Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:15 PM

42 posts, read 246,403 times

Advertisements

Ok i have read TONS of posts on moving to California and have been learning the pros and cons and learning about a BUNCH of different beach towns trying to figure out my "dream beach town". It's really time for me to narrow my search down and i really need some help! Maybe my ideal beach town doesn't exist in Cali maybe it does, i dunno. So i need some help.....I'm a 26 year old female looking for a job and apartment in a very small, safe beachtown that has pretty much everything within walking distance(i won't have a car for awhile)-is that possible anywhere in California? I'm still in school so i don't have a degree yet(working on a business degree), and most my work experience is in hospitality/sales/entertainment. Is it possible for me to get a job without a degree that i could realistically live off of?? But i am looking for a roomate because i'm not counting on being able to. I don't want to live in a bad neighborhood. I'm looking for a place artsy and laidback, with a lot of young people. I'm looking for more unique shops, cafes,stores and restaurants than corporate chains, but a target would be nice, since i shop there all the time but it's not necessary. As long as i can easily get to a store for my basic essentials and basics like a bank, pharmacy, and doctors office nearby. I'm into yoga, bellydancing, acting, modeling, and music for hobbies, so if there are places i could practice those or take a class with other like minds that would be great. I like going to the movies and bookstores/library on occasion, and love hiking, biking, and tennis as well. I'm not big into bar hopping but would like a couple cool places to go to on occasion. And i REALLY don't want to live somewhere where everythting closes at 8. I'd prefer Southern California because i do act and model and think it would be easier to find jobs doing that there sometimes, but i think i'd love northern California as well, for other reasons, so i'm open to anywhere. I'm hoping to be lead to the perfect beach town for me. I've visited San Diego and Long Beach before. I loved Seal Beach and have heard many good things about it on the forums, but don't know exactly if it's for me. Is it possible to get rent $900 or lower for a 2 bedroom apt there? Is there a lot of jobs right in Seal beach and could i get to most things on foot or bike there? And is seal beach a safe place for a single female to be living and working and walking around by herself? And if anyone knows of a beach town that sounds like what i'm looking for please let me know! I am basically starting from scratch but i really want to do this! I want to be well prepared and i will be, i just want to narrow my options down to atleast 3 places. Please help! Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,512,669 times
<I'm looking for a place artsy and laidback, with a lot of young people. I'm looking for more unique shops, cafes,stores and restaurants than corporate chains, but a target would be nice, since i shop there all the time but it's not necessary. As long as i can easily get to a store for my basic essentials and basics like a bank, pharmacy, and doctors office nearby. I'm into yoga, bellydancing, acting, modeling, and music for hobbies, so if there are places i could practice those or take a class with other like minds that would be great. I like going to the movies and bookstores/library on occasion, and love hiking, biking, and tennis as well. I'm not big into bar hopping but would like a couple cool places to go to on occasion. And i REALLY don't want to live somewhere where everythting closes at 8.>

I hope someone from Cali can help you. Did you post this in those forums?
(Edit your post down to the basics if you want better responses.)

Once I read some posts about living near beaches--near LA and the surrounding area. Orange County would be wonderful but incredibly expensive.

The posters generally agreed:

--You need to have 6mo/2yrs in savings
--Ill advised for a single female w/o degree to move to this area
--Cost of living is high and 'affordable' housing is not located in good areas

If this doesn't work out and you want to try the East coast and can live w/o a beach I know of a place you might be safe and find 'some' of what you say you want.

hth

Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Default wrong forum

well i realize i posted this on the wrong forum and i have no idea how to delete it. I've tried to a million times and i'm super annoyed. So it will just have to be here.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Hey thanks for the reply takeahike. I know this is in the wrong forum so i didn't think anyone would respond but i appreciate your input. Yeah some of what you said is what i'm nervous about, but i guess i'm still quite hopeful i could work it out....but if not i could always come back to ohio where i'm from and living at now. But i'm not against living on the East Coast, maybe that will end up being more appropriate right now in my life. Though i do know a few people that live out there(California) who are offering me a place to stay, which i might do first before i decide to make it my home, i dunno yet, we'll see. But if you have any ideas about an east coast city that sounds like what i'm looking for, go ahead and tell me about it. And yes i did repost it on the California forums too. Originally thats where i thought i was posting it...oops... I just signed up on here today, so i'm just learning how to use it. I enjoy green leaving too, thats why i was reading posts on here, lol, but didn't mean to post my california questions on it. Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee11 View Post

....i have read TONS of posts on moving to California ....have been learning the pros and cons and learning about a BUNCH of different beach towns trying to figure out my "dream beach town"....

......(i won't have a car for awhile).....

I'm still in school so i don't have a degree yet(working on a business degree), ....

Is it possible for me to get a job without a degree that i could realistically live off of?? ....

...I loved Seal Beach and have heard many good things about it on the forums, but don't know exactly if it's for me. Is it possible to get rent $900 or lower for a 2 bedroom apt there?
What were some of the pros and cons you learned about?
Where are you going to school?
When will you complete your degree?
When do you plan on moving to California?
Where do you think you will find a job related to your major?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Well each city i've read about has there own pros and cons, for some it's crime, but i'm trying to narrow it down to places that don't have a big crime problem....pros: beautiful weather, beach, pretty scenery, new start
cons: depends on the city, but a few that just exists in most places there, pollution, traffic, high cost of living and i hear not a lot of good public transportation. Though i did get around from Long beach to LA and a couple beaches while visiting CA just fine, but i was with a friend and not sure how comfortable i'd be to do that alone.

I'm going to school online so that will not be an issue when relocating. I won't get my degree for about 2.5 years.

I don't have a set date to move. I want to be well prepared if i do. I just want to get as much information as i can. Narrow my choices down. Look for possible jobs, find a roomate and get an affordable apt near where i get a job. When all of that is accomplished, i'll make a date for when i have to move.

As for a job related to my major....i have no idea. Business has as wide range of choices. And i don't think when i get my degree that means i'll all of sudden be making loads of money. lol Cause thats just not how life is usually unless your major is engineering or something like that, but mine isn't. I picked business because i love business and think i'm good at it. I want my own organization later on in life and so i chose to study business. I have a better chance of getting some jobs with a degree, but i know it's not guarenteed in all cases. My major passions are music, writing, animals, and my future organization, so my job i'm looking for now has little to do with my major passions. I just want to be able to live decently and be able to pursue my passions on the side. So i hope i answered your questions. Thanks for responding to my post.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,645,889 times
You really need to just spend some time exporing, sorry.
But Santa Monica or Venice night be on your list. Very small beach cities with big time connections. Think "Three's Company"!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,512,669 times
Aimee--

I don't mean to 'Tell' you how to post or anything else but your post is difficult to read with so much FYI.

Charles said:
<What were some of the pros and cons you learned about?
Where are you going to school?
When will you complete your degree?
When do you plan on moving to California?
Where do you think you will find a job related to your major? >

I think he is asking you to be realistic.

Another poster suggested Venice Beach and Santa Monica. I think I read those forums and by spending time reading the advice given to others you may find the answers to your questions.

I would leave NOTHING to chance. Everyone needs some sort of a support network and there are those who have little integrity and some are intent on evil.

Protect yourself and your interests in every way.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,623,867 times
Your fantasy is Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara, La Jolla, Malibu. Reality could be Lawndale, Gardena, Lomita [2-3 miles from the beach & nothing like your "perfect beachtown in California."

Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 PM

ummm ok thanks takeahike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California