Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,484,971 times

Advertisements

To each's own, there's really no "right or wrong" as long as it's only YOU to support. If you have kids and a family it would be dangerous to them if you were to quit a job right now and try to move somewhere. Some (most) don't take these kinds of risks. Being single with not much going on, I would love to pack up the car and just go to California...but I'm finally wising up that it can't be done in this economy. Right now we're all pretty much screwed. Get the snow scraper out....again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 PM

314 posts, read 936,640 times
My sister does this. She just returned form texas where she kept getting laid off. She quit her job here in ca and moved to texas with no job. First it was Atlanta, then it was San Antonio. Now that she is back in ca, she cant find a job. I had to pay her rent for her this month because of her bad decisons.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,075,848 times
What is family for? At least you are there for her and I hope she would do the same for you.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
What is family for? At least you are there for her and I hope she would do the same for you.
But at some point she has to grow up, she is a 40 years old. She has quit a total of 3 decent paying jobs to move to all these other states with her 2 teenage children with no job. Because she doesnt "like california because it is to expensive" but yet you go to these other states and you are still calling us in ca to ask for money. When she is here she has an apartment but when she gets to these other places she moves in with friends, finds a job after a couple of months (by then her friends are begging for her to go), gets an apartment, gets laid off, loses the apartment and then she's back in ca. Then we have to help her start all over. This is getting old.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,516,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
But at some point she has to grow up, she is a 40 years old. She has quit a total of 3 decent paying jobs to move to all these other states with her 2 teenage children with no job. Because she doesnt "like california because it is to expensive" but yet you go to these other states and you are still calling us in ca to ask for money. When she is here she has an apartment but when she gets to these other places she moves in with friends, finds a job after a couple of months (by then her friends are begging for her to go), gets an apartment, gets laid off, loses the apartment and then she's back in ca. Then we have to help her start all over. This is getting old.

You sort of need to mention all of that in your first post lol...40 w/teenage kids slightly changes the playing field.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 PM

whydoyoucare, your family needs to have a talk with her. These are serious times at the moment and depending how long it takes for this recession/depression to pass people are finding themselves having to live with family and friends and I can only imagine over time this will become the norm and or worse outcomes (homelessness). So if she is moving around all over the place and you guys have to foot the bill as a family you have to communicate the burden to your family and personal finances as well as the effects it has on her kids. CA is so expensive so I can't blame her desire to move but you can help her better plan maybe if another state is where she wants to be. Or, just convince her to stay especially if your family can be of support to her.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
whydoyoucare, your family needs to have a talk with her. These are serious times at the moment and depending how long it takes for this recession/depression to pass people are finding themselves having to live with family and friends and I can only imagine over time this will become the norm and or worse outcomes (homelessness). So if she is moving around all over the place and you guys have to foot the bill as a family you have to communicate the burden to your family and personal finances as well as the effects it has on her kids. CA is so expensive so I can't blame her desire to move but you can help her better plan maybe if another state is where she wants to be. Or, just convince her to stay especially if your family can be of support to her.
Thanks for the advice Bayarea-girl. We have tried this but when she moves she tells us the day before she is moving. How crazy is that? She's real secretive about everything until she needs money. And right now she is mad and is not speaking to me because I didnt accompany her to check on her grown daughter. I told her my son had a fever and I had to take him to the doctor. She got mad. I personally think she is bipolar but she will not get help, she will not even admit that she has a problem She's totally unreasonable.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 AM

Well, that is really messed up that she won't speak to you. But before she makes any more moves I would still let her know what impact her requests for money might have on you and your family and let her know that her behavior sucks. The only other thing you can do is let her make her own mistakes and for her to find ways to get out of her own situations no matter how bad they may seem on her own. Sometimes the best help we can give others is a genuine shoulder and an ear and no money. Dealing with family is not always easy. Good luck to you.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:46 AM

132 posts, read 427,293 times
I'm only 23, but I've moved three times to different states without jobs lined up. Last time was Summer of 2006 when the economy was still decent, and even then, I wouldn't recommend it. I'll be the first to admit I was foolish 2 out of the 3 times, but for my own sanity and personal reasons it had to be done.

I'd also like to point out that I was young, single, and no kids - but I have absolutely no family whatsoever. I don't have any friends that would bail me out if anything went wrong. I went hungry many nights and was homeless for a portion of my time during the moves because of this. I've learned over the past few years that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and you'll eventually get sick of the place you think you'll love.

That's not to say I like it in Sacramento - I hate it here, can't stand it. But I also didn't move here intentionally - I just came where the jobs were. During the time I moved to California, San Diego's job market wasn't too hot so this was my only resort at that point. And I plan on moving again. I would've hoped it was this summer, but with the lack of openings of where I'm looking to move and not too many opportunities in the part of the state I want to move to, I'm stuck.

With all this being said, moving anywhere without a job unless you have a substantial nest egg saved up is completely foolish. I was laid off in October and it took me 7 months to find steady employment again. I know some people who were laid off at the same time I was and are still unable to find work.

Trust me, if locals with a skill set can't get that job, the same company isn't going to hire some schmo from another part of the country with the same skills either.

There's no magical city that has jobs for everyone - if there was, people would move there and all the jobs would be filled. I just know in most of the state of California there's nothing to be had. I'm in school now so hopefully by the time I graduate the economy won't be as rough as it is and I can get the hell out of here - but for now I'm making do with what I can. That's how a lot of people need to see it.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,484,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
I'm only 23, but I've moved three times to different states without jobs lined up. Last time was Summer of 2006 when the economy was still decent, and even then, I wouldn't recommend it. I'll be the first to admit I was foolish 2 out of the 3 times, but for my own sanity and personal reasons it had to be done.

I'd also like to point out that I was young, single, and no kids - but I have absolutely no family whatsoever. I don't have any friends that would bail me out if anything went wrong. I went hungry many nights and was homeless for a portion of my time during the moves because of this. I've learned over the past few years that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and you'll eventually get sick of the place you think you'll love.

That's not to say I like it in Sacramento - I hate it here, can't stand it. But I also didn't move here intentionally - I just came where the jobs were. During the time I moved to California, San Diego's job market wasn't too hot so this was my only resort at that point. And I plan on moving again. I would've hoped it was this summer, but with the lack of openings of where I'm looking to move and not too many opportunities in the part of the state I want to move to, I'm stuck.

With all this being said, moving anywhere without a job unless you have a substantial nest egg saved up is completely foolish. I was laid off in October and it took me 7 months to find steady employment again. I know some people who were laid off at the same time I was and are still unable to find work.

Trust me, if locals with a skill set can't get that job, the same company isn't going to hire some schmo from another part of the country with the same skills either.

There's no magical city that has jobs for everyone - if there was, people would move there and all the jobs would be filled. I just know in most of the state of California there's nothing to be had. I'm in school now so hopefully by the time I graduate the economy won't be as rough as it is and I can get the hell out of here - but for now I'm making do with what I can. That's how a lot of people need to see it.
Good post. Yeah right now is a horrible time for everyone. It feels like life and dreams are put on hold with everyone lately. It's like our society has taken several steps back, instead of forward. It's sad. It sucks to think I'll grow old and have to stay in the rust belt. Also those in CA who want to leave are stuck as well because the entire country is in bad shape. At least my home is paid off and I have only utilities as my only bills, if I was stuck in CA right now with this economy I don't know how I'd make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California