Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 PM

121 posts, read 342,128 times

Advertisements

Just curious what it's like there (besides no jobs). The weather is interesting, on Golden Gate Weather Services - the 1971-2000 climate averages state it's in the 60's year round for high's. Seems like an interesting town, I wonder if it's cheaper than San Luis Obispo.
Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Morro Bay's weather is amazingly consistent, 62 degrees and foggy. When the sun breaks through it can be 10 degrees warmer. There is often a strong northwest wind off the ocean. It's a small town, 12,000 or so population, with a nice waterfront, artists, writers, retirees, a big power plant right in the middle of town, and a gigantic rock just to the west that bears the town's name, Morrow Rock. Personally, I love Morro Bay!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:25 PM

Winston, are they ever going to tear down that unsightly PG&E tower that dominates the area?

Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
Winston, are they ever going to tear down that unsightly PG&E tower that dominates the area?
He, he, I don't know what the plans are for the power plant! Those stacks, with their flashing red lights on top and greyness of the whole facility is gainly, that's for sure, but for me it's such a permanent reminder of Morro Bay that I cannot imagine it gone.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
He, he, I don't know what the plans are for the power plant! Those stacks, with their flashing red lights on top and greyness of the whole facility is gainly, that's for sure, but for me it's such a permanent reminder of Morro Bay that I cannot imagine it gone.
Me too!! The smoke stacks are one of those odd things that people always remember from Morro Bay. I live near MB and I have a couple of friends that live there so I'm there fairly consistently. It's absolutely gorgeous with extremely friendly people (as long as you're not one of those 'LA' or 'NY' people trying to build a giant house and strip mall there) with TONS of places to hike and enjoy the outdoors. You can always go to the Rock to walk your dog, or fly kites and watch the surfers, or even scout the tidepools. The Embarcadero is awesome, with lovely resaurants and the famous Shell Shop, with random little businesses that sell some pretty odd stuff. All in all, MB is probably one of the last beach towns that is still small and laid back and I really hope it stays that way.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM

I can't wait to visit, guy's, I can't believe I was as close as Santa Barbara and I didn't go back in '05. By the way, if you look up Morro Bay in Wikipedia, there is a fantastic picture (huge, too) overlooking the city from the hills. I've had it on my desktop several times.
I'm in Phoenix now, but I've lived in Queens NY for many years, but I'm not the
'NY' type anyway, can't afford a giant house (read: ANY house I've known about Morro Bay for many, many years simply bc of the weather (my first post on this), just seems like a charming place, and glad to hear I won't be dissapointed when I visit. SLO seems a bit 'Tony" for me (right word?), way too expensive.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
The power plant is owned by Duke Energy.

Here are some pictures of MB:

Morro Bay - Central California - stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
The power plant is owned by Duke Energy.

Here are some pictures of MB:

Morro Bay - Central California - stock photos, fine art prints by QTL
Those pictures were gorgeous Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:56 PM

8 posts, read 35,825 times
Default The Towers are Coming Down

Morro Bay is a pleasant Beach Town. It's nice to drive around the whole town and get a feel for the place. There are some great restaurants, and a good grocery store so you don't really have to drive all the way to San Luis Obispo.
The smoke stacks are coming down. I don't know what the holdup is, but they should have already been taken down. You could do a Google search to see whats going on. It will be great to have them gone, especially for all photographers. There are very few places with a view of the rock without the stacks.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:07 PM

139 posts, read 359,896 times
Those stacks should be gone within 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California