Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,292,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, and an interesting thing I have observed amoung those most discontent, fed up with CA and planning to leave on the next boat/train/plane out. In the majority of cases their main source of discontentment originates from their inability to buy/afford the house they really want here. They are so deprived in fact that they must move anywhere else where homes are more affordable as if this newly purchased home will somehow solve all their problems. Then and only then will finally experience the good life.
It is a weird phenomenon that I read about in the paper, all these ex Californian's moving to Oklahoma City to buy huge 5000 + sq. foot homes. It was like reading a bunch of people trying to convince themselves that it was a great move for them. I didn't buy it.

After you have the huge house then what? I don't spend much time in doors anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wonder if this thread would exist if CA housing prices didn't get so out of whack in the first place.
If California didn't have as much to offer as it does, houses would be dirt cheap. I've said it before, California has everything all states offer wrapped into one state.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:40 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,187,854 times
I don't see anyone here denying that renting or buying small has certain advantages and that it may be a better option than owning for many people. But for many others, a buying an affordable home makes much more sense, even if that requires a big move.

For my wife and I, moving away from CA was the best thing we could have done, even though there are plenty of things about CA that we miss. For others, selling their home, downsizing and staying in CA has worked out much better.

Just which aspect of human nature is it that causes people to get incensed when the decisions and life courses of others do not resemble anything close to their own? Jealousy, pride, or other?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,770,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
If California didn't have as much to offer as it does, houses would be dirt cheap. I've said it before, California has everything all states offer wrapped into one state.
It had the same exact stuff ten years ago before the housing bubble caused house prices to triple for no apparent reason.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:36 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Just which aspect of human nature is it that causes people to get incensed when the decisions and life courses of others do not resemble anything close to their own? Jealousy, pride, or other?
I don't think anyone is saying home ownership in and of itself is a bad thing. The original question really is does living a happy and fullfilled life in CA necessitate home ownership? And my primary point is that for our family the answer is no.

Secondarily speaking from a financial standpoint buying a home is not always the best decision. For some it might be while for others it clearly is not. Are there benefits to home ownership? Of course. At least for us we will still consider it again at some point. But there are a lot of pros/cons which must be weighed. And those can be vary a lot from person to person, family to family. But will that somehow make our lives more meaningful or fullfilled in CA if/when we do? Absolutely not.

Laslty because of life's uncertainties these choices can and do go in many directions for many people. They can work out for the better or worse. A job change, a layoff, a market crash, a death in the family, a sudden life threatening illness, etc... can impact one's 30 year plan.

There is no one right answer for everyone. But hopefully one's sense of meaning, fullfillment and identity are not derived from the things they own including the home they live in.

My 2c,

Derek

Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,187,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There is no one right answer for everyone. But hopefully one's sense of meaning, fullfillment and identity are not derived from the things they own including the home they live in.
That's certainly true. And we should expect no sense of meaning, fullfillment or identity to be derived from the things we RENT either.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,072,342 times
Cityboy, If anyone moves to have a big house out of state that is just stupid. It use to bother me that when I've lived in other states my friends and family would suggest that people who have moved out of state were trying to convince themselves that they didn't miss CA with a house not understanding that there is more to it than that. There are plenty advantages and disadvantages people will have whether they stay or leave.

A friend of mine just lost her job. Luckily her husband still has his job but they just had a baby. Too many friends of mine are relocating to all kinds of places when they find themselves in a similar boat because they can't live off of one income here. If they could they would stay.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Cityboy, If anyone moves to have a big house out of state that is just stupid. It use to bother me that when I've lived in other states my friends and family would suggest that people who have moved out of state were trying to convince themselves that they didn't miss CA with a house not understanding that there is more to it than that. There are plenty advantages and disadvantages people will have whether they stay or leave.

A friend of mine just lost her job. Luckily her husband still has his job but they just had a baby. Too many friends of mine are relocating to all kinds of places when they find themselves in a similar boat because they can't live off of one income here. If they could they would stay.
This was actually the reason we left to CO originally. So I can relate to this experience. With the birth of our third child and living on one income CA just wasn't affordable even from a renting perspective where we were at (Torrance). So in that case moving to CO worked well for us for a season of our lives. And we all enjoyed it. I was also able to build my professional skills and earning potential while there.

Now that we are back several years later we can better afford living here with our family. And we are really enjoying being back in CA. But for some it might not be the best place depending on their life stage, profession, family, obligations, etc... It really is an individual thing. Not a one size fits all thats for sure. But if one can swing it, CA is still a nice place to live.

Derek

Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,612,953 times
OKC>Oakland. jes sayin. If you've never been, I wouldn't expect you to "buy it"

Noone is moving from CA to OK for "big houses" they are moving to get away from the scumbags and ****ty people.

It also doesn't hurt if you can go with 200K in your pocket!! LOL!!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
OKC>Oakland. jes sayin. If you've never been, I wouldn't expect you to "buy it"

Noone is moving from CA to OK for "big houses" they are moving to get away from the scumbags and ****ty people.

It also doesn't hurt if you can go with 200K in your pocket!! LOL!!
That's your opinion and good riddance. If you feel a land locked city in the middle of nowhere with terrible weather and tornado's is better than Oakland then I don't know what to tell you. Oakland is one city in a great area of 7 million plus people, if you let a few jerks cause you to move, that's pretty sad.

Where in Oklahoma City can I find this?

Oh yea I can't , I've been I drove across country. It sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California