Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,750,981 times

Advertisements

We have one, natural gas, with labor and other parts needed our cost was $ 7,829. It offers 17 KW which is not really needed. I change the oil and filter every two years or after 200 hours.
The noise is like a V8 diesel truck with the hood open at idle. Inside the house it is barely noticeable.

If I had to do it again I'd just install a good manual transfer switch and get a portable running on propane. Unless the central air is on, I don't think we need more than 2500-3000 watts. Also in times of an outage I won't run everything at the same time.

Our big Generac supports a 3 ton central air, microwave, electric range, toaster, 3 TVs, washer - drier, desktop computer, and every light in the house easily, with power to spare to a neighbor, and all running at the same time. The thing is, we don't need all that.

If the battery goes dead you can jump start it from a car with jumper cables.

For older people or others not into technical things, the best part is that ours works automatically, no need to get up, no flipping switches in the dark, and no need to keep changing the propane tanks or filling up with gasoline.

You will have to reset all your clocks, though, - there is a 15 second delay.

Last edited by mgforshort; 06-26-2019 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 PM

19,236 posts, read 16,753,611 times
And to think these outages are going to be a regular thing. Geez, for being the 5th largest economy in the world, can't imagine what it must be like elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM

I asked the cashiers today at SaveMart, our local grocery store. It is a very nice and big store, but they don't have a backup generator. Imagine a place like this going dark for a day or longer. The frozen meats, pizzas, ice cream, all that yummy cheesecakes and cherry pies getting warm.
They said they can get a refrigerated truck and transfer the endangered species. It must be a logistical nightmare for the managers, - wait for the power to return or move everything out. Then move the stuff back when conditions become normal.

I am grateful for that company to open up again, and I hope they stay, but under these conditions some others might leave for good, or simply refuse to come back.

PG&E is considering changing their badly tarnished name to Golden State Power, something similar. Like that would do any good - lipstick on a pig.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,078,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I asked the cashiers today at SaveMart, our local grocery store. It is a very nice and big store, but they don't have a backup generator.

They should invest in some solar panels.

https://environmentamerica.org/repor...ar-superstores

Old 06-27-2019, 09:48 PM

545 posts, read 515,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
They should invest in some solar panels.

https://environmentamerica.org/repor...ar-superstores
Solar panels don't save you a dime without rebates

Only way they make financial sense

So they are not an "investment" -- just a cost shift from the utility company to the solar company

Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,078,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
Solar panels don't save you a dime without rebates
How so? With the generator you have to keep buying fuel. The solar panel works whenever the Sun is visible.

Quote:

So they are not an "investment" -- just a cost shift from the utility company to the solar company
I think WalMart would beg to differ.

https://news.walmart.com/2018/10/23/...olar-agreement

Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 PM

The following is from an e-mail we received today from PG&E. I don't understand why solar won't work unlesss.....maybe someone here can explain it to us.

"Power outages can happen at any time
Backup electric generators can be a part of any preparedness plan. Find out what you need to know about using a generator.

Generators are not connected to PG&E's grid

Backup electric generators operate as a stand-alone power source and are not connected to PG&E's power grid. Generators are typically powered by solar with back-up storage, battery, natural gas, gasoline, propane or diesel fuel.

Ready to go solar? Learn more about your options.

Solar customers, please note: During an electric power outage, your solar system will not function unless designed to work with a battery or standby generator. For more information, call your service provider.
"

Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 PM

19,236 posts, read 16,753,611 times
As usual, PG&E isn't being very clear with their words.

Solar will work during an outage but you must have everything hooked up correctly. The solar panel generates power which is sent to regulator. From the regulator, energy goes to a battery (or you can wire several to the same system to hold a lot of power (some people use marine or golf cart batteries for this because they are deep cycle). The battery will store the power and then it's sent to an inverter that changes DC to AC power which powers appliances and such. As long as you have enough storage in your battery to send power, you're fine. It becomes problematic when, in winter, there isn't enough sun to generate power to the system. That's when a gasoline generator is your only option.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:30 AM

17,357 posts, read 11,329,812 times
I can understand the concern if you have a family member that cannot tolerate high temps because of a medical condition which could be life threatening.
As for everyone else, get used to it. People have lived without AC up until the the 1960s and 1970s for the most part. You cannot have it both ways. You cannot scream with outrage and want to sue an electric company when high winds knocks over equipment and causes a fire and then scream how being without AC for a few days is going to be too uncomfortable for you. Tough up and stop complaining if you want to live in CA or else move east of the Rockies where this is a non issue.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I can understand the concern if you have a family member that cannot tolerate high temps because of a medical condition which could be life threatening.
As for everyone else, get used to it. People have lived without AC up until the the 1960s and 1970s for the most part. You cannot have it both ways. You cannot scream with outrage and want to sue an electric company when high winds knocks over equipment and causes a fire and then scream how being without AC for a few days is going to be too uncomfortable for you. Tough up and stop complaining if you want to live in CA or else move east of the Rockies where this is a non issue.
Sooooo helpful.

If APS or SRP tried this in Phoenix, there would be an armed revolt. Literally.

What my friend marino fails to realize is that old people have lost the ability to regulate their body temperature. Seems like every year in Phoenix some elderly die because they can’t (for whatever reason) get their power turned back on. The electric companies will do it even if your power has been shut off for non-payment but you have to call them and some people don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California