Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 PM

57 posts, read 182,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Wow - checked the real estate prices and its pretty low for a seaside town in California. I've been through there a couple times, but have never stopped. Might have to check it out for a retirement option some day. Getting tired of dirty Sacto Valley air.

yes, the cost of living is'nt bad in cc from what i've been able to gather. any other coastal area is much more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Has no one mentioned the rather extreme rainfall in CC? It's almost the rainiest place along a rainy coast.

very true, i noticed that also and it seems that it must rain harder in cc but for less days than here in portland, a few websites state that cc has about 40 less precip days per year on average than portland but that cc gets around 66-70 inches of rain versus roughly 40 in portland, so yes lots of rain but also more sun and less extreme for temperatures. the weather in cc overall sounds good to me but maybe not so much for rain haters.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,555,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
thanks very much for all the info, i'll be looking at all the links, funny how you're in redding because along with cc and reno area, we are also interested in redding, although some of the posts i've read seem to indicate problems with drug addicts and crime there. i know that most all cities have there share of these problems but what's you're opinion since you know redding? thanks again
I actually really like Redding. I've only been here since November 4th, though. But, I can give you my take so far.

There are a lot of homeless folk that walk around, hang around downtown. I haven't had any problems with them. I have seen a few that are screaming at imagined voices, that quickly walk down the street, though, lol! I've never found them to be scary. In fact, I have the friendliest dog on the planet, and when I walk her downtown and we go by a homeless person, I say hello and we usually end up chatting for a half a minute and they pet my dog sometimes, and off we both go. They seem to mind their own business.

They hang around downtown because there is a mission downtown that feeds them, and I think they can sleep there, too.

But, I don't see them everywhere else around town.

What I really like about Redding is that it's a kind of blend of the Pacific Northwest (I lived in WA for 18 years) and California. It's hilly and there are a lot of trees, from evergreen to deciduous to palm trees. You can see Mt Shasta, so you can see a snow covered mountain, while standing on a palm tree lined street. I just love it.

Lots of recreation. I'm not a big outdoor sport kind of person, but I take my dog to an open area park where dogs are allowed off leash that is right on the Sacramento River. So pretty. Supposed to be great fishing here.

I've found people in Redding to be really friendly. The people are more blue collar types, in general. Though, I see nicely dressed professionals often, too, especially because there is the Cascade Theater across the street from my apt, where events and concerts are held. And across the street next to the theater is a steakhouse, and downstairs below my apt is a nice wine bar. So, these businesses are frequented by people dressing up to go out.

There are often children's events/concerts at the Cascade theater, too, and I'll see school kids come on buses during the day, as well as families going to the theater at night. There's even a ballet studio for kids on up on my street just a few doors down from my bldg. So, people come downtown to frequent nice establishments, and with their families, too, without any problems - even though there are random homeless people also walking down the street.

Away from downtown, I find the town to be nice and most of the neighborhoods I've seen so far are well taken care of, and you don't see the homeless folk out in the neighborhoods - that I've seen.

There is a ton of shopping in Redding. Everything from Costco to Trader Joes, to Macy's, Wal-Mart, Target, Penney's...on and on.

It feels like a really big town to me, but not a super congested town/city like you find in the SF Bay Area. It's just right to me. I don't like really small towns, so I want a town big enough where I can go places and nobody knows me. I find that relaxing and freeing, whereas the small towns I lived in, I felt like I lived in a fish bowl.

The size of the town is small enough, though, that there are very short or no waiting lines wherever I go - including the Social Security office, the city utility office, the health clinic. After dealing with the lines and waits in the SF Bay Area, this is absolute heaven!

I went into the community health center to see about getting a prescription filled, and was told to sign in. I could hear the nurses behind the counter talking about how "slammed" they were. The waiting room was half full lol! So, "slammed" in Redding is nothing like "slammed" in San Jose.

Also, there are good health care options here, an emergency room 2 blocks away, etc.

Weather-wise the summers are exceptionally hot here. That will be a challenge for me. We did get a dusting of snow in November that stayed on the ground a few days. Normally, it rains a lot in the winter, I've been told, but not so far this year.

The real estate and rental prices are really affordable compared to the Bay Area or Sacramento or even Chico.

I have looked around Red Bluff and Anderson, both south of Redding. They are too small for me. Redding is just right - for me.

The schools don't look to be the best overall, but there are a few that appear to be pretty good:

GreatSchools.org Search: redding

As far as colleges, Chico would be the closest state college, I'm pretty sure.

I'll add some links for you to check out when you have time. It's nice that you have so many options to choose from!

https://www.google.com/search?q=redd...w=1280&bih=670

Cascade Theatre - HOME

Turtle Bay Exploration Park: Human. Nature. | Redding, CA

craigslist: redding classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Redding Recreation, Special Events

I noticed your name is Eagle fan. The birds or the band lol? We have resident bald eagles in town, too:

http://www.turtlebay.org/eaglecam

Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,670,389 times
I love the Jedediah Smith Redwoods close to CC......

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park

https://www.google.com/#q=smith+redwoods+state+park

Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,035,871 times
Quote:
thanks for the picture, that looks fun for our kids. i agree with fine-tuning our address if we move there, once we know the town better we'll know the best neighborhoods to live.
Did you notice I am in Oregon? Next door to you actually, if you are in Portland.

But I go to Crescent City and the redwoods about every 6 weeks. And if I wasn't so rooted in the local metro area with my particular work, I'd gladly move to the redwood coast and figure out some way to make a living or get a business growing. I know it rains an awful lot, but I've worked outdoors most of my life, and could probably enjoy hiking the redwoods constantly and never get worn out on it. Who knows, maybe I'd even try my hand at fishing down there too.

Here's the sunset from Crescent City, on New Years Day this year.

Keep in mind though, one must enjoy the fog and mist, probably a lot more days than the sunsets.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I like redwoodhikes.com too ...

Here's Jedediah Smith redwoods though ..

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I actually really like Redding. I've only been here since November 4th, though. But, I can give you my take so far.

There are a lot of homeless folk that walk around, hang around downtown. I haven't had any problems with them. I have seen a few that are screaming at imagined voices, that quickly walk down the street, though, lol! I've never found them to be scary. In fact, I have the friendliest dog on the planet, and when I walk her downtown and we go by a homeless person, I say hello and we usually end up chatting for a half a minute and they pet my dog sometimes, and off we both go. They seem to mind their own business.

They hang around downtown because there is a mission downtown that feeds them, and I think they can sleep there, too.

But, I don't see them everywhere else around town.

What I really like about Redding is that it's a kind of blend of the Pacific Northwest (I lived in WA for 18 years) and California. It's hilly and there are a lot of trees, from evergreen to deciduous to palm trees. You can see Mt Shasta, so you can see a snow covered mountain, while standing on a palm tree lined street. I just love it.

Lots of recreation. I'm not a big outdoor sport kind of person, but I take my dog to an open area park where dogs are allowed off leash that is right on the Sacramento River. So pretty. Supposed to be great fishing here.

I've found people in Redding to be really friendly. The people are more blue collar types, in general. Though, I see nicely dressed professionals often, too, especially because there is the Cascade Theater across the street from my apt, where events and concerts are held. And across the street next to the theater is a steakhouse, and downstairs below my apt is a nice wine bar. So, these businesses are frequented by people dressing up to go out.

There are often children's events/concerts at the Cascade theater, too, and I'll see school kids come on buses during the day, as well as families going to the theater at night. There's even a ballet studio for kids on up on my street just a few doors down from my bldg. So, people come downtown to frequent nice establishments, and with their families, too, without any problems - even though there are random homeless people also walking down the street.

Away from downtown, I find the town to be nice and most of the neighborhoods I've seen so far are well taken care of, and you don't see the homeless folk out in the neighborhoods - that I've seen.

There is a ton of shopping in Redding. Everything from Costco to Trader Joes, to Macy's, Wal-Mart, Target, Penney's...on and on.

It feels like a really big town to me, but not a super congested town/city like you find in the SF Bay Area. It's just right to me. I don't like really small towns, so I want a town big enough where I can go places and nobody knows me. I find that relaxing and freeing, whereas the small towns I lived in, I felt like I lived in a fish bowl.

The size of the town is small enough, though, that there are very short or no waiting lines wherever I go - including the Social Security office, the city utility office, the health clinic. After dealing with the lines and waits in the SF Bay Area, this is absolute heaven!

I went into the community health center to see about getting a prescription filled, and was told to sign in. I could hear the nurses behind the counter talking about how "slammed" they were. The waiting room was half full lol! So, "slammed" in Redding is nothing like "slammed" in San Jose.

Also, there are good health care options here, an emergency room 2 blocks away, etc.

Weather-wise the summers are exceptionally hot here. That will be a challenge for me. We did get a dusting of snow in November that stayed on the ground a few days. Normally, it rains a lot in the winter, I've been told, but not so far this year.

The real estate and rental prices are really affordable compared to the Bay Area or Sacramento or even Chico.

I have looked around Red Bluff and Anderson, both south of Redding. They are too small for me. Redding is just right - for me.

The schools don't look to be the best overall, but there are a few that appear to be pretty good:

GreatSchools.org Search: redding

As far as colleges, Chico would be the closest state college, I'm pretty sure.

I'll add some links for you to check out when you have time. It's nice that you have so many options to choose from!

https://www.google.com/search?q=redd...w=1280&bih=670

Cascade Theatre - HOME

Turtle Bay Exploration Park: Human. Nature. | Redding, CA

craigslist: redding classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Redding Recreation, Special Events

I noticed your name is Eagle fan. The birds or the band lol? We have resident bald eagles in town, too:

Eagle Cam: Turtle Bay Exploration Park: Human. Nature. | Redding, CA
thanks, that was very helpful, it sounds like a great city and i like the location, not too far from the mountains, s.f., and i think about 3hrs from the coast, actually the eaglefan is neither it's for the philadelphia football team, my hometown although i currently live in vancouver, wa, long story

Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Did you notice I am in Oregon? Next door to you actually, if you are in Portland.

But I go to Crescent City and the redwoods about every 6 weeks. And if I wasn't so rooted in the local metro area with my particular work, I'd gladly move to the redwood coast and figure out some way to make a living or get a business growing. I know it rains an awful lot, but I've worked outdoors most of my life, and could probably enjoy hiking the redwoods constantly and never get worn out on it. Who knows, maybe I'd even try my hand at fishing down there too.

Here's the sunset from Crescent City, on New Years Day this year.

Keep in mind though, one must enjoy the fog and mist, probably a lot more days than the sunsets.

yes i did, beaverton right? we're actually in vancouver. we just drove out the 26 today to canon beach, had to get our coast fill, haven't been since october and not a bad day for it. sounds like you know cc pretty well, i've only been there twice but think it would be great as we love the outdoors and that area has a lot to do, redwoods, ocean, smith river and mountains. also we really like visiting s.f. which is about 6hrs. away and big sur. do you know if it's true that cc gets about 40 less precip days than portland? but cc also gets about 30" more rain, must rain hard when it does rain. btw great pictures of the sunset (cloud formation is incredible) and the redwoods (did you take this one also? couldn't help noticing the lovely lady at the bottom right , thanks very much for your help and hopefully we'll be calling cc home soon.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,561,986 times
mdvaden, when I was visiting that area last August, the weather was beautiful except for one day of fog. I loved it! I stood on a trail in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, and felt the dampness of the air, inhaled the wonderful scents of the forest, and I realized that this is the way the redwoods should be experienced. It was one of the most peaceful moments of my life, as close to God as I'm ever likely to get on this earth.

Having said that, I could never live in that area. The lack of healthcare is a real issue, or it will be as I get older. I'm already 50 years old, and although I don't have any health problems now, that can't be said for the future. *sigh* I wish I had discovered the redwoods twenty years ago; I could have spent some wonderful years up there, and then moved back to L.A. when necessary. As it is, I'll have to settle for vacations.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
yes i did, beaverton right? we're actually in vancouver. we just drove out the 26 today to canon beach, had to get our coast fill, haven't been since october and not a bad day for it. sounds like you know cc pretty well, i've only been there twice but think it would be great as we love the outdoors and that area has a lot to do, redwoods, ocean, smith river and mountains. also we really like visiting s.f. which is about 6hrs. away and big sur. do you know if it's true that cc gets about 40 less precip days than portland? but cc also gets about 30" more rain, must rain hard when it does rain. btw great pictures of the sunset (cloud formation is incredible) and the redwoods (did you take this one also? couldn't help noticing the lovely lady at the bottom right , thanks very much for your help and hopefully we'll be calling cc home soon.
I believe that's realistic. In the same way the Grants Pass or Williams in Oregon probably have more clear and warm weeks, or months, but have rainfall in the 31" to 33" range, not far from Portland's tally. So I think you have the right facts for CC.

PS ... to clarify, I'm married, so the lovely lady is a local gal that models, whom I employed a couple of times, and did "trade" with a couple of other times, to get some sense-of-scale images and other portraits. But she is very photogenic though ... certainly fits the niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
mdvaden, when I was visiting that area last August, the weather was beautiful except for one day of fog. I loved it! I stood on a trail in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, and felt the dampness of the air, inhaled the wonderful scents of the forest, and I realized that this is the way the redwoods should be experienced. It was one of the most peaceful moments of my life, as close to God as I'm ever likely to get on this earth.

Having said that, I could never live in that area. The lack of healthcare is a real issue, or it will be as I get older. I'm already 50 years old, and although I don't have any health problems now, that can't be said for the future. *sigh* I wish I had discovered the redwoods twenty years ago; I could have spent some wonderful years up there, and then moved back to L.A. when necessary. As it is, I'll have to settle for vacations.
Prairie Creek is like the Gemstone of Redwood Parks.

The shot below is from Prairie Creek, with the same model as in a previous that I posted.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California