Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 249,711 times

Advertisements

My cousin and I are planning on making a move from Wisconsin to somewhere on the coast. I'm interested in southern California. I read many of the threads on San Diego, which was our top choice..but most of them are negative. We're college students with somewhat low income/budgets. So what's the best area in southern cali to move to? Obviously San Diego is really exp. so now I'm looking for any other cool towns/cities that would be more in our price range.

Right now in Wisconsin my cousin and I both pay around 300-400 a month for rent. The apartment I rent in Madison WI is 950 a month for 3 bedrooms.

Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 125,983 times
Hi, what are your interests & jobs? I'm a native Southern Californian in Real Estate I might be able to help you narrow this down. Keep in mind it's alot more expensive out here! But in my opinion it's worth it.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 249,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giarod View Post
Hi, what are your interests & jobs? I'm a native Southern Californian in Real Estate I might be able to help you narrow this down. Keep in mind it's alot more expensive out here! But in my opinion it's worth it.

Well, as far as interests go, I am quite the artsy fartsy type. I majored in photography in my first year of college, before deciding to just take transfer credits and do something else down the road. Marine biology being one idea. Interests include music, art, animals, outdoor activities. I'm into a laid back lifestyle but I also enjoy the city atmosphere/nightlife. Right now both my cousin and I have part time jobs while we attend college. I work at a Walgreens, cousin works at a cafe. I understand its much more expensive to live out there than it is here in Wisconsin. I live in Madison right now however which is one of the more expensive places to live in the state. Is that helpful?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Coastal = Expensive unless you go to the isolated northern coast. Even then, its probably still a lot more than you're used to.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 AM

51 posts, read 283,859 times
If you're looking for that college atmosphere then my suggestion would be to definately look into PB (Pacific Beach) in San Diego and just outside UCSB in Santa Barbara hand down! However, as previously mentioned, its going to cost you an arm and a leg. I can assure you though, you're going to have a blast in any one of these two college towns!! You might want to consider looking for roomates to make it more affordable. You can check out ads on Craigslist.com. Good luck in your endeavor!!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Be prepared to live like a starving student and you can live anywhere! Seriously, you guys are young, single and flexible. So just look for something inland from the a coast, but not too far, and give it a go! From there you can explore all of Calif. including the more beautiful parts up north (eg - Big Sur, The High Sierra, Yosemite, Tahoe, etc...).

If I was in your place I would also consider N. Cal. Check out the Santa Cruz Mtns. such as Ben Lomond, Felton, Scotts Valley. There are many starving students in Santa Cruz. Plus if you are into photography like me you can't go wrong with closer proximity to Carmel, Big Sur, The Lost Coast and Yosemite.

Then work on learning something in school which can pay you a decent salary while you are enjoying your photography and other interests. Or try to combine your career with those interests.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 144,603 times
Default Moving as well

Hey guys, I'm actually going to pull the trigger on moving to the San Diego area in a couple months. I've been doing my research on the best place to move to in Southern California. So far it seems like the San Diego area, maybe Irvine area. I'm reading that Mira Mesa might not be the most desirable place but I don't want to be in the heart of San Diego. I'm graduating college, 23 and want to be in a place with a young atmosphere and lots to do. I do sales right now but looking for anything that pays decent. Any ideas?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truephobia View Post
Hey guys, I'm actually going to pull the trigger on moving to the San Diego area in a couple months.

I do sales right now but looking for anything that pays decent.

Any ideas?
Sell a lot of stuff.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Agree that University-Santa Barbara in Goleta is definitely laid back/fun & rents might be within your range for a very small apartment. I believe Pacific Beach/San Diego is more expensive & nothing in between is affordable unless you move inland. For $900+ you can find a place to rent in LA but it won't necessarily be very nice & tough neighborhood.

Quote:
If I was in your place I would also consider N. Cal. Check out the Santa Cruz Mtns. such as Ben Lomond, Felton, Scotts Valley. There are many starving students in Santa Cruz. Plus if you are into photography like me you can't go wrong with closer proximity to Carmel, Big Sur, The Lost Coast and Yosemite.
Haven't live in Monterey Bay Area in a long time but isn't it pretty pricey anywhere near Santa Cruz?

Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
All of CA coast towns are pricey--way pricey as you go north! The best way to find an area to live is by going and seeing it for yourself. Check out the towns, talk to the locals read the local newspaper and spend some time there. No one really knows exactly what it is you are looking for so yes, you can get ides here but I would personally never make a move without going there first. Have a few good ideas and go to CA and start checking those areas. What "I" feel is best may not be at all what you would think is best!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California