Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,348 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'm a 20 year old college student and I plan to move to California after my graduation. I'm a Sophomore at University of Memphis majoring in Criminal Justice and Film & Video Production. I currently live in Memphis, TN and I know California is much expensive than Memphis, which means I will have to save a lot of Money.

I will be in the U.S. Army when I move and want to know will that help out a lot with expenses. I also plan on going to school for my Master's Degree in Film & Video Production. What are some great colleges in California with Film & Video program.

How much is the cost of living in California. What are the best neighborhoods in California to live in. I would love to live in Los Angeles because of the various numbers of movie production companies there. I would love to live somewhere safe but not so high rent. My limit on rent would probably be $1,500 per month. Where is the closes Military base to Los Angeles. I'm very big on diverse. I would love to live in a very diverse neighborhood and very nice neighbors.

I also know college is very expensive so will I be considered a resident when I move there because I know instate tuition is cheaper than out of state tuition. I love big colleges with greek organizations. I'm really thinking about UCLA.

I would also like to know what you think about California.

Thank You,
csmith58
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,877,852 times
Cost of living varies. You can look up the UC system online to find out where the film & vid production programs are. San Francisco is still a center for film production, too. You can Google military bases in CA, to find out locations. For $1500/mo., you can get a 1-bedroom apt. in Berkeley/Oakland, even a 2-br. with luck. In SF you can get a 1-br. on the edge of town, near the beach, or a large room with private bath, or a studio.

Your main challenge will be qualifying for in-state university tuition. You'll have to live in CA and prove residency for a couple of years in order to do that. How do you know what your limit for housing will be? You'd qualify for university housing if you're a student. There are a variety of subsidized options.

It sounds like you need to do a lot more research and considering of your options before you can make a move, or project what your living expenses will be. It's a big project. How were you planning to pay tuition for your MA program?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,348 times
Thank You for respond. Since I will be in the military, They will pay for my college and the military also will pay me more money for living expenses. I have though about living on campus because its cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry about rent.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,170,819 times
I hope you don't think you'll plan a life around the army in L.A.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 PM

21,811 posts, read 16,483,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith58 View Post
Thank You for respond. Since I will be in the military, They will pay for my college and the military also will pay me more money for living expenses. I have though about living on campus because its cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry about rent.
Ok, I'll bite: what makes you think:
a) you will be in the military
b) they will pay for your college
c) the military will let you pick where you want to live
d) there are any Army bases near LA

I ask because I did seven years in the service and I don't recognize the pattern.
You have to qualify to get in, and it is not real open these days like it was when they needed fresh meat to dangle in front of various enemies. How do you know you can get accepted?

They do often pay for certain educational pursuits, particularly if tied to re-enlistment programs relevant to specialty.

They do sometimes allow a recruit or re-enlistment candidate to select a preferred duty station for one tour - if you have a specialty they want to recruit you for bad enough. But they also take those assignments away after a few years.

And the only Army base in southern California anymore is Fort Irwin, near three hours from LA.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,793,221 times
What he said^

Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,433,474 times
Isn't proof of residency one year for in-state tuition rates?

That's a huge blow to young dreamers if they bumped it up to 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California