Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 09:41 PM

50,323 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Except deaths in the vaccinated population are 95% lower than the last wave. See what's happening in England. Compare cases and deaths for the last two waves. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The virus is a non-issue for the vaccinated. Like a cold or light flu. The only ones who should worry are the unvaccinated.
That isn't going to keep people glued to cable news channels. People are infected...ok not dying but news ratings are up!!.

San Diego local govt hasn't bought into the hype...so far.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:09 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
The virus is a non-issue for the vaccinated. Like a cold or light flu. The only ones who should worry are the unvaccinated.
You don't know anyone who's gotten COVID-19 despite having been vaccinated? I now know five people who have. One is 18 years old, and she apparently transmitted it to one of her vaccinated parents. Except for one--not the 18 year old--they have all said that it's the worst flu they've ever experienced.

And vaccinated people can carry and transmit as much virus as the non-vaccinated.

https://apnews.com/article/science-h...5ca012b5ef84d1

Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You don't know anyone who's gotten COVID-19 despite having been vaccinated? I now know five people who have. One is 18 years old, and she apparently transmitted it to one of her vaccinated parents. Except for one--not the 18 year old--they have all said that it's the worst flu they've ever experienced.

And vaccinated people can carry and transmit as much virus as the non-vaccinated.

I will add that the Delta variaint is more transmissible then either the flu or common cold. I recall at work (I am currently retired) Somebody who showed up with a cold or flu symptoms, coworkers tried to keep their distance from that individual and usually comment would be made..,"why didn't you stay home?".....point being others wanted to avoid coming down with whatever that person had.....whether it was a cold or "just the flu"

Old 08-04-2021, 10:47 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:

Anecdotes are useless. Who cares about the viral load in vaccinated nasal passages? I don't worry about how many cold viruses are in my nose when I've got the sniffles.

Aggregated data is what is needed, and we have it from the UK. Vaccinated people have less to fear from COVID than they do from a host of other ways of dying like Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma or assault.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:16 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Nobody I know has mentioned getting breakthrough COVID. I personally think it's not plausible that COVID is as contagious from fully vaccinated people as from the others.

But I certainly don't agree with ignorant statement like it's less of a concern than getting lymphoma (a rare condition that isn't contagious).

The big problem here - maybe as a consequence of decades of widespread, rather effective healthcare that keeps the worst things from being obvious - is that people don't understand illness. While much less bad if it doesn't lead to hospitalization or death, a bad flu is a bad thing for whoever gets it and people with associated responsibilities and it's a bad thing for society if widespread in many age ranges. Many people in this world are limited in functionality from various health conditions and lead generally unhappy, unproductive lives. Who want to suddenly feel very old? That leads into the worst thing about "mild" COVID (defined as not needing hospital care). When it's like a bad flu, there's a significant chance some symptoms last for months. It's not okay to let this become anything like a new polio. And we all want to be able to do activities with barely any restrictions.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:41 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's not okay to let this become anything like a new polio. And we all want to be able to do activities with barely any restrictions.
Quite true. The lockdown monkeys might be OK with "few restrictions" but they want the ability to restrict to be in the control of some imaginary class of intelligentsia.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:43 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
You don't know anyone who's gotten COVID-19 despite having been vaccinated?

This is stunning. You're asking that in a tone that sounds like "wow, you don't know someone in a 1:5 category???" but the reality of your incredulity is based on odds of 1:400000 instead. And that's a fact. Breakthrough cases are exceedingly rare and hospitalization and death rates in that subset of numbers are lottery ticket, lightning strike odds --practically nil.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:47 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

The big problem here - maybe as a consequence of decades of widespread, rather effective healthcare that keeps the worst things from being obvious - is that people don't understand illness.

And you do.
Look, for the purposes of things such as whether or not to get vaccinated, or whether or not to worry about these practically non-existent breakthrough cases, an individual doesn't need a thirty year background in epidemiology. They just need to understand basic math. This isn't complicated. At all.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:35 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
This is stunning. You're asking that in a tone that sounds like "wow, you don't know someone in a 1:5 category???"
You're really on a roll with your projections this week. You have no idea what my tone is. When someone I know or care about is sick from something, neither they--nor I--are concerned about the statistics you continue to quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
but the reality of your incredulity is based on odds of 1:400000 instead. And that's a fact. Breakthrough cases are exceedingly rare
In other words, who cares about these people, especially if you don't personally know them, right? After all, they're such a tiny statistic.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,247 times
Quote:
You're really on a roll with your projections this week. You have no idea what my tone is. When someone I know or care about is sick from something, neither they--nor I--are concerned about the statistics you continue to quote.

In other words, who cares about these people, especially if you don't personally know them, right? After all, they're such a tiny statistic.
What is not being spoken about by many is that with the original virus, and more so with the Delta variation, long term problems are becoming more common and at all ages. Death are down, but long term BAD effects are going up. Not reported unless you read medical journals not attached to any major news or newspaper.

Last edited by Racer46; 08-04-2021 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California