Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times

Advertisements

I did some more checking, and discovered a small city (town?) about 35 miles from Redding, called Shingletown. It would be possible for me to live there and commute to Redding for work. I don't know if I'd have to take a cut in pay, though... and I'd probably have to live in a shack! At least Shingletown is at 3,489 feet, so it's probably cooler. Yea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 05:46 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
At least Shingletown is at 3,489 feet, so it's probably cooler. Yea!
At that elevation the high temps might be about 10 degrees lower than in Redding. In other words, HOT, but not as hot and you'd be close to higher elevations for escape. I've never been up that road toward Lassen, but I've been to Whiskeytown and Weaverville and other places around there. It's a nice area, to be sure.

One other thing you'd like about being higher up from the valley floor is that you'd be above the winter fog. I don't think they get much of it in Redding but on those cold winter days when there's no air movement and the valley is cloaked in a chilly fog, you'd most likely be above it. And, like you hinted, you would PAY for that. I'm guessing the prices are higher in Shingletown because of the benefits you listed.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,817 times
Shingletown is a collection of homes, not really a town,, but there used to be a great bakery there. Shingletown was long a community of loggers and retired people, not fancy.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:32 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
Default Thank you, GBG!

I appreciate your input. Since you're familiar with that area, is there a town you'd recommend that would be relatively close to either Redding or Chico, yet not *in* the valley itself? I'm trying to find a way to make this a "five years or less" plan, instead of "when I retire in twenty-seven years!" plan.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,399,512 times
Default Alternative to Shingletown

Sandyco, If you're still checking this thread, consider the town of Shasta, (not to be confused with Shasta Lake City or Mount Shasta). It's to the west of Redding in the foothills, only about 10 miles from town. It's only a few hundred feet higher in elevation, so the temperature relief really won't be significant. However, the drive to town, and therefore work will be much shorter than Shingletown, and on a general level the westside of Redding is considered a be slightly more desireable than the eastside.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 PM

23 posts, read 97,043 times
Default Santa Barbara

Dear Friend,

I am sure you have read the posts on why not to move to Santa Barbara, CA. Well here are reasons why you should consider it. To give you a brief background, I recently moved from the East Coast (grew-up in Boca Raton) however I lived in Wash, DC (most recent), NYC, and London and have to tell you that Santa Barbara is probably one of the more comfortable places to live. Yes it is expensive to purchase property but most people realize that this is the cost of living in paradise (and a minor compromise). The weather is perfect (38-75 winter, 55-95 summer with little humidity). There is hardly any crime, the people are educated (most of them), and there is a ton of arts/entertainment, as well as outdoor things to do. I am not wealthy (young professional that makes less than 100k, year) however I realized a long time ago that the key to happiness is not owning property.
If it is you will require a trust fund or a large bank account to purchase a house here (1 million to start).

One more thing, I forgot to mention that the school system in SB is top notch!

Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
If I were to relocate within California, I'd probably be in the north somewhere, north of Redding. I drove from Reno to Salem, OR on vacation recently, and I loved how green and beautiful north northern CA is! I read somewhere that California is actually 30% forest, but the majority of that is up near the Oregon border. I'd like to investigate Susanville, Mt. Shasta, Yreka, etc. Of course, I probably won't be able to move to any of these place until I retire unless I suddenly become independently wealthy. Guess I need to start playing The Lotto!
I don't know why you think that, Mt Shasta and Yreka are among the cheapest places to live in California. I'm going over to Mt Shasta City tomorrow to try to rent an apartmet, which is going for $475 electricity included - try finding that kind of price elsewhere in this state. Median home prices are something like $230,000 iirc, but there are decent places much less expensive than that.

I only went through Susanville once on a gold-panning trip, it seemed nice enough and had a good pizza place, nice scenery, lots of float alongside the river.

However there is plenty of snow in the winter. There are banks here where you could make enough of a living to get by. Other towns out of the I5 corridor/valley are Weaverville, Happy Camp, and Paradise. Along with Quincy, these are very small isolated, inbred towns .... you can't just waltz into them and expect acceptance, nor is there much to do aside from churches or bars.

Mt Shasta, Yreka, and Arcata are more accepting of outsiders.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 PM

318 posts, read 1,316,946 times
Quote:
I appreciate your input. Since you're familiar with that area, is there a town you'd recommend that would be relatively close to either Redding or Chico, yet not *in* the valley itself? I'm trying to find a way to make this a "five years or less" plan, instead of "when I retire in twenty-seven years!" plan.
Keyword here was Chico...Have you ever thought of Paradise, CA. It is up a mountain called Black Butte. My sister lives there and all her kids. It is about 30 minutes or less from Chico. It is higher elevation...in fact it sometimes gets snow and you have to let your water drip so the pipes don't freeze. It is beautiful with lots of pines and views. Mostly retired folks and not a whole lot of work locally. Most folks commute to Chico. Which has a pretty well known college. My friends daughter goes there for nursing or did. He also bought a home in paradise...a second home for his daughter. They go there for a retreat.

Just thought I would mention it.

Izzy

Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,755 times
Default Shingletown is a nice place.

I just wanted to give some input about Shingletown. I lived there my whole life until I was almost 21. Its nice during the summer because it is not as hot as Redding. There are many surrounding lakes, rivers and swimming holes. Spring and fall are gorgeous. Winter can be bad, so make sure you have 4 wheel drive. Lassen volcanic national park is about 20 miles away. Fishing is great, many places to go camping and such. If you are a nature person and dont mind commuting to work (if you plan to work in Redding) it's a great place. The people are friendly and you will get to know everyone quickly. I never really appreciated Shingletown until I left for the military. I miss it more than ever! Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:36 PM

144 posts, read 638,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Other towns out of the I5 corridor/valley are Weaverville, Happy Camp, and Paradise. Along with Quincy, these are very small isolated, inbred towns .... you can't just waltz into them and expect acceptance, nor is there much to do aside from churches or bars.

Mt Shasta, Yreka, and Arcata are more accepting of outsiders.

I've been to and through those towns. Happy Camp is in the absolute middle of nowhere. That drive along the CA/OR border from 101 to 5 is gorgeous, but scary as hell too. I wouldn't want my truck to break down on that stretch.

Other than that, the whole NW corner of CA is beautiful. I spent last summer working in Crescent City and got to devour the north coast. My camera was working overtime up there. However, along with being cheap to live, it's also a very economically depressed place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California