Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 04:41 PM

18,985 posts, read 32,886,727 times

Advertisements

Gavin Newsom, who said Democrats should 'lean into' vaccine mandates, asks court to halt one

The state's prison guard union — a group that donated $1.75 million to Newsom in September's recall election — had argued against the vaccine mandate along with the Newsom administration. Cal Matters reported Wednesday that the Newsom administration has formally moved forward with appealing the judge's order to the Ninth Circuit in an attempt to block the mandate.

Newsom's hostility towards the mandate for prison guards does not align with his previous statements on COVID mitigation efforts, including vaccine mandates.

The governor has also faced criticism for not mandating the COVID-19 vaccine for school staff in addition to children. Teachers unions were also large donors to Newsom's anti-recall campaign.

I'm just curious what is the "science" behind this. Are prison guards less susceptible to the virus than even young schoolchildren?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 04:52 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,241,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Gavin Newsom, who said Democrats should 'lean into' vaccine mandates, asks court to halt one

The state's prison guard union — a group that donated $1.75 million to Newsom in September's recall election — had argued against the vaccine mandate along with the Newsom administration. Cal Matters reported Wednesday that the Newsom administration has formally moved forward with appealing the judge's order to the Ninth Circuit in an attempt to block the mandate.

Newsom's hostility towards the mandate for prison guards does not align with his previous statements on COVID mitigation efforts, including vaccine mandates.

The governor has also faced criticism for not mandating the COVID-19 vaccine for school staff in addition to children. Teachers unions were also large donors to Newsom's anti-recall campaign.

I'm just curious what is the "science" behind this. Are prison guards less susceptible to the virus than even young schoolchildren?
That is strange isn’t it? It’s almost like Newsom can be bought. But that can’t be he personally saved millions of Californians from a deadly virus.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 692,821 times
Might there be other reasons? Maybe if prison guards did sick-ins prisons would become more dangerous and he is not willing to take that chance? (I have no idea, just guessing at a possible other reason rather than being bought by one specific group.)

Old 10-13-2021, 07:52 PM

19,410 posts, read 16,987,453 times
Quote:
I'd like to see the science behind this one, too. During the height of the first round of virus, a lot of guards and prisoners were infected. Some prisoners died too but we didn't get too much news on that one.

Sure seems strange that he'd be willing to let the mandate slide on them. Curious Oh wait. No. It couldn't be what I'm thinking.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:02 PM

4,387 posts, read 6,367,709 times
Quote:

This is one of the areas where I agree with you here. Not sure on the motivation, but it appears he's again caving to some type of political pressure.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:40 PM

18,985 posts, read 32,886,727 times
Yeah I think some you can drop that whole “Newsom follows the science” pretense now.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:09 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,524,447 times
Quote:
for not mandating the COVID-19 vaccine for school staff in addition to children.

Why does this keep getting repeated?
I posted this to the other thread about K-12 vaccines. Excerpt:

This mandate, however, doesn’t just put the responsibility on students. All public school employees will be required to be vaccinated as soon as the mandate takes effect for students. Until now, teachers and staff were either required to be vaccinated or undergo regular testing for COVID-19; negative tests will no longer suffice.

The state affiliate, mainly CTA, never formally fought vaccination requirements. Also, LAUSD and SDUSD (the two largest in the state) both put forward employee vaccine mandates before the state waded into the debate. There isn't resistance from education like there is with law enforcement and other public services, including this terribly obvious debt repayment Newsom is forging via his defense of the prison guards.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:13 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,524,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Not sure on the motivation, but it appears he's again caving to some type of political pressure.

The motivation is obvious. What's not to be sure about here?

Old 10-13-2021, 11:55 PM

316 posts, read 132,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Might there be other reasons? Maybe if prison guards did sick-ins prisons would become more dangerous and he is not willing to take that chance? (I have no idea, just guessing at a possible other reason rather than being bought by one specific group.)
Occam's razor says he's a union puppet. It's so painfully obvious that the usual Democrat apologist didn't even show up here.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:38 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,439,792 times
Newsom is a spineless weasel in caving to the Peace Officers Union on this issue.

I can't say for sure but I have a hunch Antonio Villaraigosa (who ran in the 2018 primary) would have stood up to the union on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California