Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 06:28 PM

21,985 posts, read 16,746,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
well come on Tuelmutt, the subject matter in the title misled. But more telling about yourself, you seem to be having way too much fun ridiculing and laughing at others.

Wouldn't you agree, there are similarities between rogue sea life and illegals coming in by sea or as you call them, "undocumented" (illegals). There are other similarities we could draw between the illegal thugs and sea life, especially of the leech variety.

Come on, you got your rocks off by trying and trying to humiliate others for misunderstanding. Are you just another sick Gavin supporter bent on running the rest of us out because we don't want to sit back and allow the rest of CA to deteriorate like SF and the Bay Area have?

I thought you libs were supposed to be accepting and tolerate. Or is your "tolerance" meant only for illegal and criminal thugs?

If so, you just might be part of the biggest problem facing CA.
Lmfao ... no sense of humor, eh? I haven’t “ridiculed” anyone. Roll back through the posts and find / quote if you think so. The title was a bit of good natured sarcasm. And the only thing “telling” is how many folks don’t bother to read links / posts before commenting from their ideological biases.

“Don’t I agree there are similarities between illegals and sea life?” Seriously? .............. um: no. I don’t. Not ideologically, politcally, economically, biologically, culturally, nor in the fashion and footwear each respective group wears.

As for me and Gavin and me being a “lib” .... ahahaha again. Didn’t vote for Gavin. He makes my stomach turn. And I’ve never voted a straight democratic or republican ticket in my long life. Not registered to either stupid party. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I’m an old white guy, high school drop out, retired Vietnam vet military, retired blue collar self employed after that, live on a little self-built boat, no California real estate.

Sound like a “Gavin lib” to you? I’m the exact profile of the Trump base. (But I hate that sick bastard like no other politician ever.)

Here’s the thing settled: “Ideologies are poor excuses for lazy intellects.” ... Try thinking through each individual issue on its own scientific and historical merits. Apply logic. Be as objective as StarTrek Spock.

And read links and posts before commenting. Simple! Back on topic now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 08:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 7,785,137 times
OK, I'm still trying to track down the answer to my question about how zebra mussels can live in both salt water and freshwater.

Here's part of the answer: Zebra mussels originated in the Caspian Sea. You hear "Sea" and think "salt water" but the Caspian Sea is actually NOT salt water. It's an inland body of water that, while it is somewhat salty, is not salt water (I'm picturing the Salton Sea, but after reading this link, I think more like the Great Lakes: https://www.livescience.com/57999-ca...sea-facts.html)

So, it sounds like *somehow* the Zebra mussels made their way out of the Caspian Sea (probably on boats) to the ocean. Where they obviously had to hitch a ride on a sea going vessel, which means sea water again.

Did some more research and keep getting the "they came in the bilge water of sea going vessels."

I finally broke down and asked my husband, a Navy vet who's spent more than his fair share of time on ships about bilge water. He said that bilge water is not just sea water; it's garbage water and could come from many sources on the ship. Thus, it's usually LESS salty than ocean water.

Then, I came across this article ((good article here: https://www.lakescientist.com/zebra-mussels/) which clearly explains that this is true. In fact, Canada and the U.S. now require foreign vessels coming into the Great Lakes to wash out their bilges with SEA WATER because it kills the mussels.

So, mystery solved. The zebra mussels started life in Russia in an inland lake where the water was somewhat salty, but NOT sea water. Somehow, they made it into the bilge water of a ship or two or three (or hundreds), managed to cross the ocean safely, and plunked themselves off in the Great Lakes.

From there, they've been carried across the country on the hulls of freshwater boats, but they're never going to colonize the Pacific ocean because they can't survive in sea water.

Sorry if this bores you to tears, but it's been fun to learn more about these creatures and their path to and through the U.S.A. I'm going to view those warning signs at lake boat ramps with new interest next time I see one.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM

21,985 posts, read 16,746,534 times
Settled00 - read Rosie’s post above to see how it’s done ...

Kudos Rosie!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 PM

50,883 posts, read 47,788,411 times
Biology is cool

Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 PM

19,449 posts, read 17,031,106 times
Good investigative work there, Rosie. The underwater world is some fascinating stuff.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,614,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
OK, I'm still trying to track down the answer to my question about how zebra mussels can live in both salt water and freshwater.

Here's part of the answer: Zebra mussels originated in the Caspian Sea. You hear "Sea" and think "salt water" but the Caspian Sea is actually NOT salt water. It's an inland body of water that, while it is somewhat salty, is not salt water (I'm picturing the Salton Sea, but after reading this link, I think more like the Great Lakes: https://www.livescience.com/57999-ca...sea-facts.html)

So, it sounds like *somehow* the Zebra mussels made their way out of the Caspian Sea (probably on boats) to the ocean. Where they obviously had to hitch a ride on a sea going vessel, which means sea water again.

Did some more research and keep getting the "they came in the bilge water of sea going vessels."

I finally broke down and asked my husband, a Navy vet who's spent more than his fair share of time on ships about bilge water. He said that bilge water is not just sea water; it's garbage water and could come from many sources on the ship. Thus, it's usually LESS salty than ocean water.

Then, I came across this article ((good article here: https://www.lakescientist.com/zebra-mussels/) which clearly explains that this is true. In fact, Canada and the U.S. now require foreign vessels coming into the Great Lakes to wash out their bilges with SEA WATER because it kills the mussels.

So, mystery solved. The zebra mussels started life in Russia in an inland lake where the water was somewhat salty, but NOT sea water. Somehow, they made it into the bilge water of a ship or two or three (or hundreds), managed to cross the ocean safely, and plunked themselves off in the Great Lakes.

From there, they've been carried across the country on the hulls of freshwater boats, but they're never going to colonize the Pacific ocean because they can't survive in sea water.

Sorry if this bores you to tears, but it's been fun to learn more about these creatures and their path to and through the U.S.A. I'm going to view those warning signs at lake boat ramps with new interest next time I see one.
Great information.

It looks like they were stowaways on ships to get past the barrier to entry to the US.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:23 AM

33,962 posts, read 13,030,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lmfao ... no sense of humor, eh? I haven’t “ridiculed” anyone. Roll back through the posts and find / quote if you think so. The title was a bit of good natured sarcasm. And the only thing “telling” is how many folks don’t bother to read links / posts before commenting from their ideological biases.

“Don’t I agree there are similarities between illegals and sea life?” Seriously? .............. um: no. I don’t. Not ideologically, politcally, economically, biologically, culturally, nor in the fashion and footwear each respective group wears.

As for me and Gavin and me being a “lib” .... ahahaha again. Didn’t vote for Gavin. He makes my stomach turn. And I’ve never voted a straight democratic or republican ticket in my long life. Not registered to either stupid party. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I’m an old white guy, high school drop out, retired Vietnam vet military, retired blue collar self employed after that, live on a little self-built boat, no California real estate.

Sound like a “Gavin lib” to you? I’m the exact profile of the Trump base. (But I hate that sick bastard like no other politician ever.)

Here’s the thing settled: “Ideologies are poor excuses for lazy intellects.” ... Try thinking through each individual issue on its own scientific and historical merits. Apply logic. Be as objective as StarTrek Spock.

And read links and posts before commenting. Simple! Back on topic now?
That's by choice though....not because you can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California