Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where could you also be happy, other than cali?
New England 4 8.00%
Mid-Atlantic 1 2.00%
NYC 3 6.00%
Washington State 5 10.00%
Oregon 6 12.00%
Texas 6 12.00%
Midwest 6 12.00%
Southern Europe 3 6.00%
Central Europe 1 2.00%
Northern Europe 0 0%
Australia 8 16.00%
Arizona 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:21 PM

84 posts, read 112,925 times

Advertisements

For me I think it can be divided up into several categories:

Geography: There's simply nowhere like California's variety of mountains, rolling hills, rain forest, beaches, deserts, etc. You can have low tree forests, redwood forests, desert, rolling wheat colored grassy hills, green mountains, and rocky mountains all within 15 miles. It's like being in different parts of the world, just over the hill. The beaches of norcal, rocky, and dramatic, the beaches of socal, soft and white sand, napa, yosemite, death valley, joshua tree, and on and on the marvels. Yes, Washington State and Oregon both compare with the geographical variations, but with less awesome beaches.

Climate: need i explain?

Social: people are super open, usually friendly, open-minded and adventurous. Absolutely anything can happen on a night out in SF or LA. People generally don't give a **** whether you are black, white, latino, gay, straight, promiscuous, weird, quirky, etc. It's just so awesome socially... only maybe parts of Europe could compare imo.

Attitude/outlook: people are dreamers, hungry, and entrepreneurial. Where I'm from nobody believes you can do a thing, and if you do, it's because you did great in school and went to Harvard, then you might be a success in their mind. In cali, anyone believes they can make it, and people are so less judgmental about alma maters and your income level and where you grew up. People dare to be great in Cali, and take the risks to be that.

Economic: Worlds: software hub, tech hardware hub, biotech hub, entertainment hub. Aerospace and engineering are huge, it's the start-up mecca of the universe. 4 of the world's 10 most valuable companies are in Cali. There is something for everyone.

Cities: LA, SD, SF, SB, Berkeley, there's just so many cool and unique cities in Cali. SF and LA are undoubtedly world-class major cities to me. So dynamic and cool and world-changing.

Anyone else agree, disagree?

I can see leaving Cali for Oregon or Washington. Or if you are from crappy areas of Cali in desert, druggy areas I can understand you not loving where you live. But if you are anywhere from SLO, SB, OC, SD, SF, SJ, Napa, East Bay, Marin, Monterey, etc. could you really leave the west coast and be happy? If so, where could you be happy? Could you be happy moving to the east coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Where is Nevada or Idaho or New Mexico, etc...??? Your poll choices don't make any sense.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:14 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
California is very overrated. Homeless, poverty, drought, expensive rent/real estate, buildings stuck in the 1970s, high taxes, fees, gas, high crime, horrible roads, wildfires, anywhere inland is brown, extreme politics, etc. You should have made your poll multiple choices. I lived in San Francisco for a total of 7 years. Paid cash for my condo there as well.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM

118 posts, read 141,382 times
Never thought I would until I got up and moved to New England almost a year ago. I miss home but am adjusting here pretty well. There are pros and cons everywhere, you just gotta make the best of it.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:53 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Cali?

Old 12-15-2018, 12:16 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piffler View Post
Never thought I would until I got up and moved to New England almost a year ago. I miss home but am adjusting here pretty well. There are pros and cons everywhere, you just gotta make the best of it.

I've only lived outside of California once - Des Moines, Iowa. Most people think it would be terribly boring, like a cornfield with stop lights, but I enjoyed it. Very nice place - cities in California could learn a lot from there. Sometimes you need to shake your life up a bit to keep things interesting.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:24 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
I'm a surfer and outdoorsman like it. Obviously it isn't without it's flaws. My main concern here is traffic which makes day to day life difficult.

The high cost of housing bothers me but I spend very little time in my house (I work, surf a lot, hike etc) so it doesn't bother me as much. Also the wages are high which partially offsets this (though not totally).

I chose Australia. I lived there for 6 months and loved it. It's hard to emigrate to but is frankly better than the US in most metrics. Where I lived Sydney had good weather and some decent surf breaks as well.

I'll probably retire to coastal Mexico though. My money will go farther but it's a fairly civilized area with good food and decent infastructure. I also speak some Spanish and feel comfortable in Mexico.

I've also lived in the Northeast and Southeastern US. I like NYC for visiting but really disliked living in the Northeast as I found it full of miserable people, expensive (with lower wages than CA), cold and boring. I liked living in Charleston SC as well but prefer CA due to better career opportunities, family and better surfing of course :-)

Old 12-15-2018, 12:42 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Australia!

Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Living where we live in eastern CA we have none of the issues found in that 2% of CA that is called greater LA/IE/OC, The Bay Area, San Diego or Sacramento. We have zero traffic, clean air, low crime, friendly people and a demographic that suits us. Beautiful area nice climate-four seasons. Moderate COL affordable housing. Why leave?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:03 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Living where we live in eastern CA we have none of the issues found in that 2% of CA that is called greater LA/IE/OC, The Bay Area, San Diego or Sacramento. We have zero traffic, clean air, low crime, friendly people and a demographic that suits us. Beautiful area nice climate-four seasons. Moderate COL affordable housing. Why leave?
Ok. You guys can stay. Everybody else has to move to Texas!

I’ll stay behind to .... etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California