Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,543,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
what would 3 k get me?
A pretty decent place in a nicer area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 PM

486 posts, read 1,256,894 times
Quote:
what would 3 k get me?
A really nice laptop with access to craigslist.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 30,479 times
I've lived in the South Bay area my whole life and it's nice for the price.. I mean, most likely wont find much of anything more than a 1bd apartment in the beach cities for $1,500-$2,000, but look around Torrance, Hawthorne, Lawndale. I live in Hawthorne and pay $1295 for a 2bd 1ba detached house w/ single car garage and a nice size back yard... Not to say that's an easy find, but it's possible.... And every city is going to have its "ghetto" areas, for Torrance I recommend staying west of Western Ave. and towards the south you get into Lomita and Harbor City which are cheaper cities, but I hear mixed reviews about them.. For Hawthorne, stay south of El Segundo Blvd. and west of Prairie Ave.. best school district in Hawthorne is Wiseburn, that's where you'll find the nicest houses (Wiseburn/ Del Aire area) but they're most likely over $2,000/mo if they're up for rent. Torrance, I'm pretty sure all of their schools are really good, North Torrance is probably the cheaper part that isn't "ghetto". Lawndale's kind of a neutral city, not the best, not the worst. Each of these cities are around/less than 5 miles from the beach.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,063,550 times
2 bedrooms, newer complex, gym, pool, etc. Pets OK, Agoura Hills (also other locations):

Archstone Agoura Hills near Los Angeles - 30856 Agoura Road - Archstone Apartments in Los Angeles

Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,610,369 times
You can rent an apartment or condo for that budget in many areas of San Diego, too.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 AM

116 posts, read 378,371 times
Default Best bang for your buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
You could rent out in the IE or Palmdale/Lancaster. Far away, but generally less expensive.
Lancaster/Palmdale are further away, but much safer than many parts of LA.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,789,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pears View Post
Lancaster/Palmdale are further away, but much safer than many parts of LA.
I've lived in Palmdale for the past 11 years, coming from Ventura County. I really miss Ventura County, but it is difficult to pass up on the cost of housing and general cost-of-living in the Antelope Valley. It's a bit of a drive back "down below", but there are some things that make it worth living out here.

There is much less smog. Pretty much none. A few dust storms from time to time, caused by the high winds over the solar farms. Since they put down some ground cover, it hasn't been a problem. It sure gets hot out here in the summer, but the humidity is very low, so not really an issue. And, it get really, really cold in the winter. Snows every few years, enough that it sticks around for a few days. One recent year, it stuck for about a week.

Best part about being up here is the openness. One, two miles and you are out of the city into the wide open desert. Lots of open space, and you can actually see the surrounding mountains every day, unlike if in the LA Basin.

One thing to remember . . . if you come up here, make sure you live on the west side of the freeway! I didn't learn this until I was already established up here. It didn't take too long to figure out why. I'm glad I did purchase on the west side.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 PM

19 posts, read 51,744 times
Quote:
what would 1500-2k get me in LA?
When you say LA do you mean like Hollywood or surrounding areas? Or LA county? Not sure what prices are like in the hills or downtown, I know they're on the expensive side, but by the coast in LA, for a studio will run high $1,000's. Why move to So Cal anyway? Sucks here haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California