Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 AM

20 posts, read 44,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, and an interesting thing I have observed amoung those most discontent, fed up with CA and planning to leave on the next boat/train/plane out. In the majority of cases their main source of discontentment originates from their inability to buy/afford the house they really want here. They are so deprived in fact that they must move anywhere else where homes are more affordable as if this newly purchased home will somehow solve all their problems. Then and only then will finally experience the good life.
I'm sure cost of housing has run off a lot of Californians, but there are also those who prefer to have more free time, not stuck in traffic or waiting in line; less pollution (asthma disappeared after leaving CA); to actually know all their neighbors and know they will be there to help with anything at anytime; to watch the high school homecoming parade go done main street; to not panic if a child wanders a few feet away; to wave at a friend when a car horn honks instead of duck in case of bullets; the only time you can't find a seat is at PTA meetings AND the added bonus of affordable housing, entertainment, 25 cent an hour public parking; warmer, calmer, cleaner beaches, and lakes, ....
Sure, those without children may not appreciate some of the daily life advantages of "family friendly" communities, but with so many California based or originated services and venues, following the "migration", there's also plenty for the childless among us to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 AM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a G.R.I.T.S. View Post
I'm sure cost of housing has run off a lot of Californians, but there are also those who prefer to have more free time, not stuck in traffic or waiting in line; less pollution (asthma disappeared after leaving CA); to actually know all their neighbors and know they will be there to help with anything at anytime; to watch the high school homecoming parade go done main street; to not panic if a child wanders a few feet away; to wave at a friend when a car horn honks instead of duck in case of bullets; the only time you can't find a seat is at PTA meetings AND the added bonus of affordable housing, entertainment, 25 cent an hour public parking; warmer, calmer, cleaner beaches, and lakes, ....
Sure, those without children may not appreciate some of the daily life advantages of "family friendly" communities, but with so many California based or originated services and venues, following the "migration", there's also plenty for the childless among us to enjoy.
Actually the place we moved to in CA has the majority of these things as well as many other benefits as well. There are many smaller towns in CA beyond the conrete jungle's of LA, SD, OC, SF and Sac. So its not necessary to move out of state to find these things. Explore some other parts of the state and you might be surprised by what you find.

Derek

Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Nicely put, and you just about nailed it. We couldn't afford a home in CA anywhere we would have been willing to live. We're in the process of purchasing a lovely home in a quiet community where the closest lakeshore is just across the street. Children aren't an issue for us but everything else is. No more homeless yelling and screaming in the middle of the night while pushing their shopping carts filled with rattling bottles and cans. No more sirens. No more gun shots. No more ghetto birds. And all that just blocks from the Capitol.

Parking won't be an issue anywhere near us. There's reasonable shopping for groceries and home needs less than 20 miles away. Traffic? What's that?

All-in-all it's precisely what we wanted and best of all, affordable. California is the state of our births so there will be a tug leaving it and the children and grandchildren who live there. But we will also be somewhere they can't wait to visit!

I wish everyone staying all the best and hope they have found or will find just what they're looking for right where they are.

There's no place like home! Just find it!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:03 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,938,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I may not live forever - but the inheritance in the form of appreciated real estate will.

And, for the purposes of estate planning, a primary residence is not a countable asset when eligibility for Medi-Cal financing of nursing homes in considered. This means, Joe from his $4M home gets "free" nursing home care while Bill, with $3M in the bank has to spend almost all of it before he is eligible for Medi-Cal
If Joe lives in a 4M home he'd have to have rocks in his head to trade that for a nursing home!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Yep, good riddance to all of us native Californians that were providing jobs, buying homes and paying alot of taxes. Typical arrogant response.

Tastes change, esp as you get older, you'll be sick of that apartment some day.

Ignorance is bliss.

lmao
LOL at you calling my response arrogance when you think you're the backbone of CA. Just as many people come here than leave and no they are not all illegals. CA is huge don't flatter yourself.

My "Apartment" is more like a town house and no I don't see myself getting sick of it being that I'm surrounded by parks and things to do. Speak for yourself, but i'm not moving halfway across the country to buy a house, I'd rather rent a house in CA than buy one in some state I have no family or friends in. "LMAO"

Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM

4,081 posts, read 5,612,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
LOL at you calling my response arrogance when you think you're the backbone of CA. Just as many people come here than leave and no they are not all illegals. CA is huge don't flatter yourself.

My "Apartment" is more like a town house and no I don't see myself getting sick of it being that I'm surrounded by parks and things to do. Speak for yourself, but i'm not moving halfway across the country to buy a house, I'd rather rent a house in CA than buy one in some state I have no family or friends in. "LMAO"
Never said that I was the "backbone". I owned a house in California too, now I just own more of them

You think I'm Speaking for you? You really are arrogant, of course I'm speaking for myself. Brought lots of family with me and was surprised how easy it was to make new friends, I almost forgot what nice people were like.

Parks and things to do? Wow!! wish we had some of that in OK.

People have been leaving California by the millions in the last decade, not sure why you would think otherwise. Oh yeah, that arrogance thing.

California Population and Components of Change

Oh and the original article where you stated people were "moving to OKC to buy 5,000 SF homes" is just plain false. Linky below.

" and you'll hear a lot of similar themes: easier to find a job; cheaper to buy or rent a home; better place to make a fresh start. Ask them why they stay in Oklahoma and they'll add to that list a deep optimism that it's a place where things are about to take off."

"Oklahoma City is like Sacramento back when the Kings were in the playoffs," said Branddon Jones, 26, who moved about a year ago to get out of Del Paso Heights. "It's growing. You can get a job. It's just crazy."
http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/1944947.html?storylink=pd (broken link)

Last edited by nevergoingback; 08-10-2009 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,798 times
Quote:
Blah Blah blah
Good for you, I'm glad you feel Oklahoma is better and has more things to do than the San Francisco Bay Area (Comedy) yes I'm sure Oklahoma City has a park like Golden Gate Park, world class restaurants and events and an Ocean.. Yes Oklahoma City is a Utopia that's why million of tourist go there every year right. Oh wait.

I just wonder why are you on this forum? It's funny when people who that claim to hate California and left always, hang around on the forum to let everybody know it. It's suspect and if you could afford it you would be here. You seem upset that you were forced to move.

Go check the population of California a decade ago compared to today. Millions leave Millions come. Oh but let me guess they are all illegals from Mexico right?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,612,397 times
Quote:
It's suspect and if you could afford it you would be here. You seem upset that you were forced to move.

Go check the population of California a decade ago compared to today. Millions leave Millions come. Oh but let me guess they are all illegals from Mexico right?
Are you insinuating that I'm prejudiced? Thats kind of ironic. Because you are assuming alot of things about my situation. Your assumptions are definitely a form of prejudice.

Dude get it through your head, not everyone moves because they "can't afford it". Money don't mean much, and I had plenty of it in CA.

I moved at will for better opportunity, mainly for my kids. I got in the CA RE before the bubble formed, my mortgage barely got lower when I moved.

I think its more funny that someone says "CA has something for everybody" "if everyone could live here they would" LMFAO.

About the pop, I guess you didn't read the link I posted from the Census bureau, over 1 million more people left CA in the last decade than moved in. Let me guess, they were all forced out right? Only stoopid, poor people don't like California because everyone else knows that it is the greatest state in the entire US

Do I sound upset? Funny, I've never been happier in my life. Alot of it has to do with moving out of a craphole town in Coastal CA and not having to deal with dirty scumbags every time I want to go out and have a good time, oh yeah, and moving to a really nice city in Native America.

FWIW Tulsa>OKC anyways

It's not my intention to get in a pissing match with you, I just feel that when you spew out so much misinformation it should be addressed.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 08-10-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Good for you, I'm glad you feel Oklahoma is better and has more things to do than the San Francisco Bay Area (Comedy) yes I'm sure Oklahoma City has a park like Golden Gate Park, world class restaurants and events and an Ocean.. Yes Oklahoma City is a Utopia that's why million of tourist go there every year right. Oh wait.

I just wonder why are you on this forum? It's funny when people who that claim to hate California and left always, hang around on the forum to let everybody know it. It's suspect and if you could afford it you would be here. You seem upset that you were forced to move.

Most of California's population growth is coming from births, not in-migration. And a disproportionate number of those births are indeed coming from Latinos, who are also disproportionately poor. The yuppies who move here from other parts of the US (and the world) tend to have fewer kids. The population growth rate has slowed down considerably in recent decades. High cost of living and restrictive growth policies surely play a significant role.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
About the pop, I guess you didn't read the link I posted from the Census bureau, over 1 million more people left CA in the last decade than moved in. Let me guess, they were all forced, I mean only stoopid people don't like California because it is the greatest state in the entire US
You and CityBoy both seem fond of only teling 1/2 a story. Yes, a million people did leave. But the population is still going up because of births.

I do agree with you that a lot of Californians have gotten complacent/arrogant and are not paying attention to the corrpution, rot, and general anti-buisness, anti-growth policies that are hurting our economy.

That said, I don't think the picture is quite as dire as you point out. That doesn't mean it won't be in the future, but not at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California