Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:49 AM

30 posts, read 52,885 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so I'm at a point where I'll likely be moving soon and buying property, and I'd like to live somewhere where I can get as much land as possible on a limited budget in Northern California.

I grew up in rural El Dorado county and I've lived in Grass Valley, Chico, and the Yuba/Sutter area, so I'm familiar with the north state. Now I'm looking to go somewhere possibly farther north. My job allows me to work basically anywhere in Northern California. My main concern when buying is privacy and good tree/brush cover. I don't mind putting up solar and digging a well/septic. In fact, I'd prefer that.

My budget for raw land is ~$75-100k and I'd like to get 10-20+ acres. I've seen these prices in a few different areas and right now the locations I'm considering are the Redding area around Igo/Ono, Western Tehama county, Siskiyou county near Yreka, and Lassen/Modoc counties near Susanville and Alturas. I'm also considering the foothills northeast of Oroville but I know this might be outside my price range.

Has anyone lived in any of these areas? Any other cheap parts of NorCal that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 02:15 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,664,323 times
Modoc County in and around Alturas probably has the cheapest land prices in Nor Cal. Also, check out Glenn County south of Red Bluff.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcountryer View Post
Hey guys, so I'm at a point where I'll likely be moving soon and buying property, and I'd like to live somewhere where I can get as much land as possible on a limited budget in Northern California.

I grew up in rural El Dorado county and I've lived in Grass Valley, Chico, and the Yuba/Sutter area, so I'm familiar with the north state. Now I'm looking to go somewhere possibly farther north. My job allows me to work basically anywhere in Northern California. My main concern when buying is privacy and good tree/brush cover. I don't mind putting up solar and digging a well/septic. In fact, I'd prefer that.

My budget for raw land is ~$75-100k and I'd like to get 10-20+ acres. I've seen these prices in a few different areas and right now the locations I'm considering are the Redding area around Igo/Ono, Western Tehama county, Siskiyou county near Yreka, and Lassen/Modoc counties near Susanville and Alturas. I'm also considering the foothills northeast of Oroville but I know this might be outside my price range. We live in a place where getting a 10 acre lot for $100k is easy

Has anyone lived in any of these areas? Any other cheap parts of NorCal that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Those places you listed are good choices and you could get what you wanted at the low end of your budget. But the question is begged, can you work from home? In one those spots? Strong internet requires decent power and a good connection. Where we live, due to trees, solar and satellite are out. But we have grid power and cable internet. Factors to consider.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Those places you listed are good choices and you could get what you wanted at the low end of your budget. But the question is begged, can you work from home? In one those spots? Strong internet requires decent power and a good connection. Where we live, due to trees, solar and satellite are out. But we have grid power and cable internet. Factors to consider.
I don't work from home and I don't need anything better than satellite internet.

I'm a postal worker and I likely wouldn't​ have any issue transferring to any slightly larger town like Redding, Oroville, Red Bluff, or Susanville. I just need to be within a 30-40 minute drive of a town of ~10k+.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:04 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Why not Paradise area? Decent size town with a fair amount of grocery stores, restaurants and fast food, but all of them surrounded by tall pines. Have no idea what raw land is around there though.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Why not Paradise area? Decent size town with a fair amount of grocery stores, restaurants and fast food, but all of them surrounded by tall pines. Have no idea what raw land is around there though.
Paradise is a great little place, in fact I used to play in the symphony orchestra there. But the prices for raw land are too high for me ($10-15k+ per acre) and almost all the parcels in the area are 2-3 acre lots.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:16 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Everyone says land around Clear Lake is cheap. I don't know how it compares with the other areas suggested, though. And as the wineries move in around there, the land values will rise.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Everyone says land around Clear Lake is cheap. I don't know how it compares with the other areas suggested, though. And as the wineries move in around there, the land values will rise.
Lake County is a definite consideration I forgot to mention. I also love the proximity to Mendocino Natioal Forest.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:46 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcountryer View Post
Lake County is a definite consideration I forgot to mention. I also love the proximity to Mendocino Natioal Forest.
That, and if it matters to you, it's closer to the coast and to the Bay Area; not as isolated as Lassen or Siskiyou. Let us know where you land, and how it all works out.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Would probably be cheaper in Del Norte County. But, it's booorrriiiinnnnnng! And isolated. Just moved from Crescent City. Beautiful, but way too isolated for me.

I will say, though, that the postal workers always seem to be having a good time. Now that they imprisoned the one supervisor who was stealing drugs from the mail - and burglarizing people's homes to get their drugs after learning who got them LOL.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/ja...sentenced-six/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California