Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 PM

371 posts, read 379,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Car insurance is one of those low-cost items, not noticeable unless you're a student. Income taxes, sales taxes (if you buy really expensive things), and property taxes are the true measure of COL.
Hi,

Not noticeable where? For two cars here it's costing me over $3,000 a year, that's adult drivers. I do not consider the $260 a month bill low cost and every 6 months it goes up. If my bill goes to $100 a month or less, that's a substantial savings.

I hear that a lot on the no state income tax here, people think they are getting a good deal but it the money you often gain is spent elsewhere, I know I paid high taxes in other northeastern and mid atlantic states and paid less for other things. I don't own a home so property taxes are not an issue but rents reflect highly on the rate hikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 PM

61 posts, read 61,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post

Unless you have great careers lined up that pay great wages you may want to stay put, I am looking forward to the move out there I had a good time here and will miss it but I won't miss the labor market for my field, some of the people here are also hard to deal with mainly from the tri-state area.
Do you think a salary of $120k will be hard to live on in those areas?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I been to Temecula on my last visit no place here looks like it, in Broward there is no land left just look at the map they have built out to the everglades, Sawgrass Expressway is the border of man and wild and half of Broward County is in the everglades so no building or development. Also you mentioned an area called Wellington and if you are working in Fort Lauderdale that commute would be long and not fun traffic here get's worse each year. Palm BEach county use to have more land and was not as developed last time I was up there it looked so different and sprawl like here and farm land and high crime areas out west due to severe poverty.

Also with the flat land for someone from CA it must be a hard transition? The weather here is not that bad but some people do not like it I am use to it, hurricanes when they hit are not fun and when they are like Andrew was the mass exodus out of South Florida will be like the apocalypse is coming they emergency plan is to turn 95 and the Fl turnpike into northbound lanes only and gas stations will be out of gas and lines will be long after Wilma in 2005 I got a taste of it. Unlike CA you can head east into Nevada or Arizona here you are on a penisula with no place to go but north and take 7 million people and a % who would be leaving by car place them on I5 and wonder what traffic would be like and that is only South Florida if another Cat 5 was making a swoop from the keys northbound the cone would swath over central FL and even more people would be trying to escape. I think a lot of people here live in denial and always push CA on the earthquake issue.
Were used to a commute with a drive to San Diego everyday for work but we don't want to do it if we don't have to. The crime is a big issue for me we don't really see it too much out here. I know things happen but nothing like home invasions or shootings in my area.

Flat land is not a problem for me, I really don't like hills they scare me. We have a lot of little quakes all the time but you barely feel it. I was here for the big quake in the 80's in SF felt it all the way in San Diego. I keep hearing we're due for one bigger but no one can really predict when that will happen. I will say I'm not scared to live here even after the SF one and the recent one from Mexico that we felt a few years ago. Earthquake insurance is not mandatory but I'm sure if a big one hits again they will make it mandatory just like hurricane insurance out there. I always said I would rather a warning like with hurricanes but after your evacuation discussion I'm not sure thats enough.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Earthquakes are only scary when they happen. Don't require evacuation, though if you live in an apartment building and a somewhat reasonable earthquake strikes, you may sleep 1-2 nights outside to hedge your bets on a stronger or similarly strong quake striking and bringing down the place. No evacuation, no "earth-quake proofing" your homes (that's already done in the building codes). That being said, California is due for a big one, and they do unsettle a lot of people, myself included.

The Mountains provide a nice backdrop in SoCal, and some weekend getaways. I don't know why they need adjustment, most of SoCal is hilly which can make biking cumbersome if you're not used to that. That's the only adjustment I can think you will need.

Finally Temecula is boring, stay away.
It really depends on the person. Im from New Orleans I know how to party and have a good time but I love the area. You can always drive out to do bigger things if there isn't enough to do here, which i don't mind doing. When I leave I'm happy to get back. Based on New Orleans most places in California are boring IMO. When I miss that up all night feeling I hit the 15 and head to Vegas, a couple days there and Im better but that just me. It really just depends on the person and what they are looking for.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola9grl View Post
Do you think a salary of $120k will be hard to live on in those areas?
Should not be an issue. Unless you spend a LOT. rent/Mortgage will be the biggest expense that you can control.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Should not be an issue. Unless you spend a LOT. rent/Mortgage will be the biggest expense that you can control.
Thats good to know, we don't spend a lot just the necessities.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
United Healthcare
That is who we use in CA, TX and TN

Old 03-08-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Like I said everything cost more in South Florida, I do not know how this data is compiled as I read car insurance reports which fail to mention how bad it is here to insure a car. If you want to save money, do not move to South Florida.
Yes So FL is more expensive a lot more than other areas in FL, just as Temecula is lower as to cost than other areas in CA that would be similar to So FL. I know, as I lived in Murrieta and have lived in LA, OC and SD Counties.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Carlsbad, La Jolla and Encinitas rentals are all comparable to places along the coast here and many are not as nice unless you want to up the price because South Florida often has a a zone of low income housing just west of the beach and then the burbs out west where it get's more expensive. Big difference I saw when I was out there, CA does a better job of not destroying the coast line with high rises and million dollar condos like Miami and downtown Fort Lauderdale is full of.

I never had a problem with the weather here, people say it is humid but I am use to it.
Yes the CA Coastal commission has done an excellent job with the beaches in CA compared to most of FL, though not all of it.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Earthquakes are only scary when they happen. Don't require evacuation, though if you live in an apartment building and a somewhat reasonable earthquake strikes, you may sleep 1-2 nights outside to hedge your bets on a stronger or similarly strong quake striking and bringing down the place. No evacuation, no "earth-quake proofing" your homes (that's already done in the building codes). That being said, California is due for a big one, and they do unsettle a lot of people, myself included.

The Mountains provide a nice backdrop in SoCal, and some weekend getaways. I don't know why they need adjustment, most of SoCal is hilly which can make biking cumbersome if you're not used to that. That's the only adjustment I can think you will need.

Finally Temecula is boring, stay away.
I always considered an earthquake an early wake up call.

Been near some bad ones too in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California