Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:25 PM

19,448 posts, read 17,031,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I've learned a lot from reading this thread. For instance, I had no idea that this problem was so widespread in California or that dogs could be trained to sniff out Russian invaders. I guess you learn something new every day.

I found a good video on YouTube from a local TV station if anyone else is interested in seeing these dogs in action.

Quote from an official in the video: "At any given day, at any time, a boat can come through that has them on board, so we have to be alert."
That's impressive. I've heard of dogs being able to detect cancer in humans by sniffing but this one is new. Dogs really are the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 05:48 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,465,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Thanks, though I do know that this is about sealife. Though I do wish to make known that not all immigrants are hardcore liberal supporters. Whether they be human or sealife. Interestingly seafood is a big industry for immigrants. And liberal politician policy make life hard for the industry many immigrants take part in.

Liberal government would ban a lot of activities the sealife would engage in as part of their culture even if they provide them aslyum on the seashore.
C'mon, guy. Lighten up. And your beloved plastic bags pollute the waters, didya know that?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,614,259 times
Quote:
Oh, my goodness! This sounds like a real national emergency!

In all seriousness, though, those Russian mussels sound like they're the most likely to destroy American waterways. I wonder how they were able to get into America in the first place. It's incredible that they've managed to infiltrate so many waterways.

Using dogs to catch the Russians is absolutely brilliant. I know my Shepherd mix pup, Bella, will do anything for tuna fish. Turn her loose on a boatload of Russians and they'd be goners.
Any vessel that goes to a port in Russian waters can easily pick up such creatures on the hull. Once here either being cleaned or just in different waters the creatures can be let loose in US ports. It is also not impossible that they were brought to the US and released with the intent of causing harm.

Many foreign animals, insects and plants have been brought to the US, some intentionally though not necessarily with a bad intent and some just catching a ride. They cause a great deal of damage.

In the case of the Russian mussel's we will just have to "sea" what happens if your dog was let loose as he might not like those who live in a "shell".

Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 PM

11,204 posts, read 8,104,128 times
Quote:
Wait! The invading sea creatures get gift baskets? That's outrageous! What's included in the free gift baskets for jelly fish and crabs? Do the Russian zebra mussels get gift baskets too, or only the critters who arrive by sea? And how do they all survive out of water once they land?

The National Enquirer really should do a story on this. Or maybe the National Enquirer already has and it's just locked in a safe somewhere. Someone call David Pecker! Enquiring minds want to know!
Yup... and the Dems will allow those crustaceans to vote.. like they do dead people.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 7,785,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Any vessel that goes to a port in Russian waters can easily pick up such creatures on the hull. Once here either being cleaned or just in different waters the creatures can be let loose in US ports. It is also not impossible that they were brought to the US and released with the intent of causing harm.

Many foreign animals, insects and plants have been brought to the US, some intentionally though not necessarily with a bad intent and some just catching a ride. They cause a great deal of damage.

In the case of the Russian mussel's we will just have to "sea" what happens if your dog was let loose as he might not like those who live in a "shell".
Thanks for this ExPat. But here's what confuses me. Wouldn't the Russian ships need to be in fresh water to pick the mussels up on their hulls since they're fresh water creatures? Are there any fresh water Russian ports? Or maybe they can live in any type of water? Hmmm. I'm going to have to research this, and you know what that means.

As for Bella, my little Shepherd, she'd probably love cracking off shells to get to the "meat." When we take her to the beach, she's constantly picking up shells. And you should see what she does to pine cones. We call her the maligator.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this ExPat. But here's what confuses me. Wouldn't the Russian ships need to be in fresh water to pick the mussels up on their hulls since they're fresh water creatures? Are there any fresh water Russian ports? Or maybe they can live in any type of water? Hmmm. I'm going to have to research this, and you know what that means.

Well dang. Here's the answer to my questions for anyone interested from the Kansas Wildlife Department:

https://ksoutdoors.com/Fishing/Aquat...-They-Get-Here

So it sounds like they can adapt to any water, sea water or fresh. Yikes! Talk about creatures from the Black Lagoon.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,614,259 times
Quote:
Well dang. Here's the answer to my questions for anyone interested from the Kansas Wildlife Department:

https://ksoutdoors.com/Fishing/Aquat...-They-Get-Here

So it sounds like they can adapt to any water, sea water or fresh. Yikes! Talk about creatures from the Black Lagoon.
Ooh, from the site:

One of the zebra mussel’s most effective means of dispersion is travelling in bilge water of boats.

Your dog, like most dogs while having an excellent sense of smell loves really bad smells. The mussels will be one of his favorites.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,399,123 times
Well the little dickins do offer some benefits. Apparently they can filter toxins out of a lake. They cleared up Lake Michigan.....typical illegals doing what our native critters won't do. Unfortunately in the process, they also eat food that other creatures rely on and they have millions of anchor babies (literally) all qualifying for aquatic welfare.

What is the zebra mussel doing to Lake Michigan? - The ...
A zebra mussel is a living water filter, capable of processing about a quart per day. Levels of diatoms — certain single-celled alga — decreased between 82 and 91 percent in Lake Erie after zebra mussels were introduced; the Hudson River saw an 85 percent decrease in plankton after a similar invasion.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Well the little dickins do offer some benefits. Apparently they can filter toxins out of a lake. They cleared up Lake Michigan.....typical illegals doing what our native critters won't do. Unfortunately in the process, they also eat food that other creatures rely on and they have millions of anchor babies (literally) all qualifying for aquatic welfare.

What is the zebra mussel doing to Lake Michigan? - The ...
A zebra mussel is a living water filter, capable of processing about a quart per day. Levels of diatoms — certain single-celled alga — decreased between 82 and 91 percent in Lake Erie after zebra mussels were introduced; the Hudson River saw an 85 percent decrease in plankton after a similar invasion.
Janellen, that's fascinating. So, the invaders can have benefits for the places they're invading? (I grew up on the Hudson River back when it was pretty polluted, so that part was particularly interesting to me -- thanks for digging up this link).

But, those anchor babies. I suppose they have to find new places to spread out after a while. So, pluses and minuses. Just like everything in life.

I'm still trying to figure out how aquatic creatures could survive in both sea water and fresh water, as I thought it was one or the other, but, when you think about it, I suppose that's what assimilation is all about. Eventually, everything either adapts or dies.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:10 PM

914 posts, read 654,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I am having entirely too much fun reading some of the responses to this thread. Bunch of people showing their colors here highlighting their grasp of the “fake news” concept
well come on Tuelmutt, the subject matter in the title misled. But more telling about yourself, you seem to be having way too much fun ridiculing and laughing at others.

Wouldn't you agree, there are similarities between rogue sea life and illegals coming in by sea or as you call them, "undocumented" (illegals). There are other similarities we could draw between the illegal thugs and sea life, especially of the leech variety.

Come on, you got your rocks off by trying and trying to humiliate others for misunderstanding. Are you just another sick Gavin supporter bent on running the rest of us out because we don't want to sit back and allow the rest of CA to deteriorate like SF and the Bay Area have?

I thought you libs were supposed to be accepting and tolerate. Or is your "tolerance" meant only for illegal and criminal thugs?

If so, you just might be part of the biggest problem facing CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California