Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,656,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypie View Post
Exactly. There's certain protections/benefits that marriage provides i.e. regarding taxes/insurance rates/hospital visitation/military/death benefits...etc. which is why I think marriage is so important in the legal sense.

I will add just on a personal level, a close friend just had a marriage ceremony with her longtime partner in CA. Having lived outside of CA for yrs. I actually had to look up whether marriage was legal for gay couples & I was disappointed to see it wasn't. They have been together since college, bought a house together, are looking into adopting. I've heard several arguments against gay marriage but I just don't get how people believe her relationship is any less loving or valid than my marriage.

I also heard a news report recently that if Prop. 8 was voted on today in CA it would not pass. I agree just based on the opinions of family/friends who live in the state but I'm curious what others think.
There seems to be a really interesting paradigm shift in the way the public is viewing this debate. Basically, there haven't been any compelling arguments against gay marriage that aren't based on the Bible. So now you have conservatives like Bill O'Reilly who have come out in tentative favor of gay marriage based on the fact that the Bible is not a good basis for policy in a secular society which has decided that the government does have a role in marriage and defined the benefits and protections that stem from that. It also seems, and I could be proven wrong, that the Supreme Court doesn't have a great legal basis for upholding DOMA. Prop 8 could still stand, mostly from a state's rights perspective, they'd have to rule (a) that the defendants have legal standing to present the case (the current active ruling is that the lower courts have struck it down, and California will not defend the law) and (b) that equal protection doesn't apply, and there's some legitimate state interest in restricting this right from certain people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,557,224 times
I think the main reason prop 8 would go back for a vote (really a proposition to repeal prop 8) if DOMA is overturned, but prop 8 is upheld, is that then you would have a huge difference between people that are married and those are in domestic partnerships, mainly that if you're married you get federal level rights that go along with marriage.

I don't know how a vote would go today if it were held today (instead of 2014 or 2016), but I would imagine the same issues would show up again as in the prop 8 vote in 2008, we should expect at least $5M to come from Utah to defend prop 8. Last time both sides raised around $40M, about 1/3 from out of state, I imagine next time closer to $30M for each side. California has over 10% of the US population, it is a big deal outside the state as well it seems.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,836,845 times
So this is a legal question and not a social or moral one?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 AM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I think the main reason prop 8 would go back for a vote (really a proposition to repeal prop 8) if DOMA is overturned, but prop 8 is upheld, is that then you would have a huge difference between people that are married and those are in domestic partnerships, mainly that if you're married you get federal level rights that go along with marriage.

I don't know how a vote would go today if it were held today (instead of 2014 or 2016), but I would imagine the same issues would show up again as in the prop 8 vote in 2008, we should expect at least $5M to come from Utah to defend prop 8. Last time both sides raised around $40M, about 1/3 from out of state, I imagine next time closer to $30M for each side. California has over 10% of the US population, it is a big deal outside the state as well it seems.
If it gets to that, then I hope some zealots dont resort to harrassing people for spending their own money to participate in a political cause they care about, just because they disagree with you. That was shameful and disgusting.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
So this is a legal question and not a social or moral one?
From the perspective of the Supreme Court, yes. They have to rule on the Constitutionality of the cases, which is mostly based on the so-called equal protection clause of the 14th amendment, which was an attempt to severely limit the instances where someone's rights could be restricted in comparison to others. But there are several ways to rule--for instance, if they don't believe the defendants of the California Prop 8 prohibition of gay marriage have the legal standing to defend the law (Standing (law) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), they could refuse to rule on it (which is weird, since they've already heard the case--you'd think these things would get hashed out ahead of time).

Random personal note: Anthony Kennedy, widely regarded as the swing vote in the case, grew up about a mile from my house, went to high school just down the street, and is the longest-serving professor at the local law school.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post

Sadly, you're probably right. But there's a chance that opinion will have shifted enough that opponents of the effort to overturn prop 8 may have to realize that not only will they be throwing money away, but face serious criticism. Even the Mormon Church isn't totally immune from popular opinion, given their recent "nooooooooo, we love gays, we just don't want them to do gay stuff" campaign.

For about the best analysis one could ask for on the future of popular opinion on gay marriage, we turn to Nate Silver: How Opinion on Same-Sex Marriage Is Changing, and What It Means - NYTimes.com

Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypie View Post
Exactly. There's certain protections/benefits that marriage provides i.e. regarding taxes/insurance rates/hospital visitation/military/death benefits...etc. which is why I think marriage is so important in the legal sense.

Quote:
I will add just on a personal level, a close friend just had a marriage ceremony with her longtime partner in CA. Having lived outside of CA for yrs. I actually had to look up whether marriage was legal for gay couples & I was disappointed to see it wasn't. They have been together since college, bought a house together, are looking into adopting. I've heard several arguments against gay marriage but I just don't get how people believe her relationship is any less loving or valid than my marriage.
I also heard a news report recently that if Prop. 8 was voted on today in CA it would not pass. I agree just based on the opinions of family/friends who live in the state but I'm curious what others think.
Domestic Partnership will work just as good as Homosexual Marriage ' don't you think ' ???!!!! , really the motivation behind the push for Homosexual Marriage is psychological " trying to make the general public think that Homosexual Sexual Relationships " are as normal as Heterosexual Relationships ( Marriage).

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Domestic Partnership will work just as good as Homosexual Marriage ' don't you think ' ???!!!! , really the motivation behind the push for Homosexual Marriage is psychological " trying to make the general public think that Homosexual Sexual Relationships " are as normal as Heterosexual Relationships ( Marriage).
Normal? Heterosexual marriage is as contrived as anything else. Based on mindless traditions mostly created by religious fantasies. Reminds me of George Bernard Shaw's quote
Quote:
“When two people are under the influence of the most violent, most insane, most delusive, and most transient of passions, they are required to swear that they will remain in that excited, abnormal, and exhausting condition continuously until death do them part.”

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Normal? Heterosexual marriage is as contrived as anything else. Based on mindless traditions mostly created by religious fantasies. Reminds me of George Bernard Shaw's quote
I'm not Anti-Homosexual or Gay in any way or fashion and supported Domestic Partnership from the Get Go.....
the start , and anyway what civil rights were Gays Ever Lacking In The Great State Of CALIFORNIA. Somebody is going to be happy and somebody is going to be sad come September 2013. The Federal Government messed up with DOMA they should have given Domestic Partnership ALL FEDERAL GOV BENEFITS and RIGHTS that would've saved the INSTITUTION OF HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE..

Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,423,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Baloney!!! I think this C-D member said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The term "marriage" has a symbolic value in society. There's a difference between saying "this is my husband" and "this is my boyfriend". Denying homosexuals the right to marry implies that their relationship is inferior and not worthy of the same recognition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California