Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 AM

376 posts, read 1,866,835 times

Advertisements

what's is like to live in this town? It seems like paradise. I live in Florida. Thinking about making a change.
Any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
I lived in SLO years ago. I go back regularly as I have family in the area. It's a lovely town. I take it you've been there. I really enjoy the downtown area with it's walkability and historic look. It's very clean. Weather is nicest in the area. The big challenge in the area is the job market. Housing is not cheap and the job market is very, very tight. Big employers are Cuesta College, Cal Poly, PG&E (nuclear power plant), Atascadero State Hospital and California Men's Colony. You're a 2 hour drive from Santa Barbara and 4hrs to L.A. in good traffic, San Francisco a tad further. Beaches and ocean will be freezing cold compared to what you're used to.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:10 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,810 times
Well, I suppose that depends on what your idea of paradise is. In my mind, San Luis Obispo comes pretty darn close to a perfect city, IF (and that's a big if) you can afford the housing.
Weather-wise, its sunnier and warmer than the beaches, but not as hot as the inland areas. I never had A/C in SLO and usually only wished I did for maybe 2 weeks out of each year. It's only 20 minutes to several different types of beaches.
I can't think of a neighborhood that I would deem unsafe.
There are always cultural and community events taking place and there is just so much for someone to do.

if you gave some specifics for what you are looking to come to and what you want to leave behind in Florida, I might be able to add to this.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:23 PM

85 posts, read 287,529 times
What is the year-round weather like in SLO? When you say the beaches will be freezing, is that all year or only certain times? Is it very foggy there? Thanks

Old 04-09-2007, 02:38 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I also live in Florida, and dreamed of living in SLO for several years - took a few vacations there, and just fell in love with it - a perfect town! But......there is a huge downside - the housing! It is just soooooo expensive! No houses under 500,000 more like 600,000 and up, and that's for something very small and modest with a tiny yard! And there are no high-paying jobs there either, I don't know how people make it, unless most of them have been there a long time before housing went up so much.

For all of you who can afford it or find a way to live there, you won't be sorry! Of course, it is a pretty small town with a bit of a rural feel and not a lot of nightlife or big shopping, so this has to be the kind of lifestyle you want.

I love the big farmer's market on Thursday night!

Someone asked about the beach - we were always there in the summer, and the beaches were very cold! In summer it was in the 60's with wind and I imagine the water was icy, we didn't go in!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,835 times
Default Slo

Hey and thanks for your replies. Well my partner and I have been looking around for a liberal town to move to outside of Florida. He is a hairstylist and I am teacher for the county. We have actually been planning on opening up some sort of business together. any more thoughts or replies would be welcomed.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 AM

85 posts, read 287,529 times
Default Wind?

Is the wind a real problem year-round for SLO? I keep seeing wind advisories and people mentioning how windy and chilly it is but is that a year-round pattern? I knew someone who was in an area of San Diego and hated it becase it was so windy all the time she could never sit outside and I'm wondering if it's like that or not? Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini View Post
Is the wind a real problem year-round for SLO? I keep seeing wind advisories and people mentioning how windy and chilly it is but is that a year-round pattern? I knew someone who was in an area of San Diego and hated it becase it was so windy all the time she could never sit outside and I'm wondering if it's like that or not? Thanks
It can get windy but more toward the south side of town. Being from Florida, you'll find the weather chilly and the weather at the beaches chilly in all but summer (and then sometimes chilly and foggy) but usually sunny in the afternoons July-September. SLO being inland has sunnier weather and it's less windy. I spent a lot of time shivering in SLO but then again I'm used to HI and Los Angeles area. The BRR factor is all relative, people moving from colder climes think I'm nuts.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
The biggest difference is lack of greenery, less humidity. The traffic level is very decent in SLO, considering California's population centers are in the South and Northern parts of the state.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM

182 posts, read 927,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
The biggest difference is lack of greenery, less humidity. The traffic level is very decent in SLO, considering California's population centers are in the South and Northern parts of the state.
Lack of greenery?? Hmmmm...you must have visited in the summertime or during drought years. SLO is very vibrant beautiful green in the fall, winter, and spring. It is true, though, the landscape does turn brown in the summer heat, but still, it is beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California