Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

LOL @ Twinkle. All the Floridans I ever met cursed their bugs there, and wish they had it as good as us. (I don't have any Internet Floridian friends as far as I can tell, although I'd like to be friends with them.)

Don't Floridians have what they call a "Florida room?" It's like our patios in CA but in FL they are screened in, and in CA we don't need the screen? Why is that if it isn't for the bugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
LOL @ Twinkle. All the Floridans I ever met cursed their bugs there, and wish they had it as good as us. (I don't have any Internet Floridian friends as far as I can tell, although I'd like to be friends with them.)

Don't Floridians have what they call a "Florida room?" It's like our patios in CA but in FL they are screened in, and in CA we don't need the screen? Why is that if it isn't for the bugs?
It's to protect against mosquito's & all kinds of other creeped-out bugs in Florida. We are incredibly fortunate that insects are not a major problem in California because our summers are dry. No storm puddles all over the place like the jungle-like humidity of Florida.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

No, there's a guy in the California forums, of all places, who calls himself The Floridian. He brags all the time about his faboo vacations, and the hot ladies relentlessly chasing him down. You can see his posts in the thread about Is the California Dream Dead, or something like that.

I have relatives in Florida, and they have "Florida Rooms" too. We used to have a room, but we called it the exercise room because that's where the exercise equipment was. You wanna know why they call it a Stairmaster? Because you go out there and just stare at it!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
It's to protect against mosquito's & all kinds of other creeped-out bugs in Florida. We are incredibly fortunate that insects are not a major problem in California because our summers are dry. No storm puddles all over the place like the jungle-like humidity of Florida.
Yes, indeed you are right. We are truly fortunate that we don't have no-see-ums. Trust me I've encountered them while camping in UT and AZ. True to their name you can't see them and they mess you up good. You know they are there but you can't see 'em. They bite you around your eyes and in other sweaty areas like your hat brim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No, there's a guy in the California forums, of all places, who calls himself The Floridian...
I know nothing about Florida other than what I heard. I've been there once, in transit to a Carribean cruise.

I'll leave that guy alone. He never messed with me. Let sleeping dogs lie.

(As an aside, what would dogs ever have to lie about?)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 PM

There, of-course, are bugs in California but they never seem to be all that troublesome. We don't have screens on all the windows so at this hour of the evening there are insects [moths\ some mosquitoes - neighbors have a large pond\ there's a very large insect that looks like a huge mosquito but doesn't bit & is so clumsy that even the cats catch & eat em \ also other creepy looking bugs & a few spiders [none of which bite]. Unfortunately there is a large bee hive in the side of the house that are attracted to the light at night but rarely sting. No cockroaches at my place but plenty of ants.

Overall, we don't suffer from bugs unlike so many other states. Wait till Curmudgeon encounters flying cockroaches; he'll come running back to California

Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
I haven't seen a Scorpion in CA unless I am out Mountain Biking.

When I was at school in Tempe, AZ we would find Scorpions in our books, under posters, sofa...everywhere.

AZ was just plain crazy, those little Rock Scorpions would put you in the hospital for a few days.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 PM

I also don't see scorpions around Los Angeles though they exist in the hilly open land areas. There are, however, black widows all over. I leave them alone unless they get too close [ie. under my mailbox\ around palm trees]. I've come very close to being bitten by a black widow & know their bite can be very painful. Also those horrid recluse spiders. Thank God they live mostly in the mts\ desert areas

I wonder what state experiences the most spider bites? probably in the South.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There, of-course, are bugs in California but they never seem to be all that troublesome. We don't have screens on all the windows so at this hour of the evening there are insects [moths\ some mosquitoes - neighbors have a large pond\ there's a very large insect that looks like a huge mosquito but doesn't bit & is so clumsy that even the cats catch & eat em \ also other creepy looking bugs & a few spiders [none of which bite]. Unfortunately there is a large bee hive in the side of the house that are attracted to the light at night but rarely sting. No cockroaches at my place but plenty of ants.

Overall, we don't suffer from bugs unlike so many other states. Wait till Curmudgeon encounters flying cockroaches; he'll come running back to California
We've got the dreaded flying cockroach here in the Coachella Valley. People have different names for them, but to me they are just a big, nasty cockroach that can fly.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:55 AM

8 posts, read 28,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
those little Rock Scorpions would put you in the hospital for a few days.
I am not sure what species your referring to, but the only dangerous species in the U.S is the Bark Scorpion.

According to the information on the scorpion site I posted, there have not been any fatal stings in the U.S in 20 years.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasontobe View Post
I am not sure what species your referring to, but the only dangerous species in the U.S is the Bark Scorpion.

According to the information on the scorpion site I posted, there have not been any fatal stings in the U.S in 20 years.
That must be it, my roommate sat on 1, it stung him in the hamstring and was down for 2 days.

The landscapers would work on the trees outside our complex, which would drive the scorpions up to our apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California