Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,275 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We currently live in Western New York and my husband just got a job in Calexico CA. I have 2 young children and want them to feel comfortable. Can someone please give me ideas of a safe reasonable place to live. We are African American and would also like to be in a place where there is some diversity.
Thanks,
Natasha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 03:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,058,222 times
Not diverse so much, actually:

White alone, percent 60.0%
Black or African American alone 0.3%
American Indian and Alaska Native 0.5%
Asian alone, percent 1.3%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone 0.1%
Two or More Races 4.2%
Hispanic or Latino 96.8%

Calexico (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 09-04-2015, 03:49 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,668,602 times
Hi Natasha,

Congrats to your husband on the job. I've traveled to the Imperial Valley on several occasions for business including Calexico. The demographics of the Imperial Valley are predominately Hispanic (Mexican) given its proximity to the U.S./Mexico border and the large agricultural sector. Calexico is a city of around 40,000 that is over 90 percent Mexican descent. It is situated opposite Mexicali on the Mexico side of the border. Mexicali was initially settled by Chinese immigrants 100 years ago and currently has one of the largest Chinese communities in Mexico.

Nevertheless, there is a small yet involved Black community in the Imperial Valley. The cities of Brawley and El Centro both have Black-elected officials on their city councils. El Centro has a large shopping center, the Imperial Valley Mall, with four major department stores (Dillard's, Macy's, JC Penney and Sears). There are other big box stores and chain restaurants located nearby. As far as a reasonable and safe place to live, I would recommend the city of Imperial just north of El Centro. Imperial has the highest median income of any city in the Imperial Valley and some nice middle-class neighborhoods.

That being said, you may experience substantial culture shock moving from western New York to Imperial County in southeastern California. Being bilingual in Spanish would be a big help in acclimating to the area. The summers are hot with 100-110+ degree temperatures on average. San Diego is located about 2 hours to the west and would offer more ethnic and cultural diversity (as well as some relief from the heat). I hope this is helpful. All the best with the move.

Last edited by sacreole; 09-04-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 09:27 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,143,867 times
I assume your husband will be working with CBP. Most of their personnel end up living in Imperial, it's the default community for them in the Valley.

There isn't really a large African American community in the valley, they are small in numbers and integrated into any community. Just look for a place that will work for you regarding prices, commutes, schools and shopping.

Personally I think Calexico is a nice place to live but it is a little chaotic with all the Mexicali shoppers and traffic.

El Centro is the government center for the county, it's more run-down but it has it's decent parts. Imperial is the adjoining community to the north of El Centro. Nothing much there other than the old town core (nothing special), the small airport and sudivisions surround all of this (these are the areas that most CBP and middle class people who want a new home live in).

There are other communities that are more rural and furthur....so I will leave it there unless you have more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California