Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times

Advertisements

How are these two tourist beach towns different and similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:38 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
I've lived in Capitola and been to Pismo so many times that I think I can answer this.

Capitola is right up against Santa Cruz and close to the towns on the other side of the freeway (Aptos and Soquel). It's got a laid-back feel though, just like Pismo Beach, but without the slightly 'carnival' or 'saltwater taffy' feel of PB.

Much more expansive beach at PB, which is conducive to long walks. Both get crowded in summer, but you can almost always find parking somewhere in PB, but not always in Capitola.

Capitola is quaint, attractive village and PB is sort of like a 1950's motel beach resort. Maybe resort is not quite the right word, but you probably get the drift.

PB gets the nod by being closer to SLO, which I think is way nicer than Santa Cruz, but YMMV.

Good wineries inland from both locations. The ones up north are more like "family-style" wineries (smaller and more intimate), for the most part.

Better climate in PB, but who are we kidding?, it's all coastal CA, and it's not Popsicle, Montana in winter.

Both are fairly safe, but there's definitely more weirdness up in the Santa Cruz area.

Monarch butterflies near both places.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I've lived in Capitola and been to Pismo so many times that I think I can answer this.

Capitola is right up against Santa Cruz and close to the towns on the other side of the freeway (Aptos and Soquel). It's got a laid-back feel though, just like Pismo Beach, but without the slightly 'carnival' or 'saltwater taffy' feel of PB.

Much more expansive beach at PB, which is conducive to long walks. Both get crowded in summer, but you can almost always find parking somewhere in PB, but not always in Capitola.

Capitola is quaint, attractive village and PB is sort of like a 1950's motel beach resort. Maybe resort is not quite the right word, but you probably get the drift.

PB gets the nod by being closer to SLO, which I think is way nicer than Santa Cruz, but YMMV.

Good wineries inland from both locations. The ones up north are more like "family-style" wineries (smaller and more intimate), for the most part.

Better climate in PB, but who are we kidding?, it's all coastal CA, and it's not Popsicle, Montana in winter.

Both are fairly safe, but there's definitely more weirdness up in the Santa Cruz area.

Monarch butterflies near both places.
So pismo beach more conservative, more surfer town, and more 1950s resort town.

and capitola is more liberal, village town, and more hipster-ish?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 PM

There's surfing in both places and O'Neills is just down the road right over the town border on the Santa Cruz side from Capitola. Phenomenally good coffee at Verve, just across the street from O'Neills, btw.

The SC area is one of the most liberal you'll find, so, by comparison, probably more liberal than PB, but that probably doesn't mean that much.

Capitola sits down on a shelf of land pretty well surrounded by cliffs and slopes. It's fairly compact. "Downtown" PB is pretty much that one street that leads to the pier (or just north of it). I'm thinking it's Pomeroy Ave. Both are pretty small, but in PB the land extends further out. If you want to get out of the village of Capitola, you head uphill. Capitola proper is actually bigger than the village "downtown", but it looks and feels like suburban CA just about anywhere ($20K houses that are now worth $750K).

Old 02-12-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
There's surfing in both places and O'Neills is just down the road right over the town border on the Santa Cruz side from Capitola. Phenomenally good coffee at Verve, just across the street from O'Neills, btw.

The SC area is one of the most liberal you'll find, so, by comparison, probably more liberal than PB, but that probably doesn't mean that much.

Capitola sits down on a shelf of land pretty well surrounded by cliffs and slopes. It's fairly compact. "Downtown" PB is pretty much that one street that leads to the pier (or just north of it). I'm thinking it's Pomeroy Ave. Both are pretty small, but in PB the land extends further out. If you want to get out of the village of Capitola, you head uphill. Capitola proper is actually bigger than the village "downtown", but it looks and feels like suburban CA just about anywhere ($20K houses that are now worth $750K).
I'm guessing Capitola has richer people living there too.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM

643 posts, read 918,277 times
Capitola is a cool spot to visit, especially if you have never been. Theres a very nice beach and if you follow the coast to santa cruz, there are more nice spots. I dont know much about pismo, but im sure its not as nice as Capitola.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:35 AM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
How are these two tourist beach towns different and similar?

Congestion- much higher in Capitola

Crime- even with Capitola cops working overtime (literally) to dump homeless and just weird road people over into SC, Capitola has its share, and it's higher by several degrees than PB.

Weather- warmer in PB, bigger and better beach. Less crowded and Route 1 past PB is so much better than Route 1 the major surface arteries like 41st, etc. in and around Capitola it's like a different state!

COL- lower by a significant amount in PB... but it would be hard to find a more overpriced area of SC County besides Capitola... unless you are talking about SC!

Liberal town- it's difficult to find a town that gives the term 'Liberal' a worse name than Santa Cruz. At least PB isn't located next to the heroin capitol of CA...

There's a lot more but let's just say if you're homeless, independently wealthy, a fat&happy contractor who grabs his board from the house he inherited from his parents whenever the surf's just right or a heroin dealer who likes quiet people to drop by his quiet house or a tourist wanting to have an overpriced meal and a T-shirt for your grandson from The Boardroom Capitola is perfect...

for real people with real lives PB might be the better choice. Just saying'.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 23,913 times
1865 41st Avenue
Capitola, CA 95010

Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,975,933 times
There were some good posts here, but I take issue with the weather. I'd give the nod to PB in winter, as it's a few degrees warmer and probably a bit sunnier. But the Santa Cruz area is actually a few degrees warmer in summer...so overall I'd say the weather issue might be a draw.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 PM

333 5 Cities Dr #100,
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California