Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,236,377 times

Advertisements

Schwarzenegger signs pay-cut order - Los Angeles Times (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,508,188 times
I don't see how that's legal. Aren't all state workers under some sort of union contract? I can't just decide to pay $1.50 for gas, take all I want, and promise to pay the difference some day. If the state breaks the contract by failing to pay the agreed-upon labor rate, the workers really aren't obligated to show up.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,379,251 times
My sister in-law runs a daycare center, many of her kids are from section 8 and as long as the budget isn't passed she doesn't get paid by the state for these kids, it makes it tough.
Arnoldator is doing this to push the budget through but he is punishing the wrong people, there will be a lot of state services cut out when the new budget passes.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,288,860 times
Why can't we just raise taxes? It seems like no one wants to cut any funding anywhere... and the State employs a good percent of people. What's so bad about raising taxes if we expect the same/more services?

People just complain about how bad the system is and want to put in less for more. Last I hear we have more vehicles, more people, more businesses, new technologies, etc. Of course the cost to manage and govern things are going to rise. What would happen if we actually fund the system properly?

People are just so short sighted and want "Tax Cuts!", "Tax Cuts!", "Tax Cuts!".... but then they also cry "More Regulation!", "More School Programs!", "More Programs for Seniors", "More Health Programs!", "Cleaner Environment!", "More Parks!", "Better Roads!", "Less Crime!", etc..

I for one wouldn't mind getting taxed a little more if we can end all the "budget" crisises we seem to have every year (which is a waste of time), and that programs for better roads, etc. actually get accomplished.

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 07-31-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 PM

78,731 posts, read 60,928,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Why can't we just raise taxes? It seems like no one wants to cut any funding anywhere... and the State employs a good percent of people. What's so bad about raising taxes if we expect the same/more services?

People just complain about how bad the system is and want to put in less for more. Last I hear we have more vehicles, more people, more businesses, new technologies, etc. Of course the cost to manage and govern things are going to rise. What would happen if we actually fund the system properly?

People are just so short sighted and want "Tax Cuts!", "Tax Cuts!", "Tax Cuts!".... but then they also cry "More Regulation!", "More School Programs!", "More Programs for Seniors", "More Health Programs!", "Cleaner Environment!", "More Parks!", "Better Roads!", "Less Crime!", etc..

-chuck22b
It's a balancing act. Higher taxes make the state less attractive to workers and companies and jobs tend to migrate to neighboring states. (This has already been documented happening to CA). So basically, at some point, higher taxes means LESS total tax revenue.

I can't imagine there isn't some waste that can be cut in the budget first.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's a balancing act. Higher taxes make the state less attractive to workers and companies and jobs tend to migrate to neighboring states. (This has already been documented happening to CA). So basically, at some point, higher taxes means LESS total tax revenue.

I can't imagine there isn't some waste that can be cut in the budget first.
From my perception, I think California might have more social programs than most other States (based on the "liberal" perception of California). That said, I think California might also have the most wage discrepancy (ie difference between wealthy and poor). That is most likely why it costs more to run the numerous programs here... the high disparity level of wealth distribution.

Compared to other States, California's Income Tax is second highest to Vermont, with more taxes levied on the more wealthy.

State Income Tax Rates

Sales Tax on the other hand, California might be one of the highest... I'm assuming since "Sales" tax is a consumption tax and supposively the wealthy consume more.

At least we're not the worst tax State, and number 12th on their list:
Tax Friendly States

So, if we have the most programs, but still isn't the "worst" tax State, then we still have room to raise taxes?

I don't know, the rich leverages the poor (ie, employs them, etc.) to get more rich... but, they don't want to pay the taxes to keep the poor "able" bodied (ie, health, living, etc.) so they can make the rich richer.

Maybe, California should "export/sell" their knowledge of running social programs to other States and other Countries to find "alternative" means of increasing funding (besides just taxes?).

Any other suggested solutions besides just rants? Where to cut... how to cut... and what "after" effects should be expected? If not cutting, where else to get additional funds?

-chuck22b

Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,379,251 times
It's more about wasteful spending than anything else; we don't need higher taxes we need to hold our state responsible for their spending.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's more about wasteful spending than anything else; we don't need higher taxes we need to hold our state responsible for their spending.
Maybe we should have KPIs (key performance indicators) and scorecards for government services and accomplishments and give them money (taxes) accordingly? Finish a bridge, get more funding, relieve traffic congestion, get more funding, improve overall quality of life, get more funding. On time, bonus, off time/late, no bonuses and reduction of funding :P.

Would these things work? Or would the underperforming continue to do worse and worse as they get funded less and less while the overperforming would have excess funds?

-chuck22b

Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,508,188 times
The state is taking in far more money today than it was when Davis lost his job over the budget and yet the solution is to always throw more money at the beast. That's like giving whiskey to an alcoholic to get him off your back.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 PM

572 posts, read 2,489,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post

I for one wouldn't mind getting taxed a little more if we can end all the "budget" crisises we seem to have every year (which is a waste of time), and that programs for better roads, etc. actually get accomplished.

-chuck22b
Just quit wasting money is all that is needed and wiser spending.Thats how I live my life when I have less I spend less. If you want higher taxes you can send the extra Taxes that YOU think is needed. I do not want any more taxes and I want less services and less regulations less is better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California