Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:10 AM

892 posts, read 860,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
Salaries in Florida overall are terrible, but what works in the affordable parts of Florida will not work here in South Florida, where it's no secret that many are barely scraping by with median salaries.
It's no secret my standpoint, I believe Miami has some of the highest QOL in the USA I experienced. I came here from California. OTOH, I don't deal with the job market here, my clients are back in California or NYC, and my stocks don't require me to be in any city.

I hear enough stories like you to know their is a problem here. My good friend from Los Angeles also ended up moving out here but for separate reasons - he met a girl, fell in love, she wanted to be close to her family, so he decided to move across the USA. He confided to me he was 'drowning' (now they have 3 kids) in Miami as he ended up taking a pay-cut by nearly a third. The engineering job he had in LA, he could barely find here for the longest time, and when he did it only paid something like 60k a year where in LA he was making over 150k a year.

I'm Serbian by ancestry, though I was born in Los Angeles my parents are both immigrants. So I'm close to the Serbian community wherever I go. I was shocked first to discover there are a lot of Serbs in Miami, especially Miami Beach. I was then shocked to discover they only have a partially built church. At first I thought it was disorganization but spending time with the Serbian community, it's first of all very young and second, very poor. Some families have invited me to their 'homes', and they either rent or live in tiny apartments. Very few have homes suitable to raise a family. Even the lawyer I'm friends with, his wife is also a lawyer, just rents. When I asked why he doesn't just buy, he shrugs and tells me he can't afford a house in the areas he wants to live.

There are some success stories in this community but it mostly involves being promoters for celebrities or real-estate agents, or doctors - not regular middle-class of the road trek careers.

But man this place is beautiful, it's electric, it's unlike anywhere else in the USA. I'm writing this plopped on my bed, staring through my glass balcony doors at the turquoise ocean. You see a solid turquoise water abruptly transition to solid blue somewhere ahead, probably the shallow zone is the turquoise part. I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California