Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 03:42 PM

1,066 posts, read 784,616 times

Advertisements

There's nothing distinctive about Atherton other than its high concentration of uber wealthy tech elite. The city caters to their desires for safety, privacy, and exclusivity. It allows them to live in proximity to their ventures while avoiding the unwashed masses. It's not for "normal" people, which is why it is bizarre to include it on a most desirable place to live list. For the aspirational merely wealthy non-billionaires residing there, the most important aspect of living in Atherton seems to be letting everyone else know that you live there. Which, curiously, somehow gets worked into every conversation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 09:43 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,791,421 times
The ultimate luxury is anonymity. That is more easily obtained in Atherton.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:08 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
My father lived there for a number of years... it was nice, quiet, clean, etc. Too boring and overpriced for my taste (even if I had the money), but it is what it is.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:46 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
I don't know if Atherton is anything special but it sure did make some news today. Landscapers working in a yard uncovered a buried car on the property. It appears the car has been there since the 90's. I'd love to know if they'll investigate it a bit further and see if they can find out who buried it. It's just one of those weird stories that catches your attention. At least, it does mine.

I've linked the article here for those who care to read it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/landscape...082511660.html

I've heard of such things happening but usually in remote areas of the country. Never in an affluent part of California.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:39 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,126 times
I live next to Atherton. Here are some insights.

It's really nice. Shaded. Lots of flora. Quiet. Centrai location on the Peninsula. No crime. I run through all the streets.

The Peninsula is essenitially the most expensive area of California. Housing costs are mainly the value of the land.

Atherton has large lots on some of the most valuable land in the U.S., thus it is the most expensive.

Woodside also has large lots on quiet streets, and although adjacent to Atherton, is less centralized so might be slightly cheaper.

Now if I had say 7 million, would I buy a smaller house in Atherton, or a house with an ocean view and walking distance to beach in say Del Mar?

I would choose Del Mar.

Old 10-27-2022, 03:54 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,521 times
I guess finding a Mercedes Benz convertible buried in a backyard could make Atherton special..... :-)

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...n-17531003.php

Old 10-27-2022, 04:49 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times
Would anyone watch “The Real Housewives of Atherton”?

Old 10-27-2022, 05:30 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I live next to Atherton. Here are some insights.

It's really nice. Shaded. Lots of flora. Quiet. Centrai location on the Peninsula. No crime. I run through all the streets.

The Peninsula is essenitially the most expensive area of California. Housing costs are mainly the value of the land.

Atherton has large lots on some of the most valuable land in the U.S., thus it is the most expensive.

Woodside also has large lots on quiet streets, and although adjacent to Atherton, is less centralized so might be slightly cheaper.

Now if I had say 7 million, would I buy a smaller house in Atherton, or a house with an ocean view and walking distance to beach in say Del Mar?

I would choose Del Mar.
Yeah, but Del Mar has that stupid, NOISEY, train at all hours of the day and night. (The 05:22 train horn wakes me up, everyday.)
Counted how many trains roll thru there on a typical weekday once. From 7:30 AM to 4:30PM, there were about 30 trains that rolled thru there. Coaster, Am-Track, BNSF freighter are the trains that use the ONLY rail line from Los Angeles to San Diego...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California