Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 AM

6 posts, read 18,099 times

Advertisements

Can't say much about living there but I visited California about a year back and gosh, the stuff you see in MTV is real!!! ITS REAL. I've never seen so many HUMMERs with blings and gorgeous hard body babes man. It was a blast when I was there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 09:59 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,106,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiadeep View Post
Can't say much about living there but I visited California about a year back and gosh, the stuff you see in MTV is real!!! ITS REAL. I've never seen so many HUMMERs with blings and gorgeous hard body babes man. It was a blast when I was there!
I'm glad you had a great time!! I can't wait to come back home to California!!!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 14,776 times
I love it here and I'll leave with my inch-long nails dug into the dirt! I love year 'round sunshine.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 PM

777 posts, read 3,199,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadlisa View Post
I love it here and I'll leave with my inch-long nails dug into the dirt! I love year 'round sunshine.

I think a lot of folks are like you

What's really funny is I frequent the ID, MT, and WY boards, because that is where I eventually want to end up. The locals seem to want to blame Californians for all of their overpopulation, and other issues. I can tell you of all of the people I know and work with, not one single one of them wants to move to any of the states I mention, because most folks born and raised here like this weather. Me, I like it cold

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,083,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
I think a lot of folks are like you

What's really funny is I frequent the ID, MT, and WY boards, because that is where I eventually want to end up. The locals seem to want to blame Californians for all of their overpopulation, and other issues. I can tell you of all of the people I know and work with, not one single one of them wants to move to any of the states I mention, because most folks born and raised here like this weather. Me, I like it cold
Everyone needs a scapegoat, of course. For folks in the Inter-mountain West it's Californians; for Californians it's Latin Americans; for Latin Americans it's poorer or more indigenous Latin Americans ad nauseum.

But as for weather I, too, like cooler climates, and the "miracle" of Southern California is that I can have it right here! I don't have to move anywhere. People in other areas who don't know about California's microclimates often don't believe it when they hear of 30- and 40-degree differences within 10 or 15 miles.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM

43 posts, read 189,855 times
I love Southern California. I grew up in Orange County, lived in Texas for four years in college, and then moved back as quickly as possible to L.A.

I love so many parts of California, especially the central Coast and the Eastern Sierras. Of course, I'm a city boy, so I also love LA, and really enjoy SD and SF.

You can't beat the variety that California offers. The best thing for me is the variety of culture, viewpoints, opinions, and the open-mindedness that I encounter. If you are gay (as I am), that stuff is pretty important (and even if you're not gay, that can be important too ).

For those complaining about high housing prices, well duh! So many people want to live here! It's not a bad thing!

For the alternate view of what could be, check out the Michigan forums, and the tales of people sending the mortgage bankers their keys to their homes.

I'll take California, thanks!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:39 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,951,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
There's no culture out here.
Absurd. You can't see with your eyes closed!

East Coaster here, I have to pipe in: SoCal has way culture; I cannot believe I'm hearing this!

What I think you meant to say is that you do not identify with the culture of Southern California.

You have all kinds of culture, you simply cannot deny the beach culture you have. When I think SoCal, I think nature. Not to mention the Sublime-Chili Pepper flavor of living, illegals, illegal crossing signs, no vamos! Costa Mesa, LBC, the OB, Wahoo Tacos, In-n-Out, surfers, palm trees, board walks, volley ball, girls in roller skates, guys on skate boards, bikini's, fishing piers, surfers, fishing, lil spanish churches on a hill, blue water & fair skies. Sub-tropical paradise. Boats and more boats, hiking, outdoor adventures in mountains valleys and across desert planes. And your most famous export: tweakers! Christ! You got the culture, trust me. More so than most places I've travelled.

And for any who think that a $50K salary will buy you affordable housing, you're joking yourself. Move to Montana or the Dakotos, maybe. You will not find affordable housing in any major city with a 50K salary; $150K for a house is laughable. $150K for a house in a quasi neighborhood, sure. $150K in the burbs, okay. But great schools, no graffatti, plenty of parking in a no crime area of the city for $150,000; you're living in make-believe. I know home owners in NYC, Philly, B'more & DC and can tell you that no matter, $150K for a home isnt happening, East Coast or West, just is not reality. Am sorry.

San Diego! You will love me!
mossomo

Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMan View Post
For those complaining about high housing prices, well duh! So many people want to live here! It's not a bad thing!
Yes, everyone should mortgage themselves up to their eyeballs, work two jobs, shop at yard sales, and drive beaters just to afford a 40 year old house in SoCal.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM

43 posts, read 189,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, everyone should mortgage themselves up to their eyeballs, work two jobs, shop at yard sales, and drive beaters just to afford a 40 year old house in SoCal.
Not saying that. Obviously there are people who do. Whether or not they find it "worth it", well that is up to them.

But just because that may be your situation does not mean that everyone else is in the same boat.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM

48 posts, read 103,091 times
I actually live in Seattle and am moving to Southern California when I finish my PhD. The cost of living isn't that much different here from there, although the calculators say it is. The median home price in Seattle is over $440k as of April of this year, whereas the median home price in Southern California only $385k. Everything else seems to be about similar from the data I can gather except for maybe car insurance. Average income is also much lower here than in SoCa, only about 45-50k versus over 60k. Additionally, if you are thinking about buying a house, you'll have to drop your square footage demands. The houses here are relatively small, less than 2000 sq on average. A price per square feet comparison shows that Seattle and Southern California are just about equal. Also, it's very rare that a Seattle home actually has a yard and the Seattle schools are horrible. Add this to needing to make over 100k to buy a home (only about 10% of the population makes enough to buy a home) and the fact that it is overcast for about 7 months out of the year. It's really a crap shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California