Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 01:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Your link is about disability in Hale County, Alabama.

Qualifying for Social Security Disability in California involves the same medical disability process as any other state....The initial disability claim approval rate in California is 31.9 percent, which is slightly above the national average of 31.7 percent.

https://www.ssdrc.com/state-californ...i-qualify.html
https://www.finder.com/hardest-state-to-get-disability

California is easier to get disability in than Alabama. Under the Biden admin it’s been easier overall. In 2020 about 42% of applicants received it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 02:42 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Whole lot of non-Californians in a thread about California.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:28 PM

501 posts, read 195,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Whole lot of non-Californians in a thread about California.
The darndest thing!

Old 01-01-2023, 05:35 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
The darndest thing!
It's like "hey we're all happy here, thanks for the advice, we will leave or stay whenever we want."

"wait what!?!?! Why aren't you leaving!??!?! It's so expensive!?!?! And ugly!?!??! We know you can't afford it or you're on welfare. You're on welfare aren't you, just admit it!??!?"

Calm down. We're enjoying the weather, scenery, food, etc. You don't have to.

Old 01-01-2023, 05:59 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Its also true that tens of thousands of palm trees had to be imported into southern California to spruce up otherwise arid landscapes.
Yes?

And?

Where are those palm trees? Among other places, in Los Angeles County. In San Diego County. In Orange County. In Santa Barbara County. Say, what do those counties all have in common? They all have National Forests within their borders! National Forests! Teeming with Douglas-firs and Coulter pines and California walnuts and ponderosa black oaks and cottonwoods, among many others.

By the way, most palm trees you see in the United States are imports. Texas has palmettos, but the classic palm tree? All imports. And Florida? While it actually has proper native palm trees, the most common Florida palm, the areca? It's from Madagascar. The next-most common one, the queen palm? South America. After that, the foxtail palm? Australia.

So your offering into the discussion of someone's absurd claim that 'most' of California has 'very little trees' is to serve up the non sequitur that some parts of California (roughly a third of the state, as a matter of fact) is either desert or semi-arid? Because near as I can tell, '1/3rd' does not mean 'most'.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:00 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's like "hey we're all happy here, thanks for the advice, we will leave or stay whenever we want."

"wait what!?!?! Why aren't you leaving!??!?! It's so expensive!?!?! And ugly!?!??! We know you can't afford it or you're on welfare. You're on welfare aren't you, just admit it!??!?"

Calm down. We're enjoying the weather, scenery, food, etc. You don't have to.
Well you're not supposed to be happy (didn't you know that?). It's all about being angry, labeling, and gaslighting.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:35 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Pensions are often higher than you think. While it’s true they’ve finally started to reduce benefit payouts it doesn’t help against the current batch of retirees. Some of whom may be collecting for another 30-40 years. Bay Area firefighters can easily make 200k for pensions which is more than many software developers, nurses etc make working. Lifeguards receive too much due to public unions that donate to the Democratic Party and it’s a scam. Pension spiking is no longer allowed but many have been grandfathered in. Los Angeles’ budget accounts almost a quarter for pensions for example, which is a huge problem and many multiples higher than average.

Getting HUD actually isn’t that hard if you can get SSI/SSDI first. I know a small town in northern CA where over half the people receive disability usually for the same few reasons. Does everyone there really surfer from back pain and anxiety?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rogram/274302/

Once you’re on that gravy train you get free healthcare, food, rent etc. it’s much easier for single parents with kids and the benefit payments likely give rise to a large percentage of households being single parent ones as well.
Oh please...I'm retired on a CalPers pension, I know what they are, and if you are upset over it, then stay out of California.

And getting a "HUD" voucher (which makes no sense since HUD is an agency, not a thing you get) is still difficult, it's done by lottery usually conducted every 4 years, and the winners of the lottery wait for a section 8 voucher to become available. And if you had done some research you would know that HUD allows for local cities to prioritize who gets a voucher first and most California cities prioritize the working poor. In 2018 44,000 people applied for a section 8 voucher in Sacramento County, 7,000 'won' which means they were placed on a waiting list for a voucher, the problem is that a large number who received a voucher were unable to use it despite a law banning discrimination by landlords against applicants with a voucher. At any given time there have been 1200+ people in the county with a voucher that will expire without being used, why? Well, they don't have the down payment or they ran out of the $40 application fee they paid to dozens of landlords just to be denied. I tried to help a disabled lady navigate the system when she finally got a voucher - her voucher expired because she didn't have a FICO score, she applied for a dozen apartments and got denied for every single one because she lacks a credit history. She pays in cash for everything with her social security money has no credit cards but has great references from places where she lived in the past.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article257460633.html

And what town is this where half the population is on SSI or SSDI? I'd really love to look into that. And despite what you think, living on SSI or SSDI is not exactly a thing to aspire to. The SSI payment in 2023 is $914 a month, the average SSDI payment is $1358. Some gravy train, huh?

By the way I'm not sure why you are talking like SSI and SSDI are "California things" because California is one of the states with the lowest number of people as a percent of population receiving SSDI, West Virginia wins the prize for the highest percent of people receiving SSDI with 7.9% of their population and California comes out 48th with 2.5% https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-i...:%22desc%22%7D As far as SSI recipients, Mississippi wins that contest with 3.7% of it's population receiving SSI, in California 2.9% receive SSI https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-i...:%22desc%22%7D

Old 01-02-2023, 10:41 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
https://www.finder.com/hardest-state-to-get-disability

California is easier to get disability in than Alabama. Under the Biden admin it’s been easier overall. In 2020 about 42% of applicants received it.
Huh? Did you actually look at that link? If you had you would have seen that California came in #39 with 42.3% of applicants being approved, that means there are 38 states with a higher approval rating, with number one being Kansas with a 69.7% approval rate

Old 01-02-2023, 11:31 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh please...I'm retired on a CalPers pension, I know what they are, and if you are upset over it, then stay out of California.

And getting a "HUD" voucher (which makes no sense since HUD is an agency, not a thing you get) is still difficult, it's done by lottery usually conducted every 4 years, and the winners of the lottery wait for a section 8 voucher to become available. And if you had done some research you would know that HUD allows for local cities to prioritize who gets a voucher first and most California cities prioritize the working poor. In 2018 44,000 people applied for a section 8 voucher in Sacramento County, 7,000 'won' which means they were placed on a waiting list for a voucher, the problem is that a large number who received a voucher were unable to use it despite a law banning discrimination by landlords against applicants with a voucher. At any given time there have been 1200+ people in the county with a voucher that will expire without being used, why? Well, they don't have the down payment or they ran out of the $40 application fee they paid to dozens of landlords just to be denied. I tried to help a disabled lady navigate the system when she finally got a voucher - her voucher expired because she didn't have a FICO score, she applied for a dozen apartments and got denied for every single one because she lacks a credit history. She pays in cash for everything with her social security money has no credit cards but has great references from places where she lived in the past.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article257460633.html

And what town is this where half the population is on SSI or SSDI? I'd really love to look into that. And despite what you think, living on SSI or SSDI is not exactly a thing to aspire to. The SSI payment in 2023 is $914 a month, the average SSDI payment is $1358. Some gravy train, huh?

By the way I'm not sure why you are talking like SSI and SSDI are "California things" because California is one of the states with the lowest number of people as a percent of population receiving SSDI, West Virginia wins the prize for the highest percent of people receiving SSDI with 7.9% of their population and California comes out 48th with 2.5% https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-i...:%22desc%22%7D As far as SSI recipients, Mississippi wins that contest with 3.7% of it's population receiving SSI, in California 2.9% receive SSI https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-i...:%22desc%22%7D
Typical California shafting the poor.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:57 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
I recently drove through California on my way from Arizona to Washington. I was pleasantly surprised by how stunning and dramatic the landscapes are just immediately outside of LA area, particularly near Palm Springs and in Angeles National Forest. Regardless of politics, California will always have the weather and scenery appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California