Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 06:35 PM

152 posts, read 130,599 times

Advertisements

A ping just came in from Twitter telling me Atherton is most desirable city in the US to live. What is it that makes this place so special? Why is it where everyone wants to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 08:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Atherton is nice, so are a bunch of other places in America.
I don’t think Atherton is even in the top 10 in California
Sounds like some numb nut spammed you with an opinion piece.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:51 PM

579 posts, read 511,913 times
Atherton isn't just rich. It's home to some serious movers and shakers of this world. It's where folks who can afford the finest things and life are clustered. Great schools, great weather, and a beautiful setting.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:49 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Median house price?

$ 7 million+

So, yeah, losers won't be applying for food stamps there.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:37 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
It's been a while since I was over that way but iirc, isn't Atherton by Woodside? I like Woodside. I think if I had the money, that's where I'd live. It's beauuuuutiful ♥ All I can say about Atherton or any place near it, you better have mega bucks to set roots down there.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:35 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Outwardly nothing much imo. Atherton is quiet and treelined, and most homes have huge hedges so you can't really see much from the street, but one thing separates it from other places in the area: From the beginning way back, Atherton required and requires every property to be at least 1-acre, and the town is flat, so an entire acre of flat land in the middle of the 2nd most densely populated urban area in the country(San Francisco-Oakland) is a massive luxury, and then you throw in the fact that Atherton is next to Palo Alto and Menlo Park, which are basically the Wall Street of global tech investment, then it's no wonder that people with a lot of money buy homes there.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:49 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Outwardly nothing much imo. Atherton is quiet and treelined, and most homes have huge hedges so you can't really see much from the street, but one thing separates it from other places in the area: From the beginning way back, Atherton required and requires every property to be at least 1-acre, and the town is flat, so an entire acre of flat land in the middle of the 2nd most densely populated urban area in the country(San Francisco-Oakland) is a massive luxury, and then you throw in the fact that Atherton is next to Palo Alto and Menlo Park, which are basically the Wall Street of global tech investment, then it's no wonder that people with a lot of money buy homes there.
That's a good point, though some other Peninsula towns are similar (see: Hillsborough). And I was surprised at how common that is in some E Coast suburbs, too: areas with nothing but 1-2-acre lots. (Parts of Maryland, where people commute to DC, for example. Also: parts of Pennsylvania, and, I'm guessing, Virginia also in the DC commuter corridor).

Old 10-05-2022, 12:47 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's a good point, though some other Peninsula towns are similar (see: Hillsborough). And I was surprised at how common that is in some E Coast suburbs, too: areas with nothing but 1-2-acre lots. (Parts of Maryland, where people commute to DC, for example. Also: parts of Pennsylvania, and, I'm guessing, Virginia also in the DC commuter corridor).

The second to last time I was in Charleston, SC (late 2020) I stayed in a suites hotel in the West Ashley area. There is a neighborhood in West Ashley known as The Crescent (and Cresent..without the second c is adjacent). It sort of reminds me of Atherton. The Crescent is within walking distance of The Porter-Gaud School (a prep school....Stephen Colbert is an alum. He didn't grow up in The Crescent. He grew up across Elliot Creek on James Island).

Old 10-05-2022, 07:51 PM

472 posts, read 668,106 times
The only thing special about Atherton is that its residents are rich. Wealthy people wants to live with wealthy people, and the price is not an issue. The price drives people not wealthy enough out of the area and what's left are wealthy people. When a lot of wealthy people live in an area, it will have good everything.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:10 PM

249 posts, read 165,448 times
I do not think there is off street parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California