't need to raise the tuition.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How about cutting labor costs instead? I'll bet a lot of professors would work for free because of the prestige and the money they get from grants. Amazing how nobody in the public sector ever wants to consider this option. Many big private companies are doing it quite successfully.
I'm certain the professors would be happy to work for less. For the common good and all that stuff they believe in. They can tighten their belts like everyone else must do.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 PM

I'm sure most of the college students already have jobs and these types of increases will see them end up in debt for many, many years. Not for it all. Why would you assume that today's college students don't have jobs? I had like 5 jobs at one time when I was in school.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I'm sure most of the college students already have jobs and these types of increases will see them end up in debt for many, many years. Not for it all. Why would you assume that today's college students don't have jobs? I had like 5 jobs at one time when I was in school.
For one who has time to riot and throw temper tantrums when they have to head to their job right after class?

Especially with tuition as low as $10,000 a year. That's not high compared with what others are paying.

There is no reason that universities and colleges shouldn't have to live with competition just like everything else. Let a university raise it's rates too high and students can take their business elsewhere. These students also have the option of switching over to more affordable colleges, attending a much less expensive community college for 2 years.

Tuition is one of the biggest scams out there but no one forces someone to go along with it.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 AM

I doubt that the kids that wanted to protest the fee increases wanted to go out and riot and not all did. People make time to speak out for their rights. They could have stayed home but their voices would not be heard.

$10K a year is high when you add up all the years they will have to attend college and that does not include their living expenses and text books. You are looking at $40-100K worth of debt when a student graduates, that is too much debt for a young person to handle and who's to say they will all get jobs once finished?

For students 2 years and or one year away from graduating picking up and going elsewhere is not an option & switching from a jr. college while in ones second year doesn't work either. The alternative is more expensive by the way. Going to a jr. college I have always recommended but they are also cutting classes now a days that will help the transfer process and not all units are transferable.

Tuition is a big scam, I agree with you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California