Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,772,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Those would be the dust bowl crowd.
Hi. Nice to meet you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,418,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Hi. Nice to meet you.
Yeah, we were the ones at the border trying to prevent your entrance, rather unsuccessfully.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,772,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yeah, we were the ones at the border trying to prevent your entrance, rather unsuccessfully.
Great-Grandpa walked on to Tulare and found a farmer around Tagus Ranch that would hire him.

Let this be a lesson though. It's hard to stop people who sense opportunity if they are coming from nothing.

Southpark - They Took Our Job! - YouTube

Last edited by Senno; 02-03-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM

5,993 posts, read 13,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Those aren't "SoCal".
Norco is. Santa Ynez valley is outside Santa Barbara generally considered "SoCal".

Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,564,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Norco is. Santa Ynez valley is outside Santa Barbara generally considered "SoCal".
I put three things in bold in my reply - you might want to check again what I was actually referring to.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,160,525 times
San Juan Capistrano
Silverado, Santiago and Trabuco Canyons

Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,754,865 times
I don't consider "Western" a fashion to follow, that goes along with all the non cowboys who wear western hats, "All hat, no Cattle".

Western is a culture based on cattle and horse farming and usages. And should be strictly utilitarian. One could stretch that to agriculture, although most growers I know tend to ball caps.

I wear a western hat when I am using my horse, you won't see me walking around town in one, or even driving my truck with one on.
I wear it because it shades my northern european skin from the sun, and when I bend over my horses back and push through the encroaching chapparall, it protects my head.
While in camp and loading the mules I will wear a ball cap, as the wide brim of the Western hat gets in my way.
I wear shotgun chaps to protect my legs from chaparral, although i find it humorous to wear $300.00 chaps to protect a $40 pair of jeans!
You won't find me in town with chaps on.
I generally wear a straw gardener hat while working on the ranch, or a floppy cotton hat while hiking.
I wear snap button shirts, because I want breast pockets on both sides of the shirt and I want to secure the contents against falling out.
I wear Wranglers because of the way the crotch is sewn, Levis will give one an abrasion.
I ride and work in hiking boots, I don't wear cowboy boots, they are for riding, not for walking or working in, and in the back country, I do plenty of walking and working,
I do own a pair of packer boots which are a semi pointed toe, lace up, low heel boot, but, hiking boots are more comfortable.
I wear spurs strapped over the hiking boots, as my horses are trained to respond to spurs.

If I see any one with any of the above accoutrement they best have cow manure or horse pucky on their boots, or I consider them a poseur fashionista. And a rattlesnake head band or a feather are major fashion don'ts.

I do have a very cool large belt buckle, a Condor belt buckle that cannot be purchased but must be earned. I am very proud of that.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,543,768 times
Pretty much anywhere in the hinterlands. They are cowboying up wherever cattle and / or horses are raised / kept. The innermost realms are the most interesting due to the contrast with nearby citified transplanted greenhorns.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,488 times
If you are in the AV, you say yer gonna go Down Below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California