Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:04 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,298,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
Now you are just making stuff up. I have worked in a psych hospital. Prison is not the only safe place for mental health professionals to work. Part of the reason for the appointment of a reciever to take over the prison system was because the level of health care in the state prison system, especially for the mentally ill was so poor.

When you have large populations of people who are inadequately treated, yes you can encounter problems. But when you have adequate staffing and treatment, these populations aren't dangerous.
Do you know what a Keyhea inmate is? This is an inmate who refuses to take medication and is so violent we have to go to court to force them to take medication. You think I'm making this stuff up? Look it up ... your ignorance is showing.

http://www.oah.dgs.ca.gov/Laws/keyhea.htm

What is the this thread about? The criminal population. What was I talking about in my post? I specificially mentioned forensic psych hospitals ... not regular psych hospitals which, if you were a mental health professional ... you would know that means places like Patton, Atasadero, Metro, etc. I figured you understood the difference but, obviously, you do not.

Many of my colleagues including psychiatrists, psychologists, psych techs have moved on to prisons because the work in forensic hospitals is too dangerous. That is well known a fact. The Department of Mental Health has complained about the loss of key staff publicly many times in the press.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/mar.../me-suicides22

So no ... I am NOT making this stuff up. Next time, read the post more carefully.

Last edited by sheri257; 02-08-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
This is another reason people like you probably shouldn't be working with the mentally ill.

When working with a population that is mentally ill, a lot of problems can be avoided if you just don't escalate the sitatution. People with training in mental health issues know that. People who are trained as prison guards come in with a whole different skill set that is totally inappropiate for dealing with someone who is mentally ill.
I'm not a guard, I'm an RN so ... don't lecture me on how to handle the mentally ill. I do it every day. There are inmates who are truly mentally ill and there are inmates who pretend to be mentally ill so they can get drugs and do easier time.

Ask any psychiatrist who works in the system and they will tell you easily up to one-third of the supposedly mentally ill inmates are malingerers playing the system.

If you're truly a mental health professional, you would know this.

Last edited by sheri257; 02-08-2009 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,644,249 times
We have a friend who works in a correctional facility and he says the same. You have to be on guard 100% of the time. He has received death threats against him and his family.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,899,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I'm not a guard, I'm an RN so ... don't lecture me on how to handle the mentally ill. I do it every day. There are inmates who are truly mentally ill and there are inmates who pretend to be mentally ill so they can get drugs and do easier time.

Ask any psychiatrist who works in the system and they will tell you easily up to one-third of the supposedly mentally ill inmates are malingerers playing the system.

Now I know you are making stuff up. Thanks for playing along.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Now I know you are making stuff up. Thanks for playing along.
Whatever ... it's clear to me that you know absolutely nothing about forensic psych.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 32,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
, but you are just not getting it. He knew the law, he knew the consequences, and he choose to overlook them. As others have pointed out, if he got caught 3 times he obviously broke the law more than 3 times or maybe he is just not very bright...

The organization you are referring to may be wonderful, but you are still overlooking 2 things: all the training in the world isn't going to help right now with the bad economy and 2-those living there may be down and out, but did not have 3 strikes...

And you still have never answered the question, why you think he is a political prisoner?

Nita

Reread his letter. He Stated that "Legislators portray non-violent three strike inmates as dangerous criminals who deserve life sentences"....... "California is being fleeced by politicians who want to build more prisons and continue warehousing non-violent, three strike inmates" ....

I have also heard it said that the Prison Guard Unions push for more prisons as it insures job security.

One of his convictions happened before 1994 when the law was enacted and the other two after. During that time he was very young, immature, rebellious and reckless. Drug addicts and alcoholics don't care what happens to them. He has had 12 years to grow up, become sober and face his consequences. Even if you believe he needs to stay where he is, there are still others who do not deserve life sentences and should be let out.

Last edited by mother of a 3-striker...; 02-08-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Its the psychiatrists in the state prison system who are evalauating these people to decide when to remove or put back someone into the general population. The guards might think the prisoners are faking it, but not the psychiatrists.

But you have a very active imagination.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Don't thank me, seriously. I'm not a saint. I'm paid very well for this job. If it wasn't for the money and the benefits ... I wouldn't do this job at all. That's just the truth of it.

You are being paid well to do a dangerous job and you are only doing it for the money. Obviously your heart is not in it. You remind me of the school teachers I've known that hated kids but were in the profession because of the good health and retirement benefits. Stop complaining and take a vacation.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:45 PM

The more likely explanation is that you are being played by a troll.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubu View Post
The more likely explanation is that you are being played by a troll.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California