Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 20,753 times

Advertisements

I live in Bear Valley Springs and as someone else stated, it is remote. I believe many homes are for sale as they are vacation homes and in the current economy I think people are tightening there belts--having to get by with just one home. The HOAs are about $1200/year which is well worth the manned gate, golf course, two fishing lakes, shooting range, equestrian trails, parks, gym, rec center, etc. In case of fire--there isn't a gate keeping people in--only out, there are also fire roads, we have our own fire and police department as well as a volunteer cert team. It's a great place to live if you can work from home or some how bring your work with you. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Thumbs up Bear Valley Springs comment

Yeah, I wanted to mention that post saying Bear Valley Springs is over $500 a month in HOA fees is way off the mark. Lipstrom has it right, it's only a $100 per mth. My brother lives in that community, and I don't blame him one bit, since other than Stallion Springs right next door, their isn't much to like out in that area. Great for those who have or love horses, plus off-road drivers/riders have plentiful of riding areas nearby like CAL city, Jawbone, or Dove Springs.

Personally to me it's just too way out their in the middle of no where, but if someone can get a job nearby in Mojave, Edwards Air Force Base, or Lancaster, that is where I would live. Definately a hidden Oasis in the middle of desert. Up at 4000 + ft, they also get some good snow to enjoy in the winter, which my family will partake of just after christmas when we go out to visit my brother and his family. 80% of the community is probably sheriff's or Fireman who work in stations nearby. Actually quite affordable for what you get obviously depending on where you live and are use too. I live in Thousand Oaks, CA. A community like that with houses and properties of that size would be in the 1.5+ million zone minimum. You can't buy a shack over her for what they can get over their on acre or more. To each his or her own.

Now obviously this bleak economic times have caused some selling to happen, along with some of those jobs lost in the area like everywhere else. Sad, but a good time to buy for those retiring or working in the area! Good luck.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM

27 posts, read 75,192 times
Its a nice little area, but I think almost everyone living there has to communte long distances and since the price of gas doubled recently, that probably was a deciding factor in selling.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 19,425 times
There is nothing wrong with Bear Valley Springs other than there is no work here and unless you are independently wealthy or have your own "at home" business, you must commute to Bakersfield or Lancaster to work. It is up in the Tehachapi Mountains and there is only one little general store. The nearest stores are in Tehachapi which is 15 miles from my house. The HOA is 1200 dollars a month, but that includes membership to the country club, fishing, and scores of other ammenitys. It is very quiet, rural and a hidden treasure, we like it that way. Property taxes are high, but it's worth it in my opinion. The lifestyle is very country and most folks have horses or some kinds of animals. In the Winter, we get a bit of snow, depending on your elevation and a good amount of fog.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Correction to above post. HOA is $1200/year, which is $100/month.

I used to live in BVS at the top of Bear Mountain and I loved it. I'm kind of a hermit, and it was nice to be behind the gate where people couldn't just "drop by" unannounced. It was a beautiful and peaceful place to live.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 37,065 times
I live in Bear Valley Springs. We don't have a fire problem. We dont have gate that are automatic.
If you need to exscape you take bolt cutters to the locks on the gate. This is a procedure explained to you during the fire safety classes that you participate in when you become a resident here.
Need to experience the real live in Bear Valley springs not hear say

Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 37,065 times
I live in Bear Valley Springs. Taxes are not expensive. Same as everywhere in Ca. Due are cheap. Fires are non excitent. If a fire should arrise, you take you bolt cutters and exscape at one of four gates available. HOA is 100 dollars a month. Local taxes same as everywhere. YOU People need to live the life. Not guess at what it is.
Living and riding in BVS

Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiecowgirlbvs View Post
I live in Bear Valley Springs. Taxes are not expensive. Same as everywhere in Ca. Due are cheap. Fires are non excitent. If a fire should arrise, you take you bolt cutters and exscape at one of four gates available. HOA is 100 dollars a month. Local taxes same as everywhere. YOU People need to live the life. Not guess at what it is.
Living and riding in BVS
While I respectfully disagree that fires are not an issue for you all in BVS, the issue is nowhere near what it is in nearby communities like OWR. And I concurr that you've got options to get out via the back road to Arvin, etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 18,423 times
Replying to a long long ago question. Still wanted to put in our 2 cents. 2008 on .. it's been tough. People have lost jobs, houses, especially getaway/2nd homes. Very very sad times, indeed. That being said, we live in Stallion Springs, part time. Eventually, we will use this as our home base. We purchased a house there with 3 acres and incredible views from every vantage point for relatively little in 2009. We got an incredible deal. No HOA. So very happy that we did. Fun community. We've met and made good good friends ... a place or 2 to go for food ... but, we head to Tehachapi for restaurants and movies, for the most part. That is one thing that I'm looking forward to. When the economy strengthens, I think that we will see small resataurants and galleries pop up in SS again. The Tehachapi/Stallion/Bear Valley springs has much to offer for a wide variety of folks, regardless of religious or political affiliations. It's funky but fun. The road that we take back home from Tehachapi to Stallion passes 3 vineyards with wine tasting. An Organic Market, Tanglewood Farm, where we pick up locally grown organic foods. If they don't have what we need, we can go to a fully stocked Albertsons in Techachapi. Horseback riding, apple orchards, honey farms, good music in Tehachapi's Fiddler's Crossing, miles and miles and miles and miles of hiking trails. Good fresh air ... peace and tranquility. It is an oasis and a bito ut in the boonies. When we want to get away from all the peace and quiet, we head over to LA = 1.5 - 2 hours for big city stuff. Or, over to Lake Isabella = 1.5 hours. Or, 3 hours to the beach. It depends on what you're looking for ... we love it. And, so does everyone that comes out to visit. It's a really good place to live and enjoy the beauty ...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
We carried what we called "Forestry Key" A large bolt cutter. Gates only slowed us down for a couple of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California