Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,036,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Very beautiful......Thankyou......
Hawk J ... hope that hit's the spot, because I've got a few more that are too "close" for posting ...

Last September, when I stayed in Crescent City, the first rain hit the area and it poured like crazy maybe 1pm. It cleared by about 5pm and when I drove into Jedediah Smith Redwoods adjacent, caught the afterward photo session following a wedding in Stout Grove.

First redwood wedding I've ever encountered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:43 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,625,594 times
To the OP, I see you mentioned Reno and you also mentioned loving the outdoors. The Reno/Tahoe area is a fantastic place for outdoor activity (I am from there). Let me know if you want more information about that.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 PM

57 posts, read 182,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
To the OP, I see you mentioned Reno and you also mentioned loving the outdoors. The Reno/Tahoe area is a fantastic place for outdoor activity (I am from there). Let me know if you want more information about that.
absolutely, we are definitely interested in reno or carson city area, i've heard reno has a crime problem which kinda figures for a gambling town, i guess it depends where you live, it is intriguing because it's near the mountains, just 3.5 hrs from s.f. plus monterey not much further, we also like the eureka area, reno/tahoe area looks affordable. any info you have would be great, thanks

Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
absolutely, we are definitely interested in reno or carson city area, i've heard reno has a crime problem which kinda figures for a gambling town, i guess it depends where you live, it is intriguing because it's near the mountains, just 3.5 hrs from s.f. plus monterey not much further, we also like the eureka area, reno/tahoe area looks affordable. any info you have would be great, thanks
Ok, I'm a bit busy this weekend but I'll post here on Monday!

Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'm a bit busy this weekend but I'll post here on Monday!

no hurry, we may have an opportunity in crescent city soon but it's not a sure thing, then our lease is up in july so we're just scouting out places if cc don't work out and the reno area looked interesting. thx

Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Just so you know, I lived in Reno from the age of 12 to 22 and just moved to California in August. So a lot of my view does come from my experience as a younger person, having been mostly raised there.

Here's the deal about the Reno-Tahoe area:

You are right. Reno is a mountain town. Technically it is located in the high desert - this means cold winters and hot summers. It has a reputation for gambling, of course, but the crime rate is actually fairly low when you keep in mind that the metro area is half a million residents. With the exception of some of the random shootings lately, most areas are safe.

Reno and Tahoe are two of the best places to live if you love the outdoors. As you might know, Reno is surrounded by ski resorts. There are 18 resorts within an hour and a half drive of the airport. I saw in the first post that you have 3-year-old boys. If you move to Reno and love the outdoors, I encourage getting them into skiing/snowboarding because that is a big deal around there. Sky Tavern is a great program for teaching kids to ski. I learned to ski there.

There are also many hiking trails in the area. You can read about some of them at the About Reno website or at Trails.com. You can bike many of those trails as well.

Other than outdoors, Reno is really growing in culture. Just south of downtown is a district called Midtown, which features restaurants, art and music. You can read more about the area here.

Reno's also a college town, with the University of Nevada there. That's the school I went to. It's a great university and features a lot of fun events throughout the year, including a bunch of kid-friendly stuff.

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you how good the elementary schools are, but I do know some of the high schools have good reputations. Galena High School, in the south of town, offers several Advanced Placement (AP) classes and so does Reno High School. Those two schools are probably the best in town. Wooster High School has an International Baccalaureate program. Also, there are several private Catholic schools, elementary to high school, and I hear they are pretty good so you can choose that route.

Any big stores you could possibly need are in Reno: Walmart, Target, Costco, etc. And there's Trader Joe's and Whole Foods too. Reno also has an outlet mall in the south and a normal-sized mall near the airport.

Now, for the not-so-great stuff:

Downtown Reno is fun in the day but seedy at night. I didn't like hanging around there.

Nevada has a meth problem overall. It's easy to pick out tweakers in the bad areas. The bad areas are centered in Fourth Street around downtown, Neil Road in the middle of the town, and neighborhoods on Oddie Boulevard near Highway 395/580. But I wouldn't say drugs are rampant.

Reno also has a reputation for housing many alcoholics. Wine Walks and beer crawls happen every month downtown and can be fun, but it also gives a lot of people an excuse to be drunk in the middle of the day.

Lastly, for me personally, the weather is not ideal. I know some people love it, but I get cold easily and hated it. Winter lasts most of the year and it can be very cold and dry, and in the last few winters there hasn't been much snow so skiing hasn't been the greatest.
Summer can be very hot and dry. It's dry overall. Fall and spring last about a week. I had bad allergies in Reno too, so that complicated things.

I also can't really weigh in on the real estate market, but rentals are affordable even in nice areas, and I don't think house prices are really that high either. (Again, I am 22 so I don't even really know the process of evaluating whether a house is expensive or not)

As for Tahoe: Tahoe is beautiful and amazing. There are so many things to see and do - Emerald Bay, Vikingsholm, many hiking trails and a lot of skiing. But it is EXPENSIVE, especially in Incline Village, and most of the towns are small. South Lake Tahoe is the most affordable city and the biggest, but still small. Most Tahoe residents go over the hill to Reno to do major shopping. Tahoe also gets dumped on in the winter. Some people love that...not me. In the summer, it is overrun by tourists.

There's my quick rundown - let me know if you need more info on other things, not related to real estate, lol.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,036,475 times
Quote:
Just so you know, I lived in Reno from the age of 12 to 22 and just moved to California in August. So a lot of my view does come from my experience as a younger person, having been mostly raised there.

SNIP

There's my quick rundown - let me know if you need more info on other things, not related to real estate, lol.
Since the OP is about Crescent City, under the California heading, what other particular highlights do you like about the city within the discussion?

Or don't like for that matter?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:

You are right. Reno is a mountain town. Technically it is located in the high desert - this means cold winters and hot summers. It has a reputation for gambling, of course, but the crime rate is actually fairly low when you keep in mind that the metro area is half a million residents. With the exception of some of the random shootings lately, most areas are safe.

Reno and Tahoe are two of the best places to live if you love the outdoors. As you might know, Reno is surrounded by ski resorts. There are 18 resorts within an hour and a half drive of the airport. I saw in the first post that you have 3-year-old boys. If you move to Reno and love the outdoors, I encourage getting them into skiing/snowboarding because that is a big deal around there. Sky Tavern is a great program for teaching kids to ski. I learned to ski there.

There are also many hiking trails in the area. You can read about some of them at the About Reno website or at Trails.com. You can bike many of those trails as well.

Other than outdoors, Reno is really growing in culture. Just south of downtown is a district called Midtown, which features restaurants, art and music. You can read more about the area here.

Reno's also a college town, with the University of Nevada there. That's the school I went to. It's a great university and features a lot of fun events throughout the year, including a bunch of kid-friendly stuff.

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you how good the elementary schools are, but I do know some of the high schools have good reputations. Galena High School, in the south of town, offers several Advanced Placement (AP) classes and so does Reno High School. Those two schools are probably the best in town. Wooster High School has an International Baccalaureate program. Also, there are several private Catholic schools, elementary to high school, and I hear they are pretty good so you can choose that route.

Any big stores you could possibly need are in Reno: Walmart, Target, Costco, etc. And there's Trader Joe's and Whole Foods too. Reno also has an outlet mall in the south and a normal-sized mall near the airport.

Now, for the not-so-great stuff:

Downtown Reno is fun in the day but seedy at night. I didn't like hanging around there.

Nevada has a meth problem overall. It's easy to pick out tweakers in the bad areas. The bad areas are centered in Fourth Street around downtown, Neil Road in the middle of the town, and neighborhoods on Oddie Boulevard near Highway 395/580. But I wouldn't say drugs are rampant.

Reno also has a reputation for housing many alcoholics. Wine Walks and beer crawls happen every month downtown and can be fun, but it also gives a lot of people an excuse to be drunk in the middle of the day.

Lastly, for me personally, the weather is not ideal. I know some people love it, but I get cold easily and hated it. Winter lasts most of the year and it can be very cold and dry, and in the last few winters there hasn't been much snow so skiing hasn't been the greatest.
Summer can be very hot and dry. It's dry overall. Fall and spring last about a week. I had bad allergies in Reno too, so that complicated things.

I also can't really weigh in on the real estate market, but rentals are affordable even in nice areas, and I don't think house prices are really that high either. (Again, I am 22 so I don't even really know the process of evaluating whether a house is expensive or not)

As for Tahoe: Tahoe is beautiful and amazing. There are so many things to see and do - Emerald Bay, Vikingsholm, many hiking trails and a lot of skiing. But it is EXPENSIVE, especially in Incline Village, and most of the towns are small. South Lake Tahoe is the most affordable city and the biggest, but still small. Most Tahoe residents go over the hill to Reno to do major shopping. Tahoe also gets dumped on in the winter. Some people love that...not me. In the summer, it is overrun by tourists.

Thanks very much savoytruffle, my friends fantasy baseball team name is "savoy special" which was robert redford's bat after "wonderboy" broke in the movie "the natural". anyway, thanks for all the info and good luck to you.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,694 times
Those are all superb photos, and that shot of the pier is almost a carbon copy of the Manhattan Beach pier that's a mere 10-minute walk from a legendary breakfast joint entitled Uncle Bill's Pancake House, a mere 10 minutes south of LAX.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,505 times
Default Late to the party...

I know this thread is from a while ago , but I figured I'd throw my two cents in. I've been all up and down the west coast in all three states. I've lived in two of them. I've been to California three times this year so maybe my small opinion can help if you haven't already moved or if someone else is considering Crescent City.

Crescent City is beautiful to start. The battery point lighthouse is one of the best views anywhere on the left coast. Especially when the flowers are blooming. The town is very small. I know you said you wanted small town , but going from Portland to a town of this size is going to be a massive culture shock. Last time I was down there I had just driven down to the redwoods and about an hour later on my way back up there was a landslide that took out the road to Crescent. We had to wait a couple hours for them to clear a lane for us to get back up. At a time like that it makes you feel even more isolated in that area. And from what I hear from the locals that seems to be common on that road. If you look up anything about this city you'll hear about drugs. Unfortunately that seems to be true for mostly any area now. I lived in a small Idaho town which was very religious and drugs were rampant. I noticed if you don't do drugs yourself you avoid most of that problem. Besides the occasional tweaker or theft. This is an unavoidable problem mostly anywhere. The weather is worse than Portland. It isn't just rain. It's Gale force gusts and sometimes icy cold. Personally I like watching sea storms so this is a plus for me. Have you considered Coos Bay/North Bend Oregon? It's a much larger area and closer to a lot of what you're used to. Also a beautiful area. I am sure more healthcare options too if that is your profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California