Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 PM

207 posts, read 809,186 times

Advertisements

Retired and looking to move this area. Can someone tell the pro's and cons of this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 PM

35 posts, read 184,233 times
Pros: Natural beauty, nice weather, casual, laid-back lifestyle. Fishing, beachcombing, tidepooling.

Cons: Full of tourists, high home prices, can be damp. Hmm, I can't think of too many cons.

I've visited Pismo and other nearby towns on and off for over 40 years and would move to any of the little cities on the CA central coast. Unfortunately, homes there are just too expensive for us.

Where would you be moving from? What kinds of things are you looking for?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Born and raised in SoCal, but lived all over the West and now in Colorado. Tired of the long winters. Looking for good bike riding, nice weather, etc.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:19 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
How about San Luis Obispo? A short drive to Pismo and Morro Bay but it's inland far enough to get warmer weather and less wind and fog common along the coast.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Possiblity, keep talking.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
The Central Coast is beautiful and my favorite part of the state, but living close to Diablo Canyon would be in the back of my mind. It wouldn't deter me from living there by any means, but I'd still occasionally wonder about it.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM

Good point, I hear ya.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 18,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Retired and looking to move this area. Can someone tell the pro's and cons of this area?
Pismo Beach is cooler and has more fog than Avila Beach. Avila has a charming beach scene, very family friendly and small boardwalk. Its a south facing beach and nice and sunny. It is often gorgeous when Pismo is cold and fogged in. However, prices in Avila are higher and there are much fewer properties available.

Pismo has more "transient people" and higher crime. Shell Beach is nice, the streets are wider and better parking.

San Luis Obispo is a college town, fun and lively but also very casual. More causal of a community than Santa Barbara. SLO county is known for wineries and a laid back attitude "the SLO life".

I have been a real estate agent in SLO county for 10 years and I would be happy to give you more detailed info. Feel free to call or email me.

Lily Otis
Compass Realty
[EMAIL="lilyotis@compassca.com"]lilyotis@compassca.com[/EMAIL]
805-400-9532

Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 AM

86 posts, read 171,668 times
What do you want to spend on a home? Looking for a condo/townhouse or do you want a home with acerage?

Avila Beach, Shell Beach and SLO are all great places to live. But they are the "prime A" locations in South County and you'll pay to live in these towns.

I moved here 10years ago and looked at houses in all three areas and in the end bought a house in Grover Beach just south of Pismo. GB isn't near as nice as Pismo or Shell beach, but the houses are alot cheaper and I'm still only a few blocks from the beach.

The weather here on the coast is pretty constant rarely gets above eighty in the summer or below fifty in the winter. There is fog in the summer, but there are alot more sunny days than overcast foggy days.

If you are a bike rider you'll love it here whether you're a casual rider or a proffesional. The US bike team trained out of Avila a few years ago

Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the info. How does it compare to Carpinteria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California