Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times

Advertisements

Which city do you prefer between Modesto and Stockton and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Um, neither? Seriously, it depends on what you're looking for. I lived in Stockton for a few years (and didn't like it), but I don't know Modesto too well... both have similar (hot/dry) weather, Stockton is a bit larger and more urban, and Modesto is probably cheaper. I think crime is also lower in Modesto, although both have issues with gangs and general crime. On the plus side, Stockton is in a good location - driving distance to San Francisco, Sacramento & Tahoe/Reno - and still fairly affordable by CA standards.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM

60 posts, read 245,847 times
Modesto is preferable unless you own a car. If you are commuting to the Bay Area, stockton is a shorter drive.

In general, I've found Modesto to have a lower crime rate (with the exception of auto-related crimes), a better job market, better commerce, food, shopping, entertainment, and less of a seedy reputation.

I actually believe Stockton is cheaper than Modesto at this point. Stockton overdeveloped (the infamous Weston Ranch is one of the prime examples) and is now really hurting from foreclosures. Modesto is a little better off in that department.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM

65 posts, read 190,637 times
I always thought that a lot of people in the Modesto Area worked in Stockton and many Stockton residents commute to the bay area or Sacramento region for work. In terms of food, shopping, and entertainment, I would give that to Stockton. But Modesto is the much safer city between the two.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:11 PM

318 posts, read 1,316,946 times
Betwee those two cities Modesto is a better choice, Stockton has it really bad areas and lots of gangs. Modesto has it's seedier side too but there are bigger areas of nice homes.

Cities near those two to consider would be Lodi, Tracy, and in the foothills 35 mins. from Stockton is Valley Springs, that is where I live and you get country living and still can commute to stockton or modesto.

I don't know about Modesto schools...but stockton schools are scary.

Izzy

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

65 posts, read 190,637 times
I'm biased, because I lived in Stockton and actually liked it. I graduated from a Stockton school and at times it was really scary thanks to the gangs that moved there from East Oakland. Also, the area that I lived in (Weston Ranch) was sometimes referred to as "Little East Oakland", but it really was not THAT bad. Thought I'd never say this, but I miss Stockton. Weird I know.

The school are probably much better in Modesto than in Stockton.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 PM

149 posts, read 478,272 times
i heard weston ranch was bad but stockton is not that bad

it is worst than modesto but still stockton is pretty safe

Old 11-12-2008, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 14,266 times
Default It Depends

Modesto does have a lower crime rate then stockton, but alot of the local modesteans have told me that the gangs run so deep in Modesto that people are scared to report gang crimes,they also said if you live in south modesto,west modesto,or the airport district in east modesto you'd better expect constant gun shots,but mostly the rest of the town is cool,just stay away from the "HOODS" of modesto because they are just as or if not worse then stocktons hoods.........And the school system in both cities are bull stuff my cousin attended johansen high school in the nice part of modesto,and was jumped countless times for his bike,cell phone etc....so if anyone tells you modesto is a nice little safe town there full of it.there are so many unreported murders and robberies,car thefts and not to mention it was rated the worst city in the nation and top 25 most dangerous metro area.....but Stockton aint no joke either lol

Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,778 times
Modesto and the surroundings has proficient to excellent schools on a scale that cannot compare to Stockton. For a little more, you can find a family-friendly friendly neighborhood with good schools, without having to shell out money for tuition for schooling. If you want to be closer to the Bay Area, Ripon is a good area with good schools kindergarten to high school. That will put you right in-between Modesto, Stockton, and Tracy, the best of three worlds in terms of shopping and safety. Just stay away from Ripon Elementary and you will be fine.

Where will your place of work be? Which city or area?

Last edited by tennis368fan; 11-13-2008 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM

378 posts, read 626,092 times
Neither, but Stockton is worse. It has changed so much within the last 10 years that you wonder at times if you're even still on American soil. The illegal aliens turned it into an absolute toilet... you can't even do simple shopping without illegal aliens all over the place for some odd reason, and most look like they hate you. Only go to Stockton if you want to see failure by the U.S. Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California