Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2007, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 33,742 times

Advertisements

I got a job with a manufacturing company out in Stockton, CA. I would like to live in a community that is safe and not inhabited with gangs. Can anyone give me a recommendation? My limit for commuting would prob be around 30 miles. I have heard about Tracy/Mountain House, CA. Is this area OK? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance....

Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I lived in Stockton for 3 years, while attending University of the Pacific... parts of that town are VERY shady, especially around the south-east & central-east neighborhoods. I lived in what's known as "Brookside", near I-5 and March Lane, and it's a pretty nice area. It's also nicer around UOP's campus, the north-west, and most of the northern parts. Outside of Stockton, Lodi is a fairly cute place, though some call it "hick-ish" & it possibly has some gang activity. Tracy is okay, but I'd call it boring and stripmall central, if you know what I mean. You might want to consider Manteca, French Camp, and possibly the small town of Morada (I think it's a bit pricey). Will you be renting or buying, and what kind of budget do you have? Those details are very important in choosing which is best!

Old 02-15-2007, 02:13 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Is this the same as "moving to Tracy. . need advice"

Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 82,293 times
I asked a similar question in my thread @ [url="https://www.city-data.com/forum/california/86769-turlock-stockton.html"] asking for opinions about living in Stockton vs. Turlock. You might find some of the responses there helpful in your decision.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 19,446 times
be very, very careful in that area. i lived in stockton for 31 years, left 3 years ago because of (just to name a few reasons) the gangs, drugs, high housing costs, declining school, lowlifes, declining employment if you aren't bilingual. read the news section of the local paper recordnet.com and you get an accurate picture of stockton and the surrounding areas.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 22,524 times
I live near by Stockton,is danger if you do not know the area. You migth come first to Stockton and see for your self. Stockton is not a good area especially if you have children. Gangs,drug,prostitution. They are trying hard to lift up the downtown a bit, but i will take a while,because they have to start clean up with all the bad reputation they have now. May be Manteca is good choice. Tracy is boring but is near to Bay Area. More Expensive. More traffic, but they have clean strees and better schools and more restaurants.Modesto is the stolen car capital of the US, plus many gang problems. There are constant shootings. bad schools. Its one of the larger cities in the area, but many problems.

Recomendations:
Tracy: Clean, good schools, growing fast and close to the Bay Area. (But a bit expensive)
Manteca: Paced growth, low crime, close to bay area freeways
Lodi: Small Town, Low crime, very clean. (Not much commerce,boring for young couples)
Hope this helps you.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 38,209 times
Default Husband liked Brookside area; should I talk him out of it?

I have read most of the threads/postings regarding relocating to Stockton. It sounds like, in general, its bad - but reviews of the I-5 (Brookside, etc.) areas seem mixed. My husband is going to be working in the Port of Stockton area for approximately two years, so we have to temporarily relocate to that area from small-town Michigan (Ann Arbor area). We have wonderful everything here - schools, low crime, great neighborhood- just a fairly bad climate and current economic recession.

My question is, my husband recently visited and felt that the Brookside area (and other gated communities nearby) were fine. I'm still worried because of everything I read. Trying to balance the commute for him, and safety/schools for our children. We are not wealthy, but expense is not a huge factor because we will be covered for those two years by my husband's employer. We are looking to rent a fairly large house.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Try Linden east of Stockton or Valley Springs further up the hill

Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 AM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
Brookside is hands down the nicest area of stockton. Children who live in brookside who go to public schools are part of the Lincoln school district which usually always out performs stockton unified schools.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 38,209 times
Default If you had your choice....

Thank you for your replies to my post about the Brookside area. I have combed over the School Accountability Report and other information regarding the Brookside Elementary School and can't find much to complain about. In fact, there is much more cultural diversity in that school (compared to here in Michigan) which is great.

Brookside being the best part of Stockton, however, would you choose it over Elk Grove, Lodi or Valley Springs? Do you think its worth the commute to choose one of those areas over Brookside?

Thanks so much for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California