Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM

57 posts, read 304,448 times

Advertisements

UTBFREAD, Since you mentioned you are "done with subdivisions", how bout' considering a short 10 to 20 minute drive just out of Redding proper to Old Shasta, French Gulch area!
There's alot of homes available in the Swazey Drive area AND there a few in the French Gulch area. Oh, one in French Gulch just got sold, a lovely original completely restored historical home on Clear Creek.
Old Shasta is so perfectly located to come right into Redding and then a few minutes your back into the country. The lots there are beautiful!
Say, I did not think that the President coming to Redding was bad?
He's given alot of Federal money to help pay for all this, so I don't understand the other posters complaint about the President coming here to alot all that Federal money for all the help it will give this county!
Anyways, I was talking about the area of Redding just South of the Shasta County Jail. Like going South from Court Street towards Anderson. That area is very pathetic now. Lots of vacant homes, and alot of low-income housing units planned to drag that area down.
Guess every city has a slum, and South West Redding is destined to become that.
They keep making such a fuss about that low-income subdivision South of the new Library. Well, the area in general is terrible.
Full of homeless and alcoholic drug and parolles.
North Eastern Redding is nice, as long as you stay towards the college.
Then North, north Redding has some nice areas above Caldwell park.
There will be more subdivisions put up, that is just progress and the way it goes.
I really made a mistake telling you about the B & B in Anderson. Oh, and it is an 1800's historical home, I said 1900's.
There's a B & B in French Gulch on Main Street. Really nice little old gold mining town up there.
My opinion of REO's is that 'Buyer Beware'!
What people do to those repo foreclosure homes can be very bad sometimes!
So, be careful to have a dependable home inspection service find out what they have done in their anger to the property.
This IS a good time to buy. People are ready to Bargin right now.
Redding has people miving in and out all the time.
If you go just a bit further outside the City limits, you will find a whole world of more space. Bigger lots and lots of nature abounding.
I know a family that moved from San Diego to Lewiston and they are the happiest family I know.
They just went boating on Whiskeytown lake even with the fire going on.
Things will grow back. And, people will always keep moving up here from down South. This is a very desired area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde View Post
Wow, that is scary. If I were her, I would be reporting this to the closest police station, and getting their help. (Maybe she already has done this?)
I can totally believe this story! Shasta County has one of the largest Registered Sex Offenders amount in the Nation.
I don't know why, but this can be validated by Googling Registered Sex Offenders Redding Shasta County.
It's one of the reasons I'm moving to Oregon.
For a long time Redding was a wonderful city. It's just not for me anymore. I want to live like Redding used to be, and that's a small town I found in Oregon.
I will be transferring in from my current job position, so I'm not taking anyone's Oregon job away.
And, I'm not a rich person from California either. But, I am buying a home in Oregon.
I cannot wait till' I can move to Oregon

Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,772,398 times
check the wiki page. it says it's the fastest growing city in the mountain/far north cali region. it said it would be ay 250,000 ppl in like 2050 or something. and then it said it just jumped to 114,000 ppl this year from some big annexation of land. it's a nice area right now, and has good surrounding communities. but with more ppl i fear it might be worsened.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 AM

259 posts, read 765,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIwillbebrokeby2010 View Post
UTBFREAD, Since you mentioned you are "done with subdivisions", how bout' considering a short 10 to 20 minute drive just out of Redding proper to Old Shasta, French Gulch area!
There's alot of homes available in the Swazey Drive area AND there a few in the French Gulch area. Oh, one in French Gulch just got sold, a lovely original completely restored historical home on Clear Creek.
Old Shasta is so perfectly located to come right into Redding and then a few minutes your back into the country. The lots there are beautiful!
Say, I did not think that the President coming to Redding was bad?
He's given alot of Federal money to help pay for all this, so I don't understand the other posters complaint about the President coming here to alot all that Federal money for all the help it will give this county!
Anyways, I was talking about the area of Redding just South of the Shasta County Jail. Like going South from Court Street towards Anderson. That area is very pathetic now. Lots of vacant homes, and alot of low-income housing units planned to drag that area down.
Guess every city has a slum, and South West Redding is destined to become that.
They keep making such a fuss about that low-income subdivision South of the new Library. Well, the area in general is terrible.
Full of homeless and alcoholic drug and parolles.
North Eastern Redding is nice, as long as you stay towards the college.
Then North, north Redding has some nice areas above Caldwell park.
There will be more subdivisions put up, that is just progress and the way it goes.
I really made a mistake telling you about the B & B in Anderson. Oh, and it is an 1800's historical home, I said 1900's.
There's a B & B in French Gulch on Main Street. Really nice little old gold mining town up there.
My opinion of REO's is that 'Buyer Beware'!
What people do to those repo foreclosure homes can be very bad sometimes!
So, be careful to have a dependable home inspection service find out what they have done in their anger to the property.
This IS a good time to buy. People are ready to Bargin right now.
Redding has people miving in and out all the time.
If you go just a bit further outside the City limits, you will find a whole world of more space. Bigger lots and lots of nature abounding.
I know a family that moved from San Diego to Lewiston and they are the happiest family I know.
They just went boating on Whiskeytown lake even with the fire going on.
Things will grow back. And, people will always keep moving up here from down South. This is a very desired area.
I agree, I would LOVE to live that close to Whiskeytown Lake...best place on Earth in my opinion. I spent many weekends there growing up.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
check the wiki page. it says it's the fastest growing city in the mountain/far north cali region. it said it would be ay 250,000 ppl in like 2050 or something. and then it said it just jumped to 114,000 ppl this year from some big annexation of land. it's a nice area right now, and has good surrounding communities. but with more ppl i fear it might be worsened.
Thank you so much for this information, the city!
I really don't think it will take until 2050 though to get to 250,000.
There are people FLOODING into Redding every single month.
It's been going like that for just over a year now.
I would have guess it is actually over 114,000 ppl now. Could by since your post! LOL.
Sure would like to know alot more about this Big Annexation of Land.
Who is involved, Where it is that the Annexation land is at, What's going to become of this Annexation land? So many questions I have about this!
Sure glad you posted this.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM

259 posts, read 765,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIwillbebrokeby2010 View Post
Thank you so much for this information, the city!
I really don't think it will take until 2050 though to get to 250,000.
There are people FLOODING into Redding every single month.
It's been going like that for just over a year now.
I would have guess it is actually over 114,000 ppl now. Could by since your post! LOL.
Sure would like to know alot more about this Big Annexation of Land.
Who is involved, Where it is that the Annexation land is at, What's going to become of this Annexation land? So many questions I have about this!
Sure glad you posted this.
Redding is growing quickly, but if covers such a vast area that it really doesn't have that big town feeling yet.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,733,803 times
It got up to 109 degrees today in Redding .

Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,487 times
Default Redding is still a great place to live

Redding is a great place to live if employment is not a consideration. That is unless you are in the healthcare profession. Some even commute to larger cities and enjoy the lower cost of living here. The housing market is very reasonable compared to most other places in CA. There aren't many bars per say but several eating establishments that serve cocktails. Lots of places to dine out or get fast food, LOTS of coffee joints and a growing number of retail stores.

As for the crime rate here, it might seem to some that it is terrible and compared to past years, I suppose it is. I am from the Bay Area and I must say that I have never felt afraid of walking the area at night. Law enforcement here is over the top. Drive by shooting are practically unheard of here and the murder rate is very very low. Of course there are bad guys here, that is a given. When there are people there will be bad ones in the crowd. Gangs have not made a place here, meth has become a problem, there are many parolees here but the majority are not major criminals, sex offenders are listed on megan's law so if you are concerned about someone it is easy to check them out there.

The mountains, lakes, resorts, and winter sports are unsurpassed. I love redding and I have been here since 1993. It isnt a perfect place but if anyone knows where a perfect place is, I would love to know. I have thought of moving but I can't think of anywhere else that I would rather live. I have lived in the bay area, medford or, st louis mo, las vegas, texas and oklahoma and this is where I have found it to feel most like home. Things can be good or bad anywhere so just because someone had a bad experience here does not make it a bad place.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 25,277 times
How about the Cottonwood area? Does it have anything in the way of banks, grocery stores, restaurants, fast food places, post office, doctor offices, etc. I can't seem to find much information on the area other than it's a great place to live if you want some property (acreage) which is what we are looking for. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:13 AM

9 posts, read 60,418 times
I decided to pass by. It's been a long time I don't post. I will say that all these 5 months that I have been in Redding, we have absolutley loved it. The locals are nice people and they have told us that the summer has been gentle. We experienced 112 Degrees. But you know what? it is dry heat. It was bearable for us. Yes it felt that you had your head stuck in the dryer, but it was bearable. Now, one thing that was a big plus is that the place where we live has central air conditioning, so if it was too hot, we just ran inside the house. We went through the fires, and now nice rain, I guess the beginning of the rainy season.
I must say that coming from L.A. to Redding has felt like vacation. Life is a lot slower here, every body drives SLOW!!!! or is it me? I guess its me. I got pulled over for running at 40 MPH in the Cypress bridge. But even the cop was gentle.

Anyway. I am thankful to live here. My children and my wife love it. We are very happy. However, mostly we came because of Bethel Church and we are glad we moved. However, all the rest has been great, again, because we are in that mission. Everything came together for us. I highly recommend to scout first before anyone plans on coming to live here. Very valuable information: Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed this place concentrates the online jobs in Redding. I got this website through the "Smart Center" in Downtown, which is a place where they help locals find jobs. It is quite interesting that Redding is yet a town like place but many of the jobs I tried applying for did not wanted to receive applications in person. I was told so many times: "apply online".
So, scouting in the city is great, and is strongly encouraged, but make sure you visit indeed.com, get some interviews going on and get your schedule busy. Last resource: There are temporary agencies, Rush personnel and Express personnel are good agencies. Express Personnel was the most professional and detailed.

Hope this helps somebody...

God bless you all.

Last edited by iCalifornia; 11-04-2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: word repeat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California