Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM

38 posts, read 58,054 times

Advertisements

Since moving to San Diego from Ann Arbor, MI 8 months or so ago, I've heard a lot of people reference the "California car culture" - mostly in conjunction with how lousy public transit is and why you need a car in SD/LA/SoCal in general.

While I do get that public transit in most urban areas of California isn't up to the standards of the East Coast - and most everybody uses a car to get around - I don't see how this makes a distinct "California car culture" different from what you would find in, say, the major metro areas of the Southeast or Midwest (Chicago possibly excepted). Most people use cars in places like Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, Detroit, Indianapolis and the like as well - really most of the US save for a few scattered cities. What makes California distinct in this regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,085,592 times
It's the same thing really. I think it's that Southern Californians realize that spending half their lives stuck in traffic sucks and know it would be great to have an alternative. Also people compare SoCal to NorCal where there's more of a possibility of riding a bus or train to work, but even in NorCal life revolves around the car for the vast majority of people.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM

3,249 posts, read 6,309,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pi314 View Post
What makes California distinct in this regard?
Attend an event and find out!

SoCalCarCulture - Car Show and Events Calendar

Cruisin' Grand Cruisin' Grand Escondido Home

Car Show Calendar for California - one of the largest California Car Show Event Swap Meet and Cruise Calendars on the web - CaliforniaCarShows.org

Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,435,050 times
I think it's just the culture out here. People assume you're poor if you are car-free out here, but public transit is starting to make headway. It's different on the East coast, even in the car-dominated cities you mentioned in your OP.

Also, there is so much nature and places to see in CA that not having a car does limit your access. Just a car culture out here.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,853,578 times
When family used to come out here from the midwest, the first thing they noticed was the prevalence of neato exotic cars, the likes of which they never see back home (well, duh, Ferraris don't do well in the snow). Besides being the critical means of getting around, also the #1 status symbol to show off to others. Whether one can really afford it or not. The "car culture" was foisted on L.A. in particular by auto manufacturers lobbying to have public transportation dumped in favor of reliance on automobiles and freeways.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Attend an event and find out!

Or rent a convertible and take PCH north on any given 75 degree day in February.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
When family used to come out here from the midwest, the first thing they noticed was the prevalence of neato exotic cars, the likes of which they never see back home (well, duh, Ferraris don't do well in the snow).
Yep, not to mention the standard issue cars that are 50 years old and don't have a speck of rust on 'em.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 AM

23,574 posts, read 24,096,042 times
The car culture is more prevalent in SoCal. The mentality in SoCal seems to be: "who you are is what car you drive".

In the Bay Area, most people drive a nice German car, or a hybrid (Prius, etc) which are the accepted cars.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,168,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The car culture is more prevalent in SoCal. The mentality in SoCal seems to be: "who you are is what car you drive".

In the Bay Area, most people drive a nice German car, or a hybrid (Prius, etc) which are the accepted cars.
I've started seeing Teslas on a daily basis, and I am not exaggerating. Sometimes I see 2-3 in a single trip. They are for sure the new status symbol, and everyone notices them.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
Interesting you point that out I've been noticing them recently..like the past month or so?...perhaps the Tesla is the new Prius for the rich?

Personally I think the TESLA looks MUCH nicer....of course it's quite a bit more $$

but im surprised it looks like they start around $59k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California