Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:41 AM

182 posts, read 927,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Super info, Mmouwse. I would like to know more about the industry, if any, in SLO and surrounding towns. Besides CalPoly, what are some of the major employers? Would my kids be more likely to find higher paying jobs in Carmel, SLO, or Santa Barbara?

Good Morning Westward! When talking about employment in SLO county, I always include the town of Santa Maria just across the county line to the south. It is the northernmost town of Santa Barbara county, but many people from here work there. Now, with that said, I have glanced at the clock and noticed that I am running out of time (I was interrupted by 2 phone calls as I started to answer write this answer to you). So for now I am going to suggest that you avail yourself to the statistics compiled and available here at city data. If you go to their home page, www.city-data.com and type "san luis obispo county" into the search window and click "search", you will get a page that lists lots of interesting stats about the county, including info on employment. (https://www.city-data.com/county/San_...County-CA.html) If you then wish to know about just one city, town or even CalPoly, just enter it into the search window, click, and you will again get a page with lots of interesting and helpful data. When I have more time later today, I will return to this site and list answers to your questions.
I will tell you a few things before I go, though. The entire county and Paso Robles in particular have become well known around the world for production of excellent wines. I have to say that our fastest growing and most predominant industry today is the wine industry. I am sure you can imagine the job opportunities there from field workers, to truck drivers during the harvest, to tasting room attendants, to viticulturists in the labs and admin folks. BTW, CalPoly does have a viticulture degree. I would say that tourism is also a large industry here and a major employer from hotels and restaurants to tour corporations and local tour entrepreneurs.
Cal Ply or California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo is a large employer (34,000 students), along with the 2 community colleges: Cuesta College in SLO and Paso Robles and Hancock College in Santa Maria.
Government and Law enforcement is a biggie between the various cities, the Sheriff Dept. and CMC(the prison). Then there is ASH in Atascadero (Atasc. State Hospital). Pg&E (Pacific Gas &Electric) is a big employer here, they own and operate Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. Paso Robles has some manufacturing Industry as does Santa Maria, with others scattered around the county. We have a large number of business startups that grow into fortune 500 companies, oftentimes CalPoly graduates transition these from their Sr. Project. Examples are Kennedy Club Fitness which is a local fitness club that has locations in Arroyo Grande, SLO, Atascadero, and Paso Robles. Second Wind is a product that you spray into your running shoes to eliminate odor. Hind-Wells Sportswear Corporation. Canidae dog food/Felidae cat food.
Ernie Ball guitars and National Resonator Guitars.Let's see....San Luis Sourdough (which was bought out by a large bread corporation a few years ago) was started by a local resident as was the "Spice Hunter" spices.
There are many Technology companies here as well, some of them corporate and many small startups. There is a well known computer game developer here, their name escapes me...I think it is "Oddworld" or something like that. There are many folks here involved in the music and movie industry, especially in the special effects/computer animation side.
Would they get higher paying jobs in Santa Barbara, SLO area, or CArmel-Monterey...
As far as where your kids might find higher paying jobs, well I guess some of the factors there include what their profession or vocation is. Where their skills lie, whether they wish to work for someone else or be self-employed, how far they are willing to commute and in what kind of traffic. The trade-offs, of course are quality of life(smog, crime, population, traffic, commute times) vs. income vs. housing costs vs. costs of living.
The Carmel-Monterey area has industry, tourism, a state university a fishing industry, the military....
Santa Barbara is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. It also is a wonderful location with fabulous temperate weather, lots of culture and shopping, lots of outdoor activities to be enjoyed. If you have a solid professional skill set and can garner high wages in the city or do not mind the bumper to bumper commute to Ventura or...welll, there really are many factors and there is much I do not know about your situational factors.
Again, I would recommend that you avail yourself to this website and investigate the stats and data they have compiled here. Just search the cities and counties you are considering. AND don't forget to search elsewhere on the web as well. Nearly all cities and counties now have websites with lots of descriptive info, data, and statistics as well as pictures. I know we have many for this county detailing all aspects of living here and the wine industry actually has multiple websites as well.
oh! Look at the time! I am sorry, I must go. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share with you some of the many aspects of my county that I love!
I will return to check for more inquiries later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 01:43 PM

168 posts, read 637,290 times
Default Where is the most opportunity?

Thank you Mmouwse, great stuff you have to share. I have actually spent endless hours on city-data for several years, looking at different cities/states. It is often difficult to get enough information to satisfy questions, however, from the industry percentages and websites. People like yourself, on the other hand, have a way of saying what needs to be heard, and I appreciate it immensely.

We are retired, though I will find a job. My kids are somewhat undecided about careers yet, but they are aiming somewhere between the biological sciences, human/plant genetics, chemistry, md's. They have wide interests and abilities, so will adapt, as long as there is a job. Since we have the opportunity to make life easier on them by providing room at home, we'd like to plop down where there is not only education, but jobs afterward. Of course, there's nothing wrong imo with having to drive 2-4 hours to visit in either direction. Just trying to consider all things, as moving back from GA is enough of a whammy.

We are planning another visit shortly. I'm trying to determine how to allocate our time there. We are very interested in having an acre or so - nothing fancy, and we surely can't afford a million$ home. We just want to be able to grow our own, and have a little peace in a town that has some cohesion, recreation, sunshine and warmth, and average folks. I like the idea of a college town, because it tends to give some unity and livelihood to a place. We do like to get out to farmer's markets and parks, and community events. We like to get involved and contribute, to work toward improvements, and my kids like to participate in various civic opportunities.

We're considering all places from Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz, within 30 minutes or so of the coast, (but haven't ruled out the bay area). We are used to buying on the outskirts for affordability, that would be nothing new - did it in LA. I guess my question would be, if you had to choose one place for a) jobs related to the interests I mentioned, b) colleges nearby, c) most reasonbly priced larger lots/acre, which town would you give the most consideration to? Which would you avoid? Maybe I should be asking which town is good for which qualities.

Thanks for all the info you've provided. It's a big help.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Thank you Mmouwse, great stuff you have to share. I have actually spent endless hours on city-data for several years, looking at different cities/states. It is often difficult to get enough information to satisfy questions, however, from the industry percentages and websites. People like yourself, on the other hand, have a way of saying what needs to be heard, and I appreciate it immensely.

We are retired, though I will find a job. My kids are somewhat undecided about careers yet, but they are aiming somewhere between the biological sciences, human/plant genetics, chemistry, md's. They have wide interests and abilities, so will adapt, as long as there is a job. Since we have the opportunity to make life easier on them by providing room at home, we'd like to plop down where there is not only education, but jobs afterward. Of course, there's nothing wrong imo with having to drive 2-4 hours to visit in either direction. Just trying to consider all things, as moving back from GA is enough of a whammy.
CalPolySLO is a great university with a great reputation nationwide, ranking high with the Ivy League schools. Their motto is "Learn by doing" and they live up to it.I understand that they have fabulous bio-science and genetics programs, great pre-med, great engineering and architecture, great chemistry, kinesiology, etc. They have also established a strong marine biology presence and have a facility at Port San Luis, Avila Beach.
UCSB (Santa Barbara) I think has programs that would meet those educational needs.
Davisin Davis, Ca near Sacramento also would be an excellent choice with those educational/career interests. This is in Northern California about 5 hours north of SLO and in the San Joaquin Valley. I have actually never been to Davis, that I can recall, but I hear great things about it. I know I have read some posts here by people that live/lived there. You may want to search for Davis in the threads and see what you find.
As far as jobs in the area in these fields when they graduate, quite possibly yes. Although, many students that are graduating accept the best offer anywhere at the job faires and interviews.
Santa Cruz is a very popular beach community, very liberal and diverse and friendly. I always feel safe there. There are more towns around there that may have larger parcels of land available for less cost. I am not very familiar with the area really. San Jose is inland just over the coastal mountains, just 30 minutes or so inland. The city and a few other smaller towns just outside San Jose are nestled on the valley floor, ringed by beautiful mountains. Very nice visually. My gf's family lives in the town just south of San Jose, for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it, but I like it. There are universities in Santa Cruz and San Jose. I am not very familiar with these areas. Perhaps someone else can post to you about them.

We are planning another visit shortly. I'm trying to determine how to allocate our time there. We are very interested in having an acre or so - nothing fancy, and we surely can't afford a million$ home. We just want to be able to grow our own, and have a little peace in a town that has some cohesion, recreation, sunshine and warmth, and average folks. I like the idea of a college town, because it tends to give some unity and livelihood to a place. We do like to get out to farmer's markets and parks, and community events. We like to get involved and contribute, to work toward improvements, and my kids like to participate in various civic opportunities.
SLO City has Farmers' Market every Thursday night and it is wonderful! Fresh local produce, 5 bands, puppet shows, clowns, balloons, bird shows, magicians, political booths...very popular for all ages. There are actually many Farmers' Markets through SLO county on different days at different times, but SLO is by far my favorite. Santa Barbara has 2 farmers markets a week, both great. They also have a long art walk on PCH every weekend that is great! I would think that Santa Cruz and other areas also have the same. Lots of opportunity to get involved in SLO county. There are many gov't advisory boards, community groups, commissions and volunteer groups. Everything from CASA (trained volunteer individual become assigned advocates for children in the court system, essentially their voice and champion), to Hospice, Meals on Wheels, Elder Advocates, Literacy Program volunteers, Youth group Leaders, event coordinators and aids... you name it is available. You won't lack for diverse opportunities to volunteer. WE even have tons of athletic events and races here throughout the year, multiples in the summertime.
We're considering all places from Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz, within 30 minutes or so of the coast, (but haven't ruled out the bay area). We are used to buying on the outskirts for affordability, that would be nothing new - did it in LA. I guess my question would be, if you had to choose one place for a) jobs related to the interests I mentioned, b) colleges nearby, c) most reasonably priced larger lots/acre, which town would you give the most consideration to? Which would you avoid? Maybe I should be asking which town is good for which qualities.
whew! Santa Barbara is very nice, but very expensive. They are having a hard time attracting and retaining doctors because of the ridiculous cost of living. SLO County is where I live, and I do love it here, so I am biased. But that is not to say that I have not experienced negatives here, I have. I just balance it against the alternatives and choose to stay. It is true that it is expensive here, but now is a very good time to buy. The market boom slowed to a standstill and there is a tremendous amount of inventory on the market throughout the county. As you know, homes further inland from the coast and from the City of SLO will be less costly. Although, you can get some damn good buys in Los Osos/ Baywood Park right on the bay or close to it. You can even still find large lots and acres there. It is a bit foggy there some summers, and often overlooked and undervalued. They still have unpaved roads in parts of the communities! But, it is quiet still. You know, the pricing is so crazy! Some areas in Atascadero of 2-5 acres are selling for a million and some are still accessible at 500k. It just depends. As I think of all the city areas and county areas, it is really dependent on how the area or community is marketed. So...bottom line is that there are still many homes and land available in nice areas of the county at reasonable prices. Especially now with so much on the market. Many, Many, fsbo's too. These can really cut your costs and open up opportunities. Here in California and especially in this county, many Realtors will not show you fsbo's or help-u-sells- or ...what's that other one...? These folks are considered renegades and threatening to the established RE Broker/Agent stranglehold. Some of the best buying opportunities will be missed if you skip these.
hmmm... Overall land cost...I think SB is outa site...SLO County and Santa Maria/Orcutt are still reachable (though some folks will swear SM/Orcutt is horrible) lots of climates, ethnic group concentrations, and general personality to choose from here. I think the Santa Cruz/San Jose and Davis areas are outa site. But, someone from those areas could better advise you than I. There is a gentleman here, Luke9686, who is in the San Jose area and is a RE investor who could probably give you accurate info on Northern Ca (SC/SJ/Davis/etc). Very helpful guy.

Thanks for all the info you've provided. It's a big help.
To sum up../..I am very knowledgable and partial to SLO. I think it is one of the best and safest places in the nation to live, especially when considering raising kids. Educational opportunites are excellant here at all levels. Lots of private schools too, if you are interested. Job opportunities are dependant on many factors, which we have discussed, I think. Even if your kids took jobs elsewhere in the state, you would not be far. You are in the center of the state here. And...if you wished to move, you would have gained good value on your RE invstmnt here and would do well upon sale. I hope all this is helpful to you. My final advisement is: after your research, decide and ...JUMP! Don't get paralyzed. Adjustments are always possible in the plan of life, even in CA !

Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM

168 posts, read 637,290 times
Thanks again, Mmouwse. It sounds like I have my work cut out for me. I probably will spend most of my time in SLO. You mentioned something about govt' preferring to reinvent the wheel. Can you expound on that a little? We have a similar problem here in GA, altho, since the Olympics were here, changes have been made, lol. I often have wished our civil engineers would fly to LA or NY and see how things are done. What sort of conditions were you referring to?

Old 04-15-2007, 08:06 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,704 times
Default slo

Hello. What if I wanted to open a business in SLO. Is there a lot of commercial space available to rent/lease? How do I find out available rentals on apartments in SLO? I looked on craigslist but did not see many in SLO.

thanks again for all your info.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
k23

1 posts, read 5,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Thanks again, Mmouwse. It sounds like I have my work cut out for me. I probably will spend most of my time in SLO. You mentioned something about govt' preferring to reinvent the wheel. Can you expound on that a little? We have a similar problem here in GA, altho, since the Olympics were here, changes have been made, lol. I often have wished our civil engineers would fly to LA or NY and see how things are done. What sort of conditions were you referring to?
It seems that folks here oftentimes do not want to investigate how things were done elsewhere and how it turned out. Seems to me that would be part of good research before making decisions. Seems to be improving lately though, alothough there are still some folks around with that attitude.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
Hello. What if I wanted to open a business in SLO. Is there a lot of commercial space available to rent/lease? How do I find out available rentals on apartments in SLO? I looked on craigslist but did not see many in SLO.
thanks again for all your info.
Hello! I think there is ample commercial space available to rent/lease. Downtown SLO can be pretty pricey. Personally, I do not like Craig's list. Very funky. I have had bad experiences with people I have contacted through this site or that have contacted me. Never found any prospective renters through this source that weren't trying to fly under the radar...and usually for good reason!!
I would suggest that you google san luis obispo. Lots of rental companies and property management companies in the county. One of the companies I deal with is www.farrellsmyth.com You also might try www.sanluisobispo.com This is the website for the county paper which will give you a chance to get acquainted with current local issues and hit the classified to look for rentals. You should also find links to other local websites here. Another website you could try is www.newtimesslo.com This is a fairly liberal publication as opposed to the more conservative Tribune Newpaper. I think you can access the New Times classified/rentals section online.
Oh...as far as housing in SLO, be aware that half of the population in the city consists of CaLPoly University's students and the majority of them live in the city of SLO. This creates two situations: (1) "student ghettos" and (2) massive amounts of rentals come available in April-May-June and get pretty well taken again by August-September.
Hey...it is getting late and I need to be going for now. I hope this helps you. I will check back again during the week to see if you all have anymore questions.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:16 PM

24 posts, read 141,112 times
slo is cool, people are generally pretty mellow, nice folks... too many one way streets and pay parking, thats my only complaint...

Old 04-28-2007, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 112,235 times
Default Santa Margarita

Mmouwse, thanks for your reply on Santa Margarita. I forgot I had asked the question and just read your reply. Special thanks about info on flooding in town. I love this forum!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 PM

23 posts, read 112,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouwse View Post
I would suggest that you google san luis obispo. Lots of rental companies and property management companies in the county.
Mmouwse, I do have another question for you. I've been checking the SLO Tribune every day and there aren't many rentals in outlying areas of SLO. Is there a place that you are aware of like a health food store or coop or community center either in rural or coastal towns on the Central Coast where people post ads for rentals? I'm looking for a rental in the country, but there's not much if anything in the local paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California