Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,034,996 times

Advertisements

Was hearing on talk shows about threats in CA to release criminals if voters did not dish out the cash.

My thought was "sure, release them and hand out some guns to the responsible segment of the populace".

You ever realized what people might be willing to pay to carry concealed legally?

Here in Oregon, it's like $60 for a 4 year license. I'd wager, that in California, if they made licenses available to more law abiding folks, those people would be willing to pay $300 for a 4 year conceal carry license. In fact, it would be very realistic if they were wiling to pay a one-time $500 fee for a initial 2 year license, with renewals being 4 year licenses at $100 or $200 dollars.

Of course these go to people who take a class and have a clean record.

Do you realize how much that would help California's financial deficit?

Also, virtually every state that has made conceal carry more prevalent, has experienced no correlating crime increase. The opposite actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,617,967 times
There would be a million-to-one chance of California ever passing such a law!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,894,101 times
Exactly what we need, eight million loonies running around with guns... It might tend to stop a few crimes, but plenty of innocent people would get killed in the process..!
If you could assure me no one carring would ever take a drink or get mad at someone....... It all works under ideal circumstances, but how often do we have ideal circumstances....?>

Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,246,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There would be a million-to-one chance of California ever passing such a law!
I'd say more like a billion to one.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,246,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Exactly what we need, eight million loonies running around with guns... It might tend to stop a few crimes, but plenty of innocent people would get killed in the process..!
If you could assure me no one carring would ever take a drink or get mad at someone....... It all works under ideal circumstances, but how often do we have ideal circumstances....?>
Many states have concealed carry, and those states dont have the problem you are stating.
Think about it: Loonies dont obey laws and will carry with or without a permit. Good people obey the law and dont carry without a permit. Permitting doesn't create a more dangerous environment.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
All depends on where in CA you live...

Some areas the local Chief of Police or Sheriff are very open about CCWP and others like San Francisco and Oakland publicly state it is against policy...

So it's not as much of a State issue as it is a local issue.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
Quote:
Exactly what we need, eight million loonies running around with guns...
Oh my goodness. Ya don't suppose some of those "loonies" might be sober, sane, mature individuals who abide by the laws of the land and are actually capable of thinking, do you?

I'm moving to a "must issue" state which also has a "castle doctrine" on the books. I'm a former career soldier and former cop. I know just a little bit about firearms, including when it's not appropriate to use one.

But I'm gratifide to know that if I sought a permit here in CA I'd be reclassified as a loony. Would that show up on my drivers license?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,732,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Do you realize how much that would help California's financial deficit?
You don't get it. You can't send enough money to Sacramento. You can legalize and tax carry permits, weed, prostitution and anything else you can think of and it won't help. For every dollar sent to Sacramento, they spend $1.50 and the deficit just doesn't go away.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,325,306 times
My county sheriff charges $150 for an intial application and $105 per year thereafter. It's been done.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:26 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,937,821 times
Quote:

Apparently, you've never driven through Central California?

And if you have, was it like the unlawful Wild West of the movies like you just described?

If not, than your little theory has just been "shot down". I'm willing to bet that if you have gone though there, you had no clue as to how many CWP people there were around you.

But it's people like you that make it so CWP's are hard to come by in certain parts of the state. Irrational fears of random gun slingin', which never actually come to fruition, but the talk of it is enough to keep some people from passing laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California