Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 11:16 AM

382 posts, read 179,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not that surprised by this. There wasn't really a strong correlation between lockdowns/restrictions and deaths the states.
Yep. Time to lift all mask and vaccine mandates and follow the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Finland, and Denmark. Odds if Ca and LA lifts it before the Super Bowl, especially since little Covid transmitted from the Tampa SB.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...pa/6905658002/

Old 02-02-2022, 12:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Omicron is much more transmissible than the early versions. While the game itself might not spread much COVID-19, related mingling (for example, watch parties in restaurants) might, especially without masks. I think there's almost no chance LA lifts the mandate this month.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:22 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Omicron is much more transmissible than the early versions. While the game itself might not spread much COVID-19, related mingling (for example, watch parties in restaurants) might, especially without masks. I think there's almost no chance LA lifts the mandate this month.
This is probably been discussed somewhere among the 900+ pages of this thread I haven't been following religiously, but I suspect that the rapidly dropping Omicron case rates mean that just about everyone who is susceptible and hasn't been diligently isolating has already been exposed.

My family of five all had Covid early in January; in fact, we came down with it on the very date that turned out to be the peak in Orange County (Jan. 6). Two of us had positive home tests; two took no test but presumed that having the exact same symptoms as the positive family member meant that they had it as well; only one had a PCR test and was therefore included in the official count.

One out of five in the family was officially counted. This may be lower than average, but I'd be very, very surprised if the true number of cases was less than three times the recorded number. A LOT of people have had Omicron already and I really don't think that Super Bowl parties are going to make the positive cases suddenly shoot up again.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:42 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'd be very, very surprised if the true number of cases was less than three times the recorded number.
Interesting; you're probably right.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
I think it's at least twice the reported number, but that still leaves millions in Los Angeles who haven't been infected. I think we can assume that some millions have been exposed without being infected, but my guess is that generally doesn't generate any immunity. Super Bowl weekend in LA with the Rams hosting will be like a holiday gathering, and the city can't afford another flare. By the way, the more contagious, stealth version of Omicron probably will be common in the city by then. Masks generally aren't onerous, especially if the mingling is for only for a few hours.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:00 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujouner View Post
I have already disputed the article you posted by explaining the science isn’t settled for Covid and that all precautions should be standard until we know more about this virus. Doesn’t matter what awards NPR has won, they hide their agenda to their viewers which makes them not a credible source and you’re spreading misinformation on a public forum by citing their articles which can lead to the death of readers here.

I’m pointing out how NPR ignores relevant stories, yet claim no bias.
And I pointed out to you that whatever you may think - wrongly - about NPR doesn’t matter since the same coverage was delivered to the public all around the world by dozens of credible sources. I linked them for you to see. Do you actually think ALL of those sources are endangering the world-wide public by reporting on developments experienced in Africa?

I’m spreading misinformation by linking international news from NPR, Reuters, Bloomberg, BBC, NBC, VOA, WHO, et al?

Lol.

The research studies were performed by completely credible epidemiologists at respected institutions … and carefully reported and fact-checked editorially by dozens of media.

This isn’t about your personal opinion of NPR. Nor is it about your personal, anonymous opinions about what is dangerous misinformation. The link covered a widely distributed, well sourced, highly credible series of research reported world wide.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:08 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
Yep. Time to lift all mask and vaccine mandates and follow the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Finland, and Denmark. Odds if Ca and LA lifts it before the Super Bowl, especially since little Covid transmitted from the Tampa SB.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...pa/6905658002/
Yep. Lucky that Newsome likes to get out in front of things to look like a leader, so we can expect a whiplash-quick reversal of pretty much all COVID restrictions being announced soon from Sacramento.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:09 PM

426 posts, read 178,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And I pointed out to you that whatever you may think - wrongly - about NPR doesn’t matter since the same coverage was delivered to the public all around the world by dozens of credible sources. I linked them for you to see. Do you actually think ALL of those sources are endangering the world-wide public by reporting on developments experienced in Africa?

I’m spreading misinformation by linking international news from NPR, Reuters, Bloomberg, BBC, NBC, VOA, WHO, et al?

Lol.

The research studies were performed by completely credible epidemiologists at respected institutions … and carefully reported and fact-checked editorially by dozens of media.

This isn’t about your personal opinion of NPR. Nor is it about your personal, anonymous opinions about what is dangerous misinformation. The link covered a widely distributed, well sourced, highly credible series of research reported world wide.
It’s funny all the sources you use are liberal leaning sites that pretend that they are not. When you refuse to disclose who you are, you’re not credible. I would say the same thing for right leaning sites who hide their agenda. I’m tired of so called news sources putting their finger in the air seeing where the political winds are blowing.

Again, you’re not an epidemiologist or possess any science degree. Stop making scientific claims you know nothing about. You don’t even know what you are posting about through the articles you cite.

Last edited by Soujouner; 02-02-2022 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-02-2022, 03:02 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
...but still harmful to his credibility....

No it's not. We witnessed how little the public cares about his credibility and how much status quo can keep the guy afloat when the recall failed. People are fine with him being terrible and will continue to let him have the keys to the kingdom in the next election too. The guy could drown puppies in front of an audience and the excuse-makers would find a way to rationalize what a great guy he is.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:11 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Anyone get their Biden test kits yet?

I'm thinking these are going to arrive right in time for them to be completely meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California