Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,293,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
UC Merced is a good school but most of the students at UC Merced find it even more slow-paced than Sacramento, Fresno, or Bakersfield.

The Merced campus sits several miles out of town and Merced is a small city that has not become a college town yet. So there is little even in town designed to appeal to students yet.
Yeah, I would recommend Cal state (Eastbay). Hayward is a cheaper city to live in in the bay area and is close to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 AM

130 posts, read 525,008 times
bakersfield, with out a doubt only for the reason that its an hour and a half away from l.a.

but.....if it was me, and i was hell bent on l.a. i would just move straight there and "make it happen," if u know what i mean. you could always rent a room in house for the same price as having your own place in bakersfield/fresno or stay in a "less desirable area". l.a. is just huge with so much opportunity/possibilities, and after living there for a year (rather than in bako/fresno), u will know where to live, where not to live, how to get around the city, you will make friends "IN" l.a. who will still be your friends after a year (it would be funny to move to bako/fresno, and make friends, then like u said, after a year move to l.a., only to make friends all over again). also.....much greater job opportunities in l.a. as well as other universities/colleges (plan b), and besides the nightlife, the beach, the woman, man.....u gotta go straight to l.a. and forget this whole bakersfield or fresno debate in order to save money.

to be honest, i dont think u will really be saving that much money, thats why im saying skip bako/fresno and go straight to l.a., best of luck on your decision.

side note: i lived in bako for a year, i lived in l.a. for a year, and......i drove thru fresno once.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 16,655 times
Thanks alot. Yeah I might just move to L.A. and work it out. I really want to find out more about the halt on accepting students for Cal State and if anyone knows exactly how long this is going to last. Thats really my main concern.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 PM

130 posts, read 525,008 times
q? do you have any friends here in ca?

if so, do what so many other ppl do to become a ca state resident (they come here to ca and visit during the week and go to the ca dmv and take a test to get a california drivers license). the sooner you have a ca drivers license the sooner you can establish being a ca state resident.

be careful and do not surrender your drivers license from your state. the ca dmv official will ask for your old license (so they can destroy it), but.....do what i did, and just say......"i lost my drivers license and im moving to california." this way u can keep your drivers license from your home state, and in a couple of weeks you will have your new ca drivers license.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 AM

10 posts, read 26,086 times
Yea ima say Fresno!
so much to do out here that people dont kno about, i mean we are a notorious city that is known for its negativities but it is simply a great city!!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Default I'm Giving You More Options...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuredocJ View Post
I'm a city boy from Chicago but I'm currently trapped in Greenville, South Carolina. Ideally I want to move to L.A. to go to school (Cal State LA or UCLA) but it's too expensive as an out-of-state resident so I was going to move to a cheaper part of Cali (ie. Fresno or Bakersfield),

Howest2008.....Since you are a city boy from Chicago I would
advise you not to move to Los Angeles (nor) The San Francisco
Bay Area...Among The Highest Price Of Living IN THE WORLD.
Sacramento isn't as BAD but it's expensive never the less.Here
are the (4) Choices I would Recommend..!
(A) Fresno California
Fresno, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(B)Lancaster California
Lancaster, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(C) Palmdale California
Palmdale, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(D) Bakerfield California
Bakersfield, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honorable Mention
Victorville California
Victorville, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stockton California
Stockton, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and live for atleast a yr that way I can qualify for in-state-residency and move to L.A. later.

I did that once in OKLAHOMA you see I'm 40% Oklahoman and
55% Californian and went back to Oklahoma for 2 1/2 years in
1988-90 and decided to also pick up some College credits
, and I can tell you how to do it without lying about it , Drive
your car to CA with Ill. tags on it and get yourself CA tags and keep
your Ill. tags (that) way you can get a driver license "off the fact'
of you having CA tags without them asking you to hand over
your licenses.

I'm 20 yrs old and dont want to be bored out of my mind for the year so I was wondering if you guys could tell me which city between Bakersfield or Fresno would be better for me (ie. jobs, cheaper cost of living, better nightlife, more things to do, places to go)....and my mind is also open to other inexpensive California cities. Thanks.
Fresno has the best Live Arena Concert Venues of all the Valley
Cities Redding...Sacramento...Stockton...Modesto...Merced ...
Visalia...Bakersfield. If the freeways were a option you could
drive from Lancaster/Palmdale/Victorville in less than an hour,
but that won't work if you decide on that area take Rail Down TO
LA.Other night life that you may desire is totaly a (Toss Up) depending
on the people that you meet in the city that you choose.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times
Fresno.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,852,731 times
When I moved to CA from OK I had to surrender my OK tags to the DMV when I got my CA tags. You might get away with saying you lost your driver's license [although I think it's doubtful--they would probably want to see your current license to ensure you are who you say you are, also you will have to take a driving test if they think you currently don't have a license from another state] but I doubt they will let you keep your old tags. I had a heck of a time just getting CA tags due to all the various documentation requirements in CA as opposed to Oklahoma.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Default You Are The Oklahoma "To" California Expert........

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
When I moved to CA from OK I had to surrender my OK tags to the DMV when I got my CA tags. You might get away with saying you lost your driver's license [although I think it's doubtful--they would probably want to see your current license to ensure you are who you say you are,

There's a whole lot more 'red tape' coming from OK to CA , but
you can establish identity by a 'birth certificate' , social security
card , military DD 214 etc.

also you will have to take a driving test

Yeah I took a driving test in Oklahoma...

if they think you currently don't have a license from another state] but I doubt they will let you keep your old tags. I had a heck of a time just getting CA tags due to all the various documentation requirements in CA as opposed to Oklahoma.
That was sometime between 1988 and 1990 , and I had no
problem keeping my california tags , as a matter of fact I
slapped my California tags "back" on when I got ready to
come back out to California.Of course I had to pay double
registration to both STATES.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM

Default Oklahoma To California A Family Migration...........

My Great Grand Father was the first in my family to Move out to
California , and he did it during the (Great Depression)/(Great Dust Bowl)
Era.....he was sort of a African American Okie....I made it out to CA
in 1976 IN THE MILITARY......And it's funny how the (Great) (BIG VALLEY)
has fallen behind the State Of OKLAHOMA take for instants ..Redding....
Sacramento....Stockton...Modesto...Merced....Fresn o/Hanford........
Visalia.....Bakersfield to which 95% of the Okie's went , however my
Great Grand Father when to ....Fresno.....
The urban area's of TULSA and OKLAHOMA CITY economics are
healthier and they are a lot EXCITING and have MORE GOING ON CHECK
MY LINKS......

FRESNO/HANFORD.....
Hanford Events & Concerts | Upcoming Events in Hanford, CA - Eventful

TULSA OKLAHOMA BOK CENTER...........
BOK Center

TULSA OKLAHOMA CAIN BALLROOM?CLUB.......
Concerts :: Live Music :: Tulsa, OK :: Cain's Ballroom

Tulsa World: Oklahoma venues top ticket sales charts

OKLAHOMA CITY FORD CENTER.........
Oklahoma Ford Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California