Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times

Advertisements

This is mainly for transplants. I'm wondering, since moving to California, are you more laid back?

I like to dress up. I come from places where you're supposed to look your best every time you go out. But here people are so casual. People dress so casual even when going to high-end places.

I was out wearing shorts in public today, something I seldom do. I guess the California culture is getting to me, I'm loosening up a little. But I'm only about halfway there. I'm working in the same field I did back home, but people here wear jeans and whatever they want to work. I've considered dressing up at work, but I don't know if management would take that too well.

What about in other areas? Has the California culture made you more relaxed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
It's a misnomer to say "Laid back" in the LA metro. Traffic and high housing prices make it pretty stressful compared to many other places.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
I think he means must in general style. There are different types of laid back PDF. San Francisco for example is a bit more uptight than the rest of the west coast. LA has the issues Charles mentioned. The PC mentality anywhere can make it seem not so laid back and in that sense it isn't.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 PM

21,731 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
This is mainly for transplants. I'm wondering, since moving to California, are you more laid back?

I like to dress up. I come from places where you're supposed to look your best every time you go out. But here people are so casual. People dress so casual even when going to high-end places.

I was out wearing shorts in public today, something I seldom do. I guess the California culture is getting to me, I'm loosening up a little. But I'm only about halfway there. I'm working in the same field I did back home, but people here wear jeans and whatever they want to work. I've considered dressing up at work, but I don't know if management would take that too well.

What about in other areas? Has the California culture made you more relaxed?
Coming from Minnesota dressing up meant looking like the Michelin man in an Eskimo parka and mukluks much of the year. I like shorts. Working. Torching a doobie. Whatever. California suits me. Yeah pun intended.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes. I came from a place where I had no contact with other cultures and 98% of the population looked like me. I lived in areas in CA where I was different from 99% of the town's population. I got to know and work with people of many different races and cultures. I learned how to sneak around beach guards to go surfing, how to follow immigrants to find cheaper shopping, and how to palate different types of food and think in different ways. I am much less uptight now than in the past. Living in CA made me relaxed enough to go backpacking around dozens of different countries and take major life change in stride. Economic opportunities in CA taught me how to manage a small business and make money outside of just a normal 9-to-6.

Now I'm stuck in Boston around loads of uptight Northeasterners, and I really don't fit in at all. I'm anxious to get back to sunny, crowded, dirty, fun, laid-back, wild, calm, and aggravating California.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 PM

129 posts, read 164,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Yes. I came from a place where I had no contact with other cultures and 98% of the population looked like me. I lived in areas in CA where I was different from 99% of the town's population. I got to know and work with people of many different races and cultures. I learned how to sneak around beach guards to go surfing, how to follow immigrants to find cheaper shopping, and how to palate different types of food and think in different ways. I am much less uptight now than in the past. Living in CA made me relaxed enough to go backpacking around dozens of different countries and take major life change in stride. Economic opportunities in CA taught me how to manage a small business and make money outside of just a normal 9-to-6.

Now I'm stuck in Boston around loads of uptight Northeasterners, and I really don't fit in at all. I'm anxious to get back to sunny, crowded, dirty, fun, laid-back, wild, calm, and aggravating California.
Where are you from Sponger?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM

159 posts, read 646,217 times
Yes. I found California to be super laid back, and SoCal even more so. I didn't think twice about strolling into Ralphs in gym shorts, white t-shirt, and flip flops. There were others of like-dress.

NorCal is pretty laid back as well, but I wouldn't wear that kind of ensemble outside the home.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM

260 posts, read 656,691 times
I guess I'm less reclusive than I use to be, which comes with having to deal with the higher population density, though I'll blame my DH for that. He gradually indoctrinated me into his Cali ways, lol. I would have gravitated to the places with lower Pop. Density if it weren't for him.
The wardrobe garb is the opposite for me, I found it far less laid back than where I'm from.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Living in CA made me relaxed enough to go backpacking around dozens of different countries and take major life change in stride. Economic opportunities in CA taught me how to manage a small business and make money outside of just a normal 9-to-6.
Awesome, Sponger. Taking advantage of any opps is true growth & it's wonderful you were able to do so. Congrats on your success, all around!

[/quote]Now I'm stuck in Boston around loads of uptight Northeasterners, and I really don't fit in at all. I'm anxious to get back to sunny, crowded, dirty, fun, laid-back, wild, calm, and aggravating California.[/quote]

Ugh, I hear ya... same here on all accounts. Having lived in Boston for a long time & being very happy for departing, forcing me to return would be like trying to get a cat into a bathtub. I haven't missed it once, ever.

I found the same as others & so much depends upon which part of the city one settles. I lived in L.A./Long Beach & found that to be just as stressful as any other large city, as I was in traffic a lot, lived in a loud bldg in a crime infested neighborhood. That's not easy no matter the state.

But, 2-yrs in San Diego... ahh. We're returning in 5-mos & don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Living there is a breath of fresh air to us. Particularly for me, working in the corporate world & living in cold cities where black, woolen & long hemmed attire is the norm & boots are worn for warmth, not style, CA casual dressing in daily sandals & bright, light colors & fabrics is a dream come true. It affords the opportunity to wear much more feminine clothing, imho, which I love. I find SoCal people to be very friendly & far more polite than Boston, London & NYC, although I love the latter 2 places, too. What others call rudeness or indifference in large cities doesn't get to me... I had a lifetime of it. But, experiencing the opposite in SoCal (in my experience), well, I prefer it that way now.

So, PDF, I too feel far more laid back in SD, enjoy being outside more often & not having to think about umbrellas/heavier coats/scarves/gloves every time I leave the house, enjoy the lighter, funner dressing far more, like that people walk slower, talk slower & take the time for pleasantries more often (in cold climates, we're always racing to get inside or to catch a train/bus), have the opportunity to eat outdoors more often & enjoy fresher fruits & veggies in abundance. Housing costs can be higher, but, no place has everything. It's changed us for the better & my SO did say that when we're on the ocean, which we did almost daily, I laugh non-stop (I had no idea). For us, SoCal has most of what we're looking for...

Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
San Francisco definitely has a different vibe about clothing. Things I wear in the valley or SoCal definitely tag me as an out-of-towner if I wear them in SF. Basically, I make more of an effort when I go there to dress a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California