Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 PM

57 posts, read 304,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingood789 View Post

As for the crime rate here, it might seem to some that it is terrible and compared to past years, I suppose it is. I am from the Bay Area and I must say that I have never felt afraid of walking the area at night. Law enforcement here is over the top. Drive by shooting are practically unheard of here and the murder rate is very very low. Of course there are bad guys here, that is a given. When there are people there will be bad ones in the crowd. Gangs have not made a place here, meth has become a problem, there are many parolees here but the majority are not major criminals, sex offenders are listed on megan's law so if you are concerned about someone it is easy to check them out then.
I would like anyone considering Redding and concerned about Gangs to read this link first: http://www.policemag.com/Articles/2005/02/America-s-Most-Dangerous-Gang.aspx (broken link)
When considering Redding, remember this quote from this Article:
"Gang experts say there are 21,500 gangs with more than 731,000 members Nationwide."

Regarding MS-13 the Article says, once the heat in Los Angeles and New York comes down, MS-13, heads for the Midwest, Southern States and suburban cities.
Where Gangs are "Not an Issue", and local authorities and local officials are still in denial.

MS-13 does "Any crime at any time." Not just dealing drugs. They also begin with a rash of citizen robberies, auto thefts, shootings, cuttings, homicides. Then they really get into selling drugs.

MS-13 when NEW to a community announces themselves with violence.
Violent acts are required of new members to prove their loyalty.
A simple 'jumping in' is not all that is required anymore. They must commit a needless act of unwarented violence as well upon a random citizen.

They can easily change their appearence.
They will change the way they operate depending on the way things are enforced by the police.
If there is no or little law enforcment acknowledgment, they will wear their colors, blue and white and bandanas because in the communities they are in it is common knowledge and the people fear them, so it is a form of intimidation.

Once the police recognize and confront them they will change and wear different colors from the blue and white, no bandana on their head, maybe now in their pocket, change the number '13' to '67' or '76' that equal the '13'. They can also change their appearence into a migrant farmer with a straw hat and boots to appear a typical gardner.

Take this the way you like, Redding is growing and changing extremely fast. It's not a sleepy suburban town anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM

4,545 posts, read 12,417,741 times
SSI, all of these are reasonable issues to pay attention too. However, I know that the RPD is not oblivious to the potential for gangs taking root in Shasta County. Therefore, when the police even see a hint of gang affiliation they swoop down fast, hard, and in overwhelming force.

There was an incident at an elementary school (K-8) where some of the older boys recently moved in from out of town persuaded many of the other boys, even very young ones, to where a 'color' on a particular day. Many of the younger boys didn't even really get what it was all about, but the older ones did. Anyway, that's all that happened, the boys were wearing a color. Well, the RPD came down like a ton of bricks on those boys. Police cars, dogs, rounded them all up into the cafeteria, called in their parents, and put the fear of God into them. Many of the boys ended up crying, or worse, (I won't mention the worse). The older boys who instigated this were shamed and taken down a peg. The parents were called in, and the police explained they wanted to nip this thing in the bud before it had a chance to take hold, and the parents were grateful. They wanted to keep big city problems away from Redding too.

So, yes the potential for problems in Redding is there, but the police aren't a bunch of Barney Fifes in danger of shooting there own foot.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM

20 posts, read 107,398 times
Not sure if this is the correct format for posting, but we are going to take a drive to Redding Summer 2009, as part of our search for a sunnier and drier place to retire. We currently live in the Portland, OR area, which is where I was born. My husband and I met in Tucson, AZ and thought we'd never leave the sunshine belt! You make plans and then 'life happens'. We have lived in Tucson & Phoenix, AZ, Dallas, TX, Las Vegas, NV, Salt Lake City, UT and Fresno, so do know what heat is like when it is intense (and what 60" of snowfall average per year looks like!!). What I haven't been able to determine from the posts about Redding, is whether or not it cools down nicely in the evenings. So, my question is:
*** Does Redding and surrounding area cool down well at night?
*** Are there bug problems that interfere with enjoying the outdoors in good weather, day or night?
*** Is Redding a retiree-friendly community?
*** What activities seem to attract the retirees to Redding area?

We can tolerate hot weather, but in our 60's now, feel that extremes in either direction are not something we are wanting to entertain any longer. We could handle a few weeks of high temps - and head for the coast if we desire, so that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,665 times
Default Considering Redding, CA (Chico, Tulare, Anderson: real estate, rentals, property)

All Teachers in California are Paid Well. I was wondering how living in Colorado all the time. Thank you. Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaLiving View Post
You're going to like living in Redding. The job situation may be a little tough just because we're not known for high paying jobs? What do you do? My sister is the vice-principal at Bethel, great place!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 PM

114 posts, read 572,834 times
Default Redding is HOT but it's not humid - swamp coolers work good there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Aloha all,

We have a lot of folks from CA moving to the Big Island. No one minds much about what you sold your house for in CA, since our values went through a major rise and fall a year or so ago....we just think you are smart for leaving behind the property taxes!

Just stopping by to learn a bit about CA. Every once in a while, my SO and I consider the idea of moving to Oregon or Northern CA, and he leaves me the task of "doing some research"....this thread was very informative. Redding sounds a bit like Hilo where we live now. A little "behind the times"?, but catching up as new people move in and have an influence. ( I'm not sure I could deal with the summer temps, though. I grew up in the south and know what hot and humid is like...)

Enjoyed all the posts,

Cynthia
Redding is HOT but it's not humid - swamp coolers work good there.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaLiving View Post
We have folks from all over California moving to Redding. Primarily because housing is more affordable here. You can buy a home without leaving the State. Our median price here is around $280,000. My husband and I moved here from San Diego four years ago (he's originally from Redding), we love it here and started our careers in Real Estate. We wouldn't go back to the City, although we love San Diego - we wanted to get away from all the hussle, all day traffic, high home prices, etc. In Redding, we can truly relax and enjoy the beauty that surrounds this place - the lakes, mountains, rivers, the people are extremely friendly, we have some of the best schools in the State and several clubs and organizations for those who choose to retire here. Here are some websites you can surf to get an idea of Redding:
1. Redding, CA. Welcome to VisitRedding.com
2. Viva Downtown Redding - A Main Street Organization
3. Chris & Maria Jeantet : Shasta Living...a better place for you and your family
4. Redding.com : Redding, California, News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions too.
Can u give me some more specifics on the "good neighborhoods" good schools(elementary) to where we can finish raise a 11, 10 and 4th year old. May be moving up there in september octuber this year. Thanks

Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 60,418 times
A year since I moved to Redding.

I miss the city, but it feels that I am in vacation. From living in the fast lane, I am "detoxifying" from "not having time" for anything. From "busy man" to family man. Here at first, having quite a bit of time in my hands that I didn't have before, I didn't know what to do. A good time to set priorities straight. Family is first. Now I am a famous daddy in my household and all I do is a matter of choice. Even going to church, no longer because I have to go, but because I want to, because is good for me and my family.

God has been SO faithful. I still have a job, which is the hardest thing to get here... but not impossible. We are doing better each day and we are loving being Northern Californians.

But yet, by all means, people like us that are 'moving in a leap of faith', I have met families that have not done that well. It is a calculated move, it is something like "count the cost" before you move. And over all you do, obey God, make sure if Him and after that consider your family.

I wish you the best. Maybe I will post our story later. The best to you!!! I love this community.

I am still impressed by Notmeofficer, whom gave so much information and took the time to write.

Blessings to all.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,908 times
iCalifornia, Thank you for sharing your relocation experience and your faith experience. My family and I are are considering moving to Redding for very similar reasons as yours. My wife has felt the call from God to attend the Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry. She has attended conferences to hear Bill Johnson speak. I have been listening to the weekly podcasts for some time and feel drawn to the Bethel Church. We are planning a visit in mid January to visit the church and the city. I have been researching job opportunities in the area but the job market seems very limited. Are you familiar with any career placement organizations in the area?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM

9 posts, read 60,418 times
Redding is an interesting place. Pretty much, like half city, half town. But most important places where you could be looking for work, won't even bother to see you. They will tell you "submit your resume online". In fact, after going to many places including job placement centers, I found one of the best sources: Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed. This seems to be a fusion of jobs online. Search there and I wish you the best.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,660 times
I've just heard that Redding is actually a pretty conservative place to live,the majoity >75%w/republican views.We are(my family)considering moving back to the west coast & specifically to Redding in part,because of this.Some of our kids are schoolage & we'd like to know more about the kid culture in the area.Is meth a problem?What about homeless people/vagrants allowed to live or sleep in the parks?And what's all this re:the polloution there?People in statistics show it's very air polluted especially in the Summer.Are there Christians there?I don't mean a bunch of looney cult followings,I mean followers of Christ,not "religious zealots" if you get my drift.Do the teens drink alot there?What about community gatherings?Here in Co we moved here & people were knocking down our door to just visit say hi,bring welcome gifts.Do people always keep to themselves?Are they friendly?In Eugene,Or it was becoming out of control liberal as well as southern cal snooty & that makes things rough on families,Are people for real/genuine for the most part or are they keeping up w.the Jones like bigger cities?What about pot around there?Lastly,are the hospitals good there?I'll check back w/you & thanks for all the other input so far....BR in Windsor,Co for now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California