Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 07:11 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,443 times

Advertisements

I heard there is a charge of approximately $66 per month for water and garbage. I also heard that you have to haul your own garbage to a dump site. So why are they charging $66 per month?
Also, would you say that approximately $200 is accurate as far as the extra fees you have to pay? (Ammenities, additional BVS taxes for police, roads, etc).
How picky are they about the rules of the neighborhood? Can you b-b-que on your grill? Can you have small bonfires in a fire pit? Can you build additions? Can you plant whatever trees and flowers you want?
Aside from the above, what would you say are the positives and the negatives about living in Bear Valley Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 AM

375 posts, read 608,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
I heard there is a charge of approximately $66 per month for water and garbage. I also heard that you have to haul your own garbage to a dump site. So why are they charging $66 per month?
Also, would you say that approximately $200 is accurate as far as the extra fees you have to pay? (Ammenities, additional BVS taxes for police, roads, etc).
How picky are they about the rules of the neighborhood? Can you b-b-que on your grill? Can you have small bonfires in a fire pit? Can you build additions? Can you plant whatever trees and flowers you want?
Aside from the above, what would you say are the positives and the negatives about living in Bear Valley Springs?
JMO -

It costs money to operate the landfill for starters. If they charged by the load it might induce people to find other "creative" ways to dispose of their refuse.

The last time I visited a friend, the flags of the LAFD, LASO and LAPD were flying at the entrance gate (It's been awhile) so I am assuming that a high percentage of those living there are affiliated (or were) with these organizations.
2/3 are registered Republican and the other 1/3 I think forgot to change their affiliation. 90% are white and 80% married. It's an Equestrian style community

Crime is lower than average and it cost's about 10% more to live there. It's typical of private communities everywhere. You give up something to get something in return. You might consider renting first and get a feel for the community.

Talk to several local Realtors and ask for a frank discussion about the community. Go to the website and read the C&R's. It's not for everyone.
Your mileage may vary.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 25,815 times
The fees to live here are $1236 (last year), plus $140 (trash, sewer and water)...and yes, you have 4 large areas to dump your own trash. They've raised the trash,sewer,water fees on average every 3 months over the last few years. It is a lot of rich people here that don't care about us on fixed incomes. We would love to move...but have no way of selling our house. At some point, we will lose our house since they just keep taking things up and up and up. Trust me...I could type for hours...this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,443 times
When you say $140 for trash, sewer, water, is that A MONTH?? Or every two months? or what?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Wink Bear Valley Springs

My brother lives in Bear Valley Springs, and has been now for about 10 years. I don't agree with post that says it is a bunch of rich people, when in reality coop01 has it right, it is probably 80% policeman, fireman, and other civic workers, along with some high tech types who might work for Edwards Air Force base or those research firms outside Mojave. Kind of a Oasis in the middle of no where. I'm not a fan of the desert, but have to admit that inner community is quite nice hidden in that valley. I say it's worth it if you want to live in that area. Otherwise your choices are Tehachapi [if you must] Mojave [yuck], Willow Springs [eh??], or down in Palmdale and Lancaster, one of the crime capitals of the USA. Why do you think all those Policeman and Fireman live up in those hills and are willing to commute. Value on those homes has nicely risen in the last 5-6 years, but of course like everywhere else, it too has been hit by the current economic crisis. Good time to buy if you have the $$. You might also look at Stallion Springs right next door, also quite beautiful. Either one is great for those who own or who are horse fans! Good luck.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 15,755 times
Default avoid BV!

I rented there for about a year and a half and probably would exceed the word limit if I went over all the negatives. First, Tehachapi itself is AWESOME. Love it. Moved from Florida and you can't beat the weather, people and views of Tehachapi. Bear Valley has incredible views, but it stops there. Everyone likes a clean and orderly neighborhood, but the "Republic of Bear Valley" is ridiculous. My parents visited in their RV a couple of years ago and they were cited for "camping"... laughable. I was also cited for leaving my porch light on "after hours". You have to get approval of all painting/trim choices. They literally close down the single gate entrance at ridiculous times due to snow/ice. The old foggies that work the gate are slow and not all that friendly. Not to mention the association and utility fees.
I strongly recommend Tehachapi as a place to live, but would stay clear of Bear Valley... particularly if you work in the desert (Edwards)... the extra 20+ minute ride each way gets old quick.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 25,815 times
When you see $100,000.oo cars driving around. When P. Diddy or whatever his new name is has a house there. When Matthew Perry (sp?) from the show friends has a house there. When the percapita income is over $80,000.oo...I'd say there are a lot of rich people here !!! And the sewer/trash/water bill is EVERY month...and the new police force really loves giving visitors tickets. Yes, we do have a lot of Police and Fireman from L.A. County and many of them have kids, who are causing a lot of the problems in BVS...plus the numbers of renters has skyrocketed...along with the foreclosures. I actually live here...I see it all first hand.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,821 times
Any word on bear valley spring water shortages?

MOD NOTE: Moved from Los Angeles forum, as Bear Valley Springs is near Tehachapi, well into Kern County.

Last edited by Count David; 01-19-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California