Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,615 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to San Luis Obispo in July 2014 (I Graduate College in May 2014) and she is a Math Teacher (also has her Masters). We have a 2 year old British Yellow Lab who is fully grown at 48 pounds. Our problem is that we're having a hard time finding a pet friendly house/apartment. The pet friendly apartments we have found are all currently booked full and any pet friendly houses that we find are all out of our budget ($1300, we can afford more but would rather save up for a house). Does anybody know of any pet friendly houses or apartments that will be available in July? Or if anybody has any suggestions on where to look that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,257,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontero1 View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to San Luis Obispo in July 2014 (I Graduate College in May 2014) and she is a Math Teacher (also has her Masters). We have a 2 year old British Yellow Lab who is fully grown at 48 pounds. Our problem is that we're having a hard time finding a pet friendly house/apartment. The pet friendly apartments we have found are all currently booked full and any pet friendly houses that we find are all out of our budget ($1300, we can afford more but would rather save up for a house). Does anybody know of any pet friendly houses or apartments that will be available in July? Or if anybody has any suggestions on where to look that would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know of any, but it must be frustrating not to find one. Have you or would you be willing to check out the towns about 10-12 miles southwest of SLO on the coast (Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Grover Beach, Arroyo Grande)? You could probably walk to the ocean from many homes there. I doubt that they would be more expensive to rent than SLO (with possible exception of Shell Beach).

In the northwest direction on or near the coast about 15 miles away are Morro Bay and Los Osos. As a last resort you could check the Atascadero/Templeton/Paso Robles region 15-25 miles north of SLO. FYI: Paso Robles for some reason gets very intense summer heat during the day (some days it would be impossible to walk the dog)...several 100 degree days while all the other towns I listed seldom rise above 80-85 degrees very often and have cool evenings.

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 339,026 times
I'd try Avila Beach, Morro Bay, Santa Margarita, Atascadero, Templeton... North of 46 East, Paso's about 40-45 minutes into SLO proper, depending on traffic... although the Rte. 101 fast lane, unlike so much of NorCal, is actually doing around 75-80 all_the_time.

SLO Town= overpriced, life-support system for Cal Poly but clean, safe and fun... pets and rentals almost mutually exclusive, especially for your price range- too bad, don't know why that is. They'll rent to six students at a time but Fido gets barred at the door, even with good renters and an additional security deposit? Just another tediously annoying and geographically limiting College Town Mystery.

Grover Beach/Oceano= crowded, overpriced pits, Pismo and Shell Beaches= way overpriced, Arroyo Grande=not bad, Los Osos, nice prices by comparison but *massive* digging, paving and sewage/water lines going in all over town... too bad- nice vibe, great folks, artsy but unpretentious craftspeople, and the legendary Sylvester's... Morro Bay- awesome in very way except but perhaps foggier than almost anywhere else on the central coast, though lots of sunny days there, too- try the Top Dog for coffee and breakfast and Sabetta's Pizza & Pasta for lunch on Main Street before heading out to one of the nearby parks and beaches. Great town, and occasionally a great rental to be had there. 15 minutes to SLO Town, too.

From Templeton on up, it's cheaper, hotter, friendlier, and dryer... evenings remain nice and cool in the summer and pretty cold in the winter everywhere in North County, including Paso Robles, even during summer hot spells... Paso after 4pm cools down nicely...

Any 1 BR rental for $1300.00 or under in the area bounded by Cambria>Avila Beach>Paso>Lake Nacimiento that allows pets and has a sane, honest *off-site* LL will be hard to find... but possible.

In Paso we found a pristine 2000+ square foot 3BR house with incredible views from the long deck overlooking a 40-acre vineyard, great neighbors, a wonderful top-rated 121-student school 3 miles away and the natural beauty of the rolling hills dotted with fence lines, cattle, vineyards and horse paddocks after six months of looking... $1600.00 a month with water and trash included, they didn't even blink at our intact 110 lb. Pit Bull puppy Gizmo, no extra security deposit at all for him. We get to visit SLO town for everything from Costco to bakeries to the legendary Farmers' Market, then go home in the hills with no noise but the gentle night breeze and occasional 'audio popcorn' of the coyotes!

The rentals are out there... when we moved down to SLO County from Santa Cruz, we did so mainly for the sake of our 11 year-old son who has Asperger's Syndrome... last Friday night at a borrowed SLO Methodist Church rec room my wife and I watched our son happily fall in with many other Asperger's kids in their tweens and teens at an SLO County Autism Resource Center- sponsored dance they are having this Friday, we realized that SLO County is unique in CA in many ways... there's nothing in SC County like the depth and breadth of resources for kids, young adults, older adults, fun hogs, etc... but there aren't enough jobs to go around. If you dislike being the last one standing when the music stops, come with a job contract in hand. You guys WILL find the rental you want!

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 11-11-2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM

2,271 posts, read 7,364,264 times
Look at Atascadero. It is an easy drive to SLO and many people commute because of the affordable prices in Atascadero. There is a new apartment complex called Las Lomas in Atascadero and they accept pets, although I'm not sure about the weight limit. Also, note that Atascadero has all kinds of micro-climates. In summer it will be hottest east of the 101. But seriously, if it's too hot one day, just take a drive to the coast where it will easily be 20-30 degrees cooler!

SLO is a really cute and fun town but seriously over priced.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,664,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
In the northwest direction on or near the coast about 15 miles away are Morro Bay and Los Osos. As a last resort you could check the Atascadero/Templeton/Paso Robles region 15-25 miles north of SLO. FYI: Paso Robles for some reason gets very intense summer heat during the day (some days it would be impossible to walk the dog)...several 100 degree days while all the other towns I listed seldom rise above 80-85 degrees very often and have cool evenings.
Atascadero and Templeton will have about the same number of 100 degree days and get over 90'F often during the summer.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Atascadero and Templeton will have about the same number of 100 degree days and get over 90'F often during the summer.
OK, you may be right. That means an Atascadero local lied or was mistaken in a conversation with me about five years ago when I was visiting the area. He told me they did not get as hot as Paso in the summer. I honestly thought Paso Robles had the hottest summers of any town in that region.

The general rule of thumb remains that the coastal areas are cooler and SLO is warm during the day in summer, but cooler that towns to its north (Templeton, Atascadero, Paso Robles).

Old 12-27-2013, 04:55 PM

2,271 posts, read 7,364,264 times
In summer, Paso gets hotter than Atascadero and it gets colder lows in the winter. That is no lie. Templeton and Atascadero have similar weather, but Paso definitely gets hotter.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:54 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,664,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
In summer, Paso gets hotter than Atascadero and it gets colder lows in the winter. That is no lie. Templeton and Atascadero have similar weather, but Paso definitely gets hotter.
It is a negligible difference IMO. 2-3 degree difference at most? Lets just say you will not feel refreshed if you make the 10 minute drive from Paso to Atascadero. Now go to SLO or Morro Bay on the other hand and you may need to bring a heavy sweatshirt.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
It is a negligible difference IMO. 2-3 degree difference at most? Lets just say you will not feel refreshed if you make the 10 minute drive from Paso to Atascadero. Now go to SLO or Morro Bay on the other hand and you may need to bring a heavy sweatshirt.
We can all agree with that last sentence...especially Morro Bay!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,824,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontero1 View Post
Get ready to fit a big bill for housing. You can probably find a pet friendly place to live, but it won't be cheap. Also check edna and the outskirts of town. Bit more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California