Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2023, 11:01 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I’ve lived in the Bay Area for over a decade and lived in 6 different cities (SF, peninsula, south bay, coast side ). All of CA does not have a climate like San Diego. Are our beaches warm and beautiful too here? Nothing like 54 degree water in August. Average highs when I lived on the coast were about 65 in the summer with lows in the low 50s. Nothing makes me laugh more than meeting tourists at Pacifica with out of state plates with people standing in shorts visibly shivering midsummer. When they ask me where is a nice beach I usually tell them Mexico.

I’m usually amazed at how wonderful and not foggy the weather is in San Bruno when I arrive at the airport in the summer. Nothing like arriving at the airport in mid July to find it 64 degrees and windy at 4 pm after spending it at a place with a real nice summer.

Is Modesto also a beautiful place with a wonderful climate? Bakersfield? Eureka? GTFO of here.

Outside of the southern CA population centers a lot of the climate in CA sucks. The southern part of Silicon Valley and a narrow band of East Bay also have good weather but that doesn’t disprove my point. And the fog line is really around San Carlos on the peninsula—everything north of that (San Mateo, San Bruno etc) is often prone to midsummer wind and fog. South SF, SF, Daly City the coast (where millions live) have a pretty mediocre foggy maritime climate as do some of the East bay communities right on the Bay.
You simply sound like a transplant that thinks he knows a little more than he does. And no, I'm not going to waste a lot of time debating anyone with information that is easily obtainable through any kind of weather report. The fact of the matter is starting in San Bruno and continuing southward, you will find highs in the '70s and up for roughly 5 months of the year (again, easily verifiable by looking at any monthly weather report for the area). When I worked in Palo Alto, it was usually in the high 70s during the summer. When I used to work in Pleasant Hill,. I would leave Daly City with a temperature of about 55°. By the time I got to Oakland it was already in the '70s, going through the Caldecott tunnel, we climbed to 80s, and by the time I got to Pleasant Hill it was typically over 90 and by that time I had stripped off a lot of clothes.

And FWIW, I lived in the Bay Area for over 50 years so I think I have a pretty good gauge on what the weather is like. And sorry, but most people don't live on the beach (and no one I know lives in the airport) so to continue on with that nonsense is an exercise in futility (but as usual you're simply trying to move the goal post again and cherry pick as you clearly don't understand what comprises the Bay Area...hard to believe with someone that claims they have lived in the area for over a decade)..

I also have a good perspective on other areas of the country too as I spend more time in Austin now even though we have houses in that area and still in Daly City. If for some reason you think practically breaking a record for consecutive 100° days with oppressive humidity, and then being followed up with a feels like temperature of -5° in the winter time is good weather, then more power to you. We spent a lot of trips coming back to the Bay Area just to get some relief from the summer heat.

You're on your own little conservative island (which is all your narrative is about) if you expect anyone to believe that the weather in the Bay Area and California in particular is not far superior to most areas of the country.

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-03-2023 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 12:31 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Over 40% of applicants for disability typically get it. In areas where you have crooked/compliant doctors it’s certainly much much easier. Your ease of getting it varies depending on where you live. The government typically doesn’t want people getting it with mild injuries as 99% never return to work. But determined scammers absolutely can get it. Most are rejected the first application but getting it on appeal is more feasible.

https://www.npr.org/2013/03/25/17529...-on-disability

California contains 1/3 of all Americans on public assistance and is one of the most generous by far. SSI pays $900 a month (if you never worked) or more if you worked and you can get SSDI and you get medical/SNAP/HUD and other free goodies on top of it especially if you have kids.
That's unequivocally false.

First, state aid. One in three? Yeah, not even close. California spends about $3400 per capita in state and local welfare, for a total of about $132 billion, which is slightly less than 18% of the $744 billion spent annually. Of course, since California's GDP is about 1/7th that of the entire country, it can afford it.
https://www.urban.org/policy-centers...e-expenditures

Next, federal aid.
SSI: Less than 1/6th of all recipients are in California
SNAP: Less than 1/10th of all recipients are in California
HUD: About 1 in 20 recipients of federal housing aid are in California
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/stat...1/table01.html
https://fns-prod.azureedge.us/sites/...PcurrPP-12.pdf
https://www.cbpp.org/research/housin...ct-sheets-data

Just so you know, when you make a wild claim like 'California contains 1/3 of all Americans on public assistance', which is mathematically nonsensical, people are going to fact-check you and point out that you're ... let me put this politely ... incorrect.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post

And FWIW, I lived in the Bay Area for over 50 years so I think I have a pretty good gauge on what the weather is like. And sorry, but most people don't live on the beach (and no one I know lives in the airport) so to continue on with that nonsense is an exercise in futility (but as usual you're simply trying to move the goal post again and cherry pick as you clearly don't understand what comprises the Bay Area...hard to believe with someone that claims they have lived in the area for over a decade)..

I also have a good perspective on other areas of the country too as I spend more time in Austin now even though we have houses in that area and still in Daly City. If for some reason you think practically breaking a record for consecutive 100° days with oppressive humidity, and then being followed up with a feels like temperature of -5° in the winter time is good weather, then more power to you. We spent a lot of trips coming back to the Bay Area just to get some relief from the summer heat.
San Bruno has an average high of 70+ 4 months a year and the hottest month is September with an average high of 72 and average low of 56. Not really summer weather, and it means plenty of days with highs in the 60s in the summer. It’s quite windy too.

You seem fixated on San Bruno for some reason. I already said parts of the Bay Area and much of Southern CA have delightful weather. But 2/3 of the state live in a small land area in these two areas. The rest of the state largely has a horrible climate.

How many years do you think it takes to figure out the weather? I lived here as a kid for a while too on the coast and the weather/beaches were awful.

Austin TX has a horrible climate too. What about Key Biscayne, Fl, Maui, or even coastal areas of Texas? Where the highs rarely get to 100 and they often have a breeze. Presumably if you can afford CA you can afford these areas too. If you’re there for only the summer New Mexico is also pretty lovely in many areas. Arizona is nicer in the winter than most of CA. Most remote tech workers can easily afford 2 homes for the price of 1 in CA and work the seasons to their favor.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
San Bruno has an average high of 70+ 4 months a year and the hottest month is September with an average high of 72 and average low of 56. Not really summer weather, and it means plenty of days with highs in the 60s in the summer. It’s quite windy too.

You seem fixated on San Bruno for some reason. I already said parts of the Bay Area and much of Southern CA have delightful weather. But 2/3 of the state live in a small land area in these two areas. The rest of the state largely has a horrible climate.

How many years do you think it takes to figure out the weather? I lived here as a kid for a while too on the coast and the weather/beaches were awful.

Austin TX has a horrible climate too. What about Key Biscayne, Fl, Maui, or even coastal areas of Texas? Where the highs rarely get to 100 and they often have a breeze. Presumably if you can afford CA you can afford these areas too. If you’re there for only the summer New Mexico is also pretty lovely in many areas. Arizona is nicer in the winter than most of CA. Most remote tech workers can easily afford 2 homes for the price of 1 in CA and work the seasons to their favor.
Not fixated at all on San Bruno. It's the starting point on the Peninsula when you're looking at 70+ degree weather, hence the reference (most people I know think a range of 70-80 is pretty nice....if you don't, that's your deal). Again, feel free to live on that Conservative island by calling the climate in California horrible (you're an outlier, the temperature is not sub 65 and It certainly not freezing as you stated in your other post). Like I said, not going to waste time arguing about it (everyone here knows you like to argue and that you think you're right about everything...but you're not).

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...4a62a85a654823

June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct = 5

Anyone else that wants to look at San Bruno, the rest of San Mateo county, Contra Costa, Alameda County, Solano County, or Sonoma County, feel free (it's very easy to look up the information).

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-03-2023 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-03-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
That's unequivocally false.

First, state aid. One in three? Yeah, not even close. California spends about $3400 per capita in state and local welfare, for a total of about $132 billion, which is slightly less than 18% of the $744 billion spent annually. Of course, since California's GDP is about 1/7th that of the entire country, it can afford it.
https://www.urban.org/policy-centers...e-expenditures

Next, federal aid.
SSI: Less than 1/6th of all recipients are in California
SNAP: Less than 1/10th of all recipients are in California
HUD: About 1 in 20 recipients of federal housing aid are in California
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/stat...1/table01.html
https://fns-prod.azureedge.us/sites/...PcurrPP-12.pdf
https://www.cbpp.org/research/housin...ct-sheets-data

Just so you know, when you make a wild claim like 'California contains 1/3 of all Americans on public assistance', which is mathematically nonsensical, people are going to fact-check you and point out that you're ... let me put this politely ... incorrect.
Oh you mean he lied....again. Don't worry, he'll be back with some ridiculous spin job.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:34 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:

I lived in coastal Texas. Way too hot. It's why I moved to California. That and the welfare benefits these libs keep feeding me.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:54 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Okay I don’t live here

There’s a narrow band of nice weather from San Jose to Redwood City and east bay 5-15 miles inland from the Bay. San Bruno, San Mateo, all the way to much of Marin is freezing a lot of the summer as is Berkeley /Oakland near the water except mid-August to mid October.

For the most part all of SF, and the whole coastal area has crummy weather. This is true all the way from just north of Santa Barbara all the way to Crescent City with average summer highs in the 60s. Go more than 20 miles inland too in a lot of it and you cook with highs over 100 much of the summer. There’s exceptions in the sweet spots but overall I’m not lying. It’s hard to classify the “majority” of the state for having great weather it’s simply not true.

Just so wrong. I lived in SF, the Inner Richmond, not too long, not much more than a year, but by far the best weather I've ever had year round. Never really needed heat, never needed A/C. Just about perfect. Not once did I wear anything heavier than a sweatshirt. Literally it would be the absolutely ideal weather.

The weather is what makes that region so perfect.

That, and the incredible varied natural resources / ecosystems.

Old 01-03-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Just so wrong. I lived in SF, the Inner Richmond, not too long, not much more than a year, but by far the best weather I've ever had year round. Never really needed heat, never needed A/C. Just about perfect. Not once did I wear anything heavier than a sweatshirt. Literally it would be the absolutely ideal weather.

The weather is what makes that region so perfect.

That, and the incredible varied natural resources / ecosystems.
Yeah he doesn't understand microclimates either. The Mission district is also quite nice.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:43 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's like "hey we're all happy here, thanks for the advice, we will leave or stay whenever we want."

"wait what!?!?! Why aren't you leaving!??!?! It's so expensive!?!?! And ugly!?!??! We know you can't afford it or you're on welfare. You're on welfare aren't you, just admit it!??!?"

Calm down. We're enjoying the weather, scenery, food, etc. You don't have to.
You have to understand that you're leading a terrible life! For - reasons!

And I'll just drop this little Houston Chronicle piece here:

Yes, Texans actually pay more in taxes than Californians do

Old 01-03-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You have to understand that you're leading a terrible life! For - reasons!

And I'll just drop this little Houston Chronicle piece here:

Yes, Texans actually pay more in taxes than Californians do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Typical California shafting the poor.
According to ITEP, Texans whose salaries fall into the lowest 20 percent of income earners (making less than $20,900 annually) pay about 13 percent of their income in state and local taxes. Meanwhile, Californians in the bottom 20 percent (making less than $23,200 annually) pay 10.5 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California